BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
View Poll Results: What is your level of interest
Planning on buying an X3M 45 50.56%
Planning on buying an X4M 16 17.98%
Was strongly considering one but after release am disappointed and passing 21 23.60%
Was never going to buy one 7 7.87%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

05-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #23
DETSGTSTARSKY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I certainly would like to test drive one when available to see what I think. I wouldn't buy for 3-4 years anyway toward the end of the production run to let any bugs get worked out. I don't like that the exec pack includes a panoramic roof which I don't want. Doesn't have to be carbon fiber but a total delete is a must. Half of the other options on the exec pack I don't care about but I guess would pay for them to get the few options I do want. I would hope a leather dash option would be available later. I also don't understand why the rear tires are more narrow than what is on the X3M40i.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #24
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Just ordered an X3M Comp

New member, longtime BMW owner. Well, I just ordered a comp X3M, so I must be seriously interested. I'm in time to delay my order and can't decide if I should hold out for the CF strut bar in August. I need the car by the end of summer for some family vacation, but would almost wait anyway if there was a significant performance difference. Does anyone know if the carbon cross bar is more aestetics than anything else, or does it actually significantly improve cornering? I could live with the looks of a metal bar over carbon under a hood I will rarely open. I would, on the other hand, be quite disappointed if my rush to build resulted in inferior control in the corners. Can anyone share their thoughts/experience? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 12:51 AM   #25
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
New member, longtime BMW owner. Well, I just ordered a comp X3M, so I must be seriously interested. I'm in time to delay my order and can't decide if I should hold out for the CF strut bar in August. I need the car by the end of summer for some family vacation, but would almost wait anyway if there was a significant performance difference. Does anyone know if the carbon cross bar is more aestetics than anything else, or does it actually significantly improve cornering? I could live with the looks of a metal bar over carbon under a hood I will rarely open. I would, on the other hand, be quite disappointed if my rush to build resulted in inferior control in the corners. Can anyone share their thoughts/experience? Thanks
It's gotta be just bling, and it costs extra I believe. Not important to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #26
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
For one, it looks identical to the one I have now except the wheels; they look borrowed from an electric car. I won't turn down a test drive though.
I’ve seen both the M40i and X3M and they are most definitely not identical in appearance.

The pic is from last week when I was down at the Performance Center accepting delivery of my wife’s X5. They had a couple X3M’s out front, just delivered....think they said they were press cars.

Cheers,
Attached Images

Max Well4690.50
ando1954.50
      05-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #27
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETSGTSTARSKY View Post
I certainly would like to test drive one when available to see what I think. … I don't like that the exec pack includes a panoramic roof which I don't want. Doesn't have to be carbon fiber but a total delete is a must. Half of the other options on the exec pack I don't care about but I guess would pay for them to get the few options I do want. ...
Agreed with the roof, which is why I’m waiting to order for the new August builds, when we can at least order the ‘M Driver’s Pkg’ which deletes the moon roof. Have to pay more for that option but then they delete the cost of the moon roof so not a major issue for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
New member, longtime BMW owner. Well, I just ordered a comp X3M. … I'm in time to delay my order and can't decide if I should hold out for the CF strut bar in August. … Does anyone know if the carbon cross bar is more aesthetics than anything else, or does it actually significantly improve cornering? I could live with the looks of a metal bar over carbon under a hood I will rarely open. … Thanks
Welcome to the Forum, MrItaly. The CF strut bar certainly should be able to be added post-production so wouldn’t delay your order based on that alone. Over in Europe you can apparently order the X3M without the heavy Moon roof now, so as ID7 is apparently not an issue anymore, wouldn’t see a major issue to wait IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
I’ve seen both the M40i and X3M and they are most definitely not identical in appearance. The pic is from last week when I was down at the Performance Center accepting delivery of my wife’s X5. They had a couple X3M’s out front, just delivered....think they said they were press cars. Cheers,
Thanks for sharing the image and your thoughts. Your image suggests this one may not have had the Moon Roof? If you can confirm, that would be the first X3M I’ve seen without one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #28
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Thanks for sharing the image and your thoughts. Your image suggests this one may not have had the Moon Roof? If you can confirm, that would be the first X3M I’ve seen without one.
Yeah, no moonroof. Here are a couple other shots of the exterior. Trying to shoot through the window to get the interior was troublesome due to the glare of the late afternoon sun and the pollen covered windows

The black X5 40i in the background is the Mrs.... it’s a nice upgrade all around from the previous gen.

Cheers,
Attached Images

Max Well4690.50
jzmundy991.00
      05-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #29
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
So going from a 12 lbs/HP rig to 9.2 lbs/HP is not good enough to ignore the weight? I doubt anyone is going to feel the extra weight. In fact I bet people will think it feels lighter in actual driving experiences.

It only takes 25-30 extra HP to negate that 300 lbs of weight gain in comparison to M40i.
Not necessarily. I have both a Stelvio Quadrifoglio and Stelvio Ti Sport. The Quadrifoglio is an absolute beast, but if I’m being completely honest, I grab the keys to the Ti Sport 4:1 over the Quadrifoglio, primarily because if just feels more nimble, despite having only 60% of the QVs power. Never would have thought that, but the added weight is pretty noticeable, so only time will tell how the X3M wears its weight.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #30
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Yeah, no moonroof. Here are a couple other shots of the exterior. ... Cheers,
Excellent, BimmerBahn - thanks again for sharing. Looks great without the Moon Roof - first I have ever seen without it. Makes perfect sense they are supplying Reviewers and Press examples without the heavy Moon Roof, esp for teams like C&D knowing they will be put through the paces of skid pads and slaloms, weights, CG, ... If one is producing a 'serious' Performance SUV/SAV product, would be hypocritical to provide samples with that top-heavy load for objective testing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Max Well; 05-05-2019 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Image didn't load
Appreciate 1
ando1954.50
      05-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #31
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, no moonroof. Here are a couple other shots of the exterior. Trying to shoot through the window to get the interior was troublesome due to the glare of the late afternoon sun and the pollen covered windows

The black X5 40i in the background is the Mrs.... it’s a nice upgrade all around from the previous gen.

Cheers,
Thanks for the photos. Makes me continue to second guess if I want to go donington, dark graphite, or phytonic. Interesting to see the silver exhaust tips on that comp.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 10:18 PM   #32
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for sharing the image and your thoughts. Your image suggests this one may not have had the Moon Roof? If you can confirm, that would be the first X3M I've seen without one.

The black X5 40i in the background is the Mrs.... it's a nice upgrade all around from the previous gen.

Cheers,
Thanks for the photos. Makes me continue to second guess if I want to go donington, dark graphite, or phytonic. Interesting to see the silver exhaust tips on that comp.
that's not a comp X3M. it just has the 21" wheels
      05-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #33
BeemmeupSF
Rep
Drives: X4M40i, 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
Standard M does not have black grill, black m mirrors. This seems to be the real comp.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #34
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for sharing the image and your thoughts. Your image suggests this one may not have had the Moon Roof? If you can confirm, that would be the first X3M I've seen without one.

The black X5 40i in the background is the Mrs.... it's a nice upgrade all around from the previous gen.

Cheers,
It has a comp badge on the back.........
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #35
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
It also has the seats from the comp.

I like the high gloss bits on the comp however, as other noted the black diffuser and black pipes blend together too much. I like how on this one you can easily distinguish the quad pipes. IMO, they should probably come like this. (Still black bits everywhere else)

I do wish that the X4M could get the pano delete as well. And that doing so would change the roof to high gloss black.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:47 AM   #36
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

I agree, it should come with the silver pipes (and optional in black for those who prefer this look), it gives it a more distinguished look. The car on the left seems to have the black pipes (it may be just the lightning though) and you can't see anything, looks just like a "normal" X3 IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #37
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemmeupSF View Post
Quote:
Standard M does not have black grill, black m mirrors. This seems to be the real comp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barathon View Post
Quote:

I like the high gloss bits on the comp however, as other noted the black diffuser and black pipes blend together too much. I like how on this one you can easily distinguish the quad pipes. IMO, they should probably come like this. (Still black bits everywhere else)

I do wish that the X4M could get the pano delete as well. And that doing so would change the roof to high gloss black.
my bad. didn't really look too closely at the pics
      05-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #38
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Yup, I actually liked the silver tips vs the black on the one next to it. I didn’t notice any other difference between the two, but I was in a bit of a hurry.
      05-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #39
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yup, I actually liked the silver tips vs the black on the one next to it. I didn't notice any other difference between the two, but I was in a bit of a hurry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barathon View Post
Quote:

for those who don't like the black exhaust tips, I can think of 2 options:

1) switch out with the chrome ones (when available in parts dept) or

2) paint the rear diffuser body color leaving the center piece mesh black (my preference)
      05-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #40
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
about 80% sure will be buying a x4m comp . price is better than m5c . still an M car with 500hp. x4mc about 86k with my spec. m5c 130k
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 12:12 AM   #41
BeemmeupSF
Rep
Drives: X4M40i, 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
about 80% sure will be buying a x4m comp . price is better than m5c . still an M car with 500hp. x4mc about 86k with my spec. m5c 130k
That’s what I been saying!!

40k less and your getting a monster of a car that is fun as hell to drive. My m40i feels like a hatchback on steroids. Can’t imagine what this thing will feel like.
Appreciate 2
Transfer5242.50
FSociety3810.00
      05-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #42
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Going to want to test drive before considering it, but I am very interested. Also considering a MB E63S wagon, the X3 Competition would save me almost $30k, if the performance is good enough. Still trying to decide between practical (X5 50i, MB G550, Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid) or extremely fast...
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      05-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #43
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETSGTSTARSKY View Post
I also don't understand why the rear tires are more narrow than what is on the X3M40i.
BMW must feel the way they set up the suspension, that a 265 rear tire is adequate. Still a major embarrassment that the M40i has wider rear tires then the full blown X3M.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      05-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #44
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
BMW must feel the way they set up the suspension, that a 265 rear tire is adequate. Still a major embarrassment that the M40i has wider rear tires then the full blown X3M.
I have a feeling, 265 in the rear for X3M/X4M is to combat under-steer.

My X5 and X6, feels ok until I own an M3. Shit, the under-steer at the beginning of turn is not even funny on 305 tires for my X6, that sport package size from factory btw, it looks mighty good though, I still love the look of my E71 X6 actually.

If X3M or X4M, lease falls north of $1000/mo I may bite the bullet and get 2019 X6M, a friend just got a crazy deal for $1200/mo on one of those. But that's a big bullet to bite
Appreciate 0