BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
smkuma
Rep
Drives: Lexus ES 300

BMW extended maintenance plan/service contract

I am thinking of going with extended maintenance plan/service contract (7 years) http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...contracts.aspx
for the new 2018 BMW X3 I am planning to buy. Since this is the first time, I am planning to own new BMW (always had Toyota/Honda for last 20 years), I am planning to go with this extended maintenance plan/service contract for the peace of mind.

While, 2018 comes BMW X3 with 3 yr/30K miles limited maintenance plan and 4 yr/48K miles warranty. I am not worried about extended warranty now. I am planning to think about the extended warranty towards the end of warranty expiration (about 3 to 4 years from now). Also I am thinking of cost effective options such as GEICO mechanical breakdown insurance
for the extended warranty.

So my focus is to get the extended maintenance plan/service contract - 7 year plan, with as much better deal as possible.

Please advise the best deal you got for the extended maintenance plan/service contract - 7 year plan?

I am thinking of the following options

1. I think I will just need 75K miles /7 years plan rather than 100K miles or 125K miles... Would I be able to get a better deal if I go for 75K miles 7 years plan?

2. Also I am thinking of Gold Plan compared to Platinum plan
Platinum provides coverage for the following, which the Gold package does not... Otherwise both are same...
Power mirror motors
Head lamps, head lamp assemblies and lenses
INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM
CD player/changer
Entertainment system
Navigation system and components
Radio
What is your opinion on Platinum plan vs. Gold plan?

3. Does shopping around with the different BMW dealers help to get a better deal?

Do you have any suggestions to reduce the cost for the extended maintenance plan/service contract.

Also do you think if it is a good idea if I plan for the extended maintenance plan/service contract towards the end of extended maintenance plan (ie., 2.5 to 3 years from now) rather than now.

Last edited by smkuma; 03-04-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

I went ahead with the extended service plan they offered like you're describing. covered a few extra items beyond oil changes like wiper blades, brakes, rotors when they need replacement and then also gave the option to extend the warranty like you said to the 7 year mark...which I plan on doing just before the 3 year mark.

I only got them down on the tire and wheel protection plan as I was unsure if I actually wanted that or not. on my last bmw I only used it 3 times in 3 years I had it, would have needed to use it about 3 more times within that 5 year window I was allowed to make a claim for me to reap the benefits. (it was also a pita because it was a different company bmw used to make a claim, not bmw themselves. I understand now that bmw does it all) I did not ruin any rim though, just the tires from construction near my home at the time, 2 nails within a few weeks...that might have paid for itself had I cracked a rim.

I know I will be driving this car more often on longer road trips so I opted for that protection.

I did not see a gold or platinum option. I assume that's at the point when I extend the warranty.

I got so much off msrp and the wheel/tire protection I just agreed on the extended warranty price, which wasn't much at all.

when I set up geico I did not opt for their offer of the breakdown insurance.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

There's a lot of good info in the other thread you started about the Extended Warranty.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463102

Maybe we should merge them so all the information is in one spot?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I bought the 6 yr 100,000 extended maintenance package for my new M40i.
$3900.

I'm not a fan of extended warranty "just in case" something expensive breaks after 50,000 miles.

BUT the maintenance package more or less pays itself over the ownership.
Appreciate 0