BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Merino leather sensitive/fragile?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first car with Merino leather seats, I took the Tartufo as I m a big fan of the combo: dark grey outside + brown inside. But I have no experience with Merino leather seats before.

In my previous cars (3 times brown, 1 time black) The leather was Nevada, and I have never had any issue, even if I never cleaned / took care of the seats.

So after a year of owning the F98, my driver seat has strongly darken. I have applied a leather care kit from BMW (in the evening letting it having a rest during the night), with not a real success. Some parts were a bit better. But then after the treatment , the leather darkened even quicker mostly in the back area (one detail; I don't wear jeans).

I gave it to my dealer to clean it, but with 2 attemps they could not bring it back to it's original colour, using 2 differents way of cleaning it.

So my question to those who are used with Merino leather seats, are you spending all your weekend to clean it? Is this leather so sensitive to sweat?
thx for your comments.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

The leather is sealed but dye transfer can be visible on the surface with the lighter coloured leathers, I use a good leather cleaner and a soft leather brush to clean the leather every 6 months together with a microfibre cloth to lift the excess away and dry, that's always worked on all my merino leathers.
      10-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
MaxGainz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Like wills2 said. Cleaning only, no need to treat it as its already sealed. I had merino leather in my last vehicule and just water+washing machine soap was enough to clean and make it look new. But for lighter color dye transfer can happen
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I get transfer on my Adelaide Grey interior, had the same with the silverstone in my previous car. Warm warm microfiber cloth every week or two. Quick wipe down and it's back to factory new.

Durability wise it's not fragile or sensitive. I daily my cars and had zero wear on the bolsters. Just pay attention to how you get in and out of the car.
Appreciate 1
Brian-f42.00
      10-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
BavarianPrince
(LTG)
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M

Garage List
I find that the merino is super oil sensitive. Darkness on the seat that's used most is most likely due to oil transfer. Would absolutely "darken/stain" just from your natural oils. I've used a product called Leather CPR, even brand new it helped to soften and protect. Give it a try, I scored it at Ace Hardware
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNWColoradoM View Post
I find that the merino is super oil sensitive. Darkness on the seat that's used most is most likely due to oil transfer. Would absolutely "darken/stain" just from your natural oils. I've used a product called Leather CPR, even brand new it helped to soften and protect. Give it a try, I scored it at Ace Hardware
Not sure Ace is in Switzerland. Hee hee 🤣

Sorry. Had to. Maybe that product is tho.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:48 PM   #7
BavarianPrince
(LTG)
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Quote:

Sorry man. Got google?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 06:11 AM   #8
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry man. Got google?
It was a joke.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #9
BavarianPrince
(LTG)
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry man. Got google?
It was a joke.
No I got it. Lmao. Seriously just trying to help. I've noticed same thing with my Sakir merino darkening, and only after 6 months and 5,000 miles. I applied this stuff with sponge on all the merino in front...it soaks in and itself will darken leather slightly until it dries in.... it seems to have "broken down" the oils and seats all look balanced. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 04:47 PM   #10
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

My experience with BMW merino, sahkir in my F80 and now tartufo in my F97: be careful getting in/out and keep it clean, that's it. There's no need for extra conditioners or treatments or other products on the leather, most of them do nothing and some will even harm the leather. Merino is a high quality leather that will take care of itself if you let it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:11 AM   #11
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Hi Everyone,

thanks very much for all your replies. My attempt with BMW Leather Care Set did not worked. I gave my car to my dealer to clean the seats, they have made 2 attemps without success. I looked for Leather CPR but it is not available in Switzerland, maybe in France via Amazon, however my dealer has opened a "case/claim" (if you call it like that) and is waiting a reply from BMW.

I remain with an ? when you all states to be carefull to get in/out! how should I step in my car? from the boot? . I m mean, i m not oversized (with no offence to anyone), I wear usually the same clothes as I used with the previous cars, so i m just very curious the reason of this unespected dye transfer.

And when you clean it, how much quantity of the cleaner product do you use. Do you use on bottle for each cleaning?

Enjoy your day and take care
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #12
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

This product worked great for me with a boarshair brush. (I have tartufo as well)
I only used the cleaner, didn't even try the conditoner just yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...3971404&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073YD6BJD...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANK_CH View Post
Hi Everyone,

thanks very much for all your replies. My attempt with BMW Leather Care Set did not worked. I gave my car to my dealer to clean the seats, they have made 2 attemps without success. I looked for Leather CPR but it is not available in Switzerland, maybe in France via Amazon, however my dealer has opened a "case/claim" (if you call it like that) and is waiting a reply from BMW.

I remain with an ? when you all states to be carefull to get in/out! how should I step in my car? from the boot? . I m mean, i m not oversized (with no offence to anyone), I wear usually the same clothes as I used with the previous cars, so i m just very curious the reason of this unespected dye transfer.

And when you clean it, how much quantity of the cleaner product do you use. Do you use on bottle for each cleaning?

Enjoy your day and take care
I have to believe transfer that severe built up over time? I mean, I don't want to be rude, but it would take several months of not cleaning for the seat to get that bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #14
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I have to believe transfer that severe built up over time? I mean, I don't want to be rude, but it would take several months of not cleaning for the seat to get that bad.
This.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #15
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Well just ine one year
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:17 PM   #16
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Today's update: I received a call from BMW, I wasn't at the office so I did not talk with them, but they let me a nice message. They will change both front seats (only the leather) and the arm rests for free under warranty! This is an amazing news, and i m very happy to feel that they really care of their customers. well done
Appreciate 3
pluckydks621.50
Wills28656.00
      10-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #17
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Today's update: I received a call from BMW, I wasn't at the office so I did not talk with them, but they let me a nice message. They will change both front seats (only the leather) and the arm rests for free under warranty! This is an amazing news, and i m very happy to feel that they really care of their customers. well done
unrelated question. how much do you pay for the car insurance for your X4M?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #18
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Tartufo Merino in my mother's X5. Definitely some dye transfer, but after 3-4 months it comes off with Lexol cleaner and a leather brush.

Merino is extremely high quality, but also requires more upkeep than Vernasca or Dakota ever did.

For whatever reason, most high end goods generate more stress. They require more upkeep than cheaper alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #19
James Cole
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Tartufo Merino in my mother's X5. Definitely some dye transfer, but after 3-4 months it comes off with Lexol cleaner and a leather brush.

Merino is extremely high quality, but also requires more upkeep than Vernasca or Dakota ever did.

For whatever reason, most high end goods generate more stress. They require more upkeep than cheaper alternatives.
Same can be said about Women.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9702.50
      11-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #20
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Great news, as you're in Switzerland, get a leather care kit from these guys.

https://swissvax.ch/en

https://swissvax.ch/en/collections

Top quality stuff.