BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #595
RHILE_MAB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CURRENT: 20 F97, 24 iX50 & M60

Quick update on the MSS fix.

I made the mistake of calling Ian Barfoot (evidently their 'chassis engineer') at MSS directly, instead of using email and keeping it in writing. They told me to go through IND to receive compensation for the extra shop time involved in getting the proper, fixed, version of the springs installed.

They've reneged on the reimbursement issue with a "We don't remember saying that" stance.

IND tried their best, but ultimately if you're having the 'clunk/slam' issue with your MSS, be prepared to pay to fix their mistake.

The shop time is on you.

I'm still very happy with the product, so make sure if you're planning to buy the kit that it contains the longer front springs. Who knows what's sitting on shelves somewhere.

Good luck!

PAST: 2016 F85 X5M "Beast"

Previous Forum ID: M3_e36CA
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:27 PM   #596
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

In their defense, it's not really the standard to pay for installation of the replacement part. The fact that they are offering the replacement part for free is unusual in and of itself and
is something that 95% of companies would not do.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #597
calbear550
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X4MC (retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
In their defense, it's not really the standard to pay for installation of the replacement part. The fact that they are offering the replacement part for free is unusual in and of itself and
is something that 95% of companies would not do.
How does that make any sense. If you sell a subpar, possibly a mistake in QA, with springs that might actually not be within the spring rate, you should not only replace them, but pay for the re-install price. If I got some faulty tiles, hardwood floor, paint from a manufacturer, had it installed. It failed. You think they should only pay for the materials only? Demo, materials, and re-install or I would either sue them for that all of that.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #598
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear550 View Post
How does that make any sense. If you sell a subpar, possibly a mistake in QA, with springs that might actually not be within the spring rate, you should not only replace them, but pay for the re-install price. If I got some faulty tiles, hardwood floor, paint from a manufacturer, had it installed. It failed. You think they should only pay for the materials only? Demo, materials, and re-install or I would either sue them for that all of that.
I can't think of one example in the automotive world where they would pay for installation of the replacement part, on a public scale. Most don't even acknowledge a problem in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 01:54 AM   #599
calbear550
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X4MC (retired)

Quote:
I can't think of one example in the automotive world where they would pay for installation of the replacement part, on a public scale. Most don't even acknowledge a problem in the first place.
Isnt' that what dealers do on behalf of manufacturers for recalls or warranty service. Something is subpar, broken, or recalled. The manufacturer doesn't just send you the part and tell you to go get it done on your dime. The dealers charges the manufacturer for the labor, right. Automotive or not, they had a responsibility to stand behind their product, included the costs of fixing their problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #600
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Isnt' that what dealers do on behalf of manufacturers for recalls or warranty service. Something is subpar, broken, or recalled. The manufacturer doesn't just send you the part and tell you to go get it done on your dime. The dealers charges the manufacturer for the labor, right. Automotive or not, they had a responsibility to stand behind their product, included the costs of fixing their problem.
It is all depending on the shop and the manufacturer.
There is no written rule that, shop or manufacturer must cover the labor as part of warranty.
It is all down to a good will.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #601
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Warranty service is a whole other ballgame. We're talking aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #602
RHILE_MAB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CURRENT: 20 F97, 24 iX50 & M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It is all depending on the shop and the manufacturer.
There is no written rule that, shop or manufacturer must cover the labor as part of warranty.
It is all down to a good will.
I'm not pushing the issue because, frankly, while it was surprisingly nice that it was offered after digging in to the issue with them on more than one occasion, I never asked for any compensation.

I think the good will point is perfectly valid. No aftermarket part has ever been covered with installer (out of their realm) cost expectations that I'm aware of. If the product is faulty, it's returned, then costs may be recouped; but that wasn't the case here. The fact that it was offered impressed me, yet having it "forgotten" seemed slightly shady and soured the fix.

Like I said, I still love the product and updated the thread solely for information purposes - and to have members be aware to search for the updated units in case they plan on purchasing from MSS.

Again, good luck and enjoy!

PAST: 2016 F85 X5M "Beast"

Previous Forum ID: M3_e36CA
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12966.00
      11-07-2020, 05:31 AM   #603
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Hi guys. I notice when driving a few creaks in the suspension it's quiet but appears to be at rear. Noticeable when no music and large speed bumps etc or large gradient changes. Could it be springs or shocks perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 08:12 AM   #604
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Hi guys. I notice when driving a few creaks in the suspension it's quiet but appears to be at rear. Noticeable when no music and large speed bumps etc or large gradient changes. Could it be springs or shocks perhaps?
Hmm, I don't hear any.
I mainly hear interior panel creaking before anything.

Is it loud?
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00
      11-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #605
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, I don't hear any.

Is it loud?
Good shout I never though it could be that and flex could be causing some panel movement it's not loud really at all . Day to day I barley notice. Perhaps I will open all the windows to determine if it is outside.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12966.00
      11-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #606
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, I don't hear any.

Is it loud?
Good shout I never though it could be that and flex could be causing some panel movement it's not loud really at all . Day to day I barley notice. Perhaps I will open all the windows to determine if it is outside.
Yea, all these plastic parts starts to creak after 6 months.
So far haven't gets worst.
Maybe after another year baked under the sun.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #607
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, I don't hear any.

Is it loud?
Yea, all these plastic parts starts to creak after 6 months.
So far haven't gets worst.
Maybe after another year baked under the sun.
I also have kid seats one on a base and one booster I keep forgetting what a rattle and squeak chaos they are

Edit was confirmed to be car seat base oops
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12966.00
      11-12-2020, 03:32 AM   #608
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M

Replacement springs fitted - very happy with the outcome. I'm sure the car feels even better with the replacement springs. No complaints at all about the ride, and my installer and I both considered that the steering was a bit more direct.

Based off how MSS have conducted themselves here, I would have no problem recommending their products to anyone in the future.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #609
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Where did you get yours done Matt?

Could you share your front and rear thread gap?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #610
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
Where did you get yours done Matt?

Could you share your front and rear thread gap?
Bromspec at Brookvale (took most of a day again). Front - 5mm, Rear - 24 mm.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #611
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9999 View Post
Bromspec at Brookvale (took most of a day again). Front - 5mm, Rear - 24 mm.
Waiting for mine to arrive any day now.

I'll be going with 5/20, perhaps bump the rear a little more like you have.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #612
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 x30i Dinan Sport gone

Can anyone post pictures of the new revised springs in the front ?

I feel like mine has settled and some larger bumps up front are a little painful. I thought it was fine the first few weeks as I recall.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12966.00
      11-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #613
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
Can anyone post pictures of the new revised springs in the front ?

I feel like mine has settled and some larger bumps up front are a little painful. I thought it was fine the first few weeks as I recall.
I got your email.
I'll send the replacement on Monday.
Appreciate 1
JaeP63.00
      12-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #614
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 x30i Dinan Sport gone

Quote:
I got your email.
I'll send the replacement on Monday.
Ben thank you for sending me the replacement springs even though my shop bought it from somewhere else !

I had them changed this week and can immediately notice it. The larger bumps have no noise and even speedbumps have zero noise, no squishy rubber sounds either.

I will be driving it more and see if there is anything else I can add. You can see the difference easily on the unmounted springs and even more so when mounted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12966.00
      12-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #615
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
Ben thank you for sending me the replacement springs even though my shop bought it from somewhere else !

I had them changed this week and can immediately notice it. The larger bumps have no noise and even speedbumps have zero noise, no squishy rubber sounds either.

I will be driving it more and see if there is anything else I can add. You can see the difference easily on the unmounted springs and even more so when mounted.
Glad I can help.
Appreciate 1
JaeP63.00
      12-19-2020, 08:00 AM   #616
EpicSurge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

So I'm part of the July MSS front spring recall, I asked my supplier to start a conversation with MSS and they agreed to send me the revised front springs.

Note, take it to a competent shop. I took my car to a enthusiast shop that was close to where I live, because it takes literally a day to finish i didn't want to rent a car or uber. First time they didn't switch the bump stops and they lowered it too much (their way of measuring isn't what I read of in this forum. My rear driver side creaks going over un even roads. They also messed up my rake, my friend who was driving behind me asked if I was carrying a heavy load, because my rear looks lower than the front. So after settling my front is higher than my rear by a little under 1/2". Could it be the springs were not installed correctly? as noted above the front springs install on back and vice versa.

Note: anyone in the tristate area can recommend me a competent shop?
Appreciate 0