BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #23
calbear550
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X4MC (retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo535 View Post
+1 to that.

Every time I drive mine wether it be mechanical or trim it seems to have a new creak, thud or some other noise, by the time my 4 year deal is up it will just be a bag of bits in a bag.

Not impressed with build quality for what is supposed to be a flagship M car.
Yup. That’s why I traded mine in after 1 year. The tight suspension/chassis loosens things over time. And the Los Angeles roads didn’t help. It was pretty quiet and muted when I first got it, now it was loud, rattles over every sharp bump/dip, mysterious popping and creaking. Couldn’t imagine what it would’ve been end of lease 2 years from now. Too much plastic, not enough insulation. Wind noise from the windows is also ridiculous at highway speeds. Coming from a 650i GC this car is night and day in terms of fit and quality. But obviously that’s not the market. Thus the move for me. I like a car that’s capable of both personas. Comfort and performance. And thus far, the non competition M5 I got into seems to fit the bill.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12966.00
      10-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #24
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Indeed Steve, I don't want to upset our American hosts but I've had 13 BMWs and this is the first built outside Germany and they appear to be throwing them together at Spartanburg, they clearly have issues at that plant that need addressing.

I'm going to chop the X3M in for something new next year and one built in Germany by people who care.
We're not insulted.
I had a 2010 M3 Coupe (obviously built in Germany) and the build quality on it was nothing special. Hood (bonnet) and both front fenders (wings) were misaligned. And no, it didn't have any body work done prior to delivery. I checked.
The way everything is mass produced today, I guarantee give me 2 days with any vehicle (doesn't matter what the cost is), and I can find things wrong with it. Inside and out. They may be minor, but I will find it. It's just the way things are done.

Last edited by BobsM3Coupe; 10-31-2020 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:52 PM   #25
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Interesting read about QC coming from Spartanburg. I've had 4 from German plants (a Z, a 235, a 328 and my wife's X1). The 235 and (current) X1 were/are "creakers" but few if any mechanical or software issues.

The 3 x3's and now my X3MC - perfect. No tech issues beyond the two software recalls (no biggie) and not a single mechanical issue with any of them. I suppose I'm the outlier...
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 06:33 AM   #26
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Indeed Steve, I don't want to upset our American hosts but I've had 13 BMWs and this is the first built outside Germany and they appear to be throwing them together at Spartanburg, they clearly have issues at that plant that need addressing.

I'm going to chop the X3M in for something new next year and one built in Germany by people who care.
Good illustration of the variability in experiences, Wills2 as our experience has been quite different. We've owned 14 BMWs (three 3s, three 5s, one 7, three F-25 X3 35i, two G01 X3 M40i, and now our two F97 X3MC). It was actually one of our 530 models which had so many issues that prompted us to leave BMW for a while, where we strayed to Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus.

Needless to say we missed the BMW driving feel and came back for the X3 lines, and with the seven which have come from Spartanburg we have been extremely pleased (as our purchase history would suggest). When attending the full day M School I stayed two nights at the Marriott BMW recommends in Greenville, and other than the Hotel staff, I could've sworn I was in Germany. Breakfast each morning was populated mostly by those speaking German.

It is such an important production facility for BMW globally, producing what is now arguably their most popular lines (based on sales numbers), it's difficult for me to believe that BMW would somehow decide to allow a different QC matrix just for this facility. Again, not sticking up for the American worker here just for the sake of doing so, but 'throwing them together' does seem a bit harsh for commentary.
Appreciate 4
forza19763398.00
AlexFL7836.00
ando2000.50
BMWZ41909.50
      11-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #27
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Good illustration of the variability in experiences, Wills2 as our experience has been quite different. We've owned 14 BMWs (three 3s, three 5s, one 7, three F-25 X3 35i, two G01 X3 M40i, and now our two F97 X3MC). It was actually one of our 530 models which had so many issues that prompted us to leave BMW for a while, where we strayed to Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus.

Needless to say we missed the BMW driving feel and came back for the X3 lines, and with the seven which have come from Spartanburg we have been extremely pleased (as our purchase history would suggest). When attending the full day M School I stayed two nights at the Marriott BMW recommends in Greenville, and other than the Hotel staff, I could've sworn I was in Germany. Breakfast each morning was populated mostly by those speaking German.

It is such an important production facility for BMW globally, producing what is now arguably their most popular lines (based on sales numbers), it's difficult for me to believe that BMW would somehow decide to allow a different QC matrix just for this facility. Again, not sticking up for the American worker here just for the sake of doing so, but 'throwing them together' does seem a bit harsh for commentary.
It's not the "worker" per se but perhaps the processes/equipment/training/QC all that are more within the scope of the management IMHO.

All cars can have niggles/failures but the issues we see time and time again regarding the X3/4M smack of poor quality, peeling paint as an example on new cars... that's British Leyland standards of workmanship from the 70/80's and is unacceptable on a modern car.

The recalls/stop sales (multiple) on launch again suggests all is not well in terms of the way that plant is being run, the fact that my car passed QC with frayed stitching to the dash roll top (do they not have eyes?) is another example of poor workmanship and a rushed QC process. (probably down to not having enough staff/hours to do the right job) Failed TPMS sensors (several) Oil sensor issues after the RIS service the list goes on....

We can only speak as we find, but I've had more issues with this car in 6 months than I had with the other 12 over 20 years and 500,000 miles.

Drives well though, once it's stuttered and crabbed its way off the drive...
      11-02-2020, 12:39 AM   #28
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

+1 Things go wrong on any car no matter what the brand and as you have found Wills2. I've had more issues with this than any other car. Prop shaft issue, damaged sensor rely behind rear wheel, poorly fitting rear door, damaged trim under the bonnet, damaged trim on inside of rear door window where door card has been forced on, poorly fitting sunroof, random error messages, random traffic collision warnings, noise from under the dash as if something has worked it's self loose.

Hence me looking to move the car on.

Not blaming the guys and girls at the plant cars are built at a price and on a time scale now and they just want them off the line and into the dealers which invariably means at some point quality drops where ever the cars are built and what ever the brand.

It is a shame as the car gets a lot of admiring looks.

On the plus side when it's work well it's a lovely drivers car.
Appreciate 0