BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-31-2017, 07:11 PM   #45
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmusic View Post
Here are test results of iPhone X charging times using various methods.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ipho...eeds-compared/
This article highlights an interesting fact about wireless fast chargers that operate at 7.5W.
Only the 2 Apple approved changers actually support the faster standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:15 PM   #46
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
This article highlights an interesting fact about wireless fast chargers that operate at 7.5W.
Yes. I’m also actually surprised that the 5W wireless is pretty much the same as the standard 5W wired cube you get with the iPhone. Not as good as the chargers they’ve been supplying with tablets and the newer stuff though. Still good enough to top things off and keep you charged while using CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:37 PM   #47
Larryatl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G01 m40i

Quote:
Sounds like after all enhanced bt is not standard?
I think it maybe one of the options that can be enabled via coding.
Enhanced bt used to also include Bluetooth streaming. Now it’s standard is what I meant. So the only thing you lose out on is what i said ... two phones connected at once, a second microphone and usb in center console.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:56 PM   #48
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryatl View Post
Enhanced bt used to also include Bluetooth streaming. Now it’s standard is what I meant. So the only thing you lose out on is what i said ... two phones connected at once, a second microphone and usb in center console.
Nope. Enhanced BT has what you mentioned above but also the Office function that lets you look at your calendar and read/respond to text messages and pictures with contacts. That part is important to me which is why I needed it coded after not optioning wireless charging. Had I known that it included Enhanced BT, I would have optioned for it for that, and wouldn't have cared for the wireless charging. It is what it is, and since I got what I wanted coded, I'm happy.

Bluetooth streaming was made standard and not part of Enhanced Bluetooth years ago.

The main reason I didn't opt for wireless charging is because it doesn't support the quick charge standard for my Android phones. Therefore, I use a quick charge adapted in the lighter socket and charge my phone wired. I thought about putting a quick charge wireless pad in there, but I haven't really seen one that would fit very well and also it would need to be plugged into the adapter since the USB port would not supply enough power for quick charge. So, if I need charging, I'm doing it wired for now.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 09:02 PM   #49
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks for clarifying these points.
Appreciate 1
azf10098.50
      12-31-2017, 09:07 PM   #50
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

I would have to code Enhanced BT as well.
Would have been just easier to order the option but I missed it somehow during the process.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #51
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
There's actually quite a bit of Apple-approved charges that support faster charging. The iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X all support the universal USB Power Delivery standard. As long as you have an Apple USB-C to lightning cable (only Apple makes those at the moment) and a USB-C charger with Power Delivery, your phone will charge as fast as possible.

I'm got a setup at home and one in my car. Once you go fast charging, you'll never look back!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #52
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
Quote:
There's actually quite a bit of Apple-approved charges that support faster charging. The iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X all support the universal USB Power Delivery standard. As long as you have an Apple USB-C to lightning cable (only Apple makes those at the moment) and a USB-C charger with Power Delivery, your phone will charge as fast as possible.

I'm got a setup at home and one in my car. Once you go fast charging, you'll never look back!
I was referring to fast wireless charging.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #53
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

In Canada, wireless charging is bundled with Extended Smartphone Connectivity and WiFi Hotspot, and costs C$350 or US $270.

I think this is a reasonable price, and I ordered it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #54
Delija
VIP
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Some people have reported problems with using two phones at the same time.

Has someone here tried that? How well it works?

Last edited by Delija; 01-01-2018 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #55
Yizu
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post

In mine F31 it works perfectly!!

I use 2 iPhones, office and private. Never want to do different anymore.
Appreciate 1
Delija40.50
      01-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #56
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
In Canada, wireless charging is bundled with Extended Smartphone Connectivity and WiFi Hotspot, and costs C$350 or US $270.

If I understand the WiFi Hotspot, you will need to continue the subscription with AT&T for service on that once the 3 month (?) initial subscription expires. Subscription also enables things like the weather and traffic updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #57
meanmusic
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

3 months or 3GB which ever comes first. You need to buy a plan to keep it active. US customers might be able to add it to their existing cellphone plan for a fee. In Canada the options aren't cheap for data only:

1GB/$15
4GB/$35
10GB/$70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Quote:

If I understand the WiFi Hotspot, you will need to continue the subscription with AT&T for service on that once the 3 month (?) initial subscription expires. Subscription also enables things like the weather and traffic updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #58
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post

I use it with a Note 8 and iPhone 7 without problems. Works pretty seamlessly.
Appreciate 1
Delija40.50
      01-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #59
meanmusic
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

Most US car makers offering unlimited data for $20/month. BMW isn't one of them.

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car.html

Quote:
3 months or 3GB which ever comes first. You need to buy a plan to keep it active. US customers might be able to add it to their existing cellphone plan for a fee. In Canada the options aren't cheap for data only:

1GB/$15
4GB/$35
10GB/$70

Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #60
Delija
VIP
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Yizu & JSY
Thanks!
      01-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #61
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

1GB/$15
4GB/$35
10GB/$70
Quote:
Why don't these systems tether to our phones? Why do we need a new contract/sim-card in the car?
      01-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #62
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBayernFTW View Post
Why don't these systems tether to our phones? Why do we need a new contract/sim-card in the car?
That might be possible. The car needs its own connection for other things besides the paid WiFi hotspot though, from what I understand there’s some minimal functionality that needs the data, that works regardless of signing up for a data plan. In this day it’s a given that the owner will have a phone to tether to, but not that the phone will always be in the car for the car to use for that data.

Things like ConnectedDrive, where you can get remote views of your car, wouldn’t work without having data in the car while you’re not there.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #63
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:
That might be possible. The car needs its own connection for other things besides the paid WiFi hotspot though, from what I understand there’s some minimal functionality that needs the data, that works regardless of signing up for a data plan. In this day it’s a given that the owner will have a phone to tether to, but not that the phone will always be in the car for the car to use for that data.

Things like ConnectedDrive, where you can get remote views of your car, wouldn’t work without having data in the car while you’re not there.
All good points, I just think that it would be nice if when I am in the car and have my phone with me, I can get the weather updates in my car...

If I understand correctly, no WiFi hotspot means this function is unavailable to me right?
      01-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #64
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Actually, I think the weather is one of those things the car can do without a cellular data plan, like the traffic data. I’d need to find a source for that but I believe older cars were capable of weather before this was a thing.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #65
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
All good points, I just think that it would be nice if when I am in the car and have my phone with me, I can get the weather updates in my car...

If I understand correctly, no WiFi hotspot means this function is unavailable to me right?
Are you talking about the Weather Channel weather info in the 2018 X3? Indeed the car uses it's own internal data connection for that. You do not need anything for that to work. Also, in previous X3s, weather was always available with the car using its own data connectivity.

The car uses its own data for a number of things. If you go to ConnectedDrive and look at things such as News, Wiki search, Google search, etc. - it all uses it's internal data and not your phone. When you do an online point of interest search, it uses Google via its data. Now, it's not as if the data use here is completely free as it is part of your ConnectedDrive services that eventually have to be renewed.

The only time it uses data from your phone is when you are using an app (like Spotify, Apple Music, etc.) that uses data on your phone - but that's not really the car using the data from your phone, but the car using the app (which then happens to use data on your phone). It doesn't use your phone data otherwise.

Years ago you were able to access the internet with the car tethering to your phone, but not anymore. They want you to use their data and would love to charge you for it.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2018, 11:31 PM   #66
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Thanks for that clarification. I don't get full connected drive functionality until I move back to the states.
JSY578.00