BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-03-2024, 06:58 PM   #1
Isawelvis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3, 2015 ML350,

wife wanted RX350

I currently own a 2021 X3 and recently (10 Nov) traded in my 2015 Mercedes ML350 for 2024 Lexus RX350

Cant say as a guy who prefers German cars Im impressed, but my wife had always heard how quiet the Lexus are.

Story. Bought 2024 on 10 Nov on 29 Nov had to take it to dealer due to intermittent computer screen. They kept it 9 days until 9 Dec ( Had to order part and told they did have surplus of screens etc. Did not fix problem, in fact probably worse

Took it back on 14 Dec and told it not be until 15 JAN that is would be fixed.Wife not happy and currently does not want a Lexus.

Other than that, my impressions:
GOOD:1. more HP, transmission great (four cylinder not impressive as far as sound but definitely more power)
2 Does ride better even with 21" tire.
3. Nicer inside
4. Looks great (finally made the guppy grille look smaller)

BAD
1. Too many functions tied into computer screen ( heat, to include seats, steering wheel, radio, defrost).
2. Worse gas mileage (ave 24-25) always filling it up
3. Funky doors ie they are electric not mechanical If you open the drivers door it does not unlock all doors. To do this you must open the rear drivers door and then all doors are unlocked. Having to learn to open it first if I have a passenger.

Currently seeing if Lexus will do a buy back. Not sure where this is going.

I hesitate about new X3/4s and Mercedes GLC due to the partial hybrid battery issue, maybe back to Volvo BRING BACK THE ANALOGUE gauges.
      01-04-2024, 08:40 PM   #2
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

What's the hybrid battery issue?

Lexus RX is going to be pretty solid and reliable but will have it's issues, we owned a 2015 for 7 years. I hated driving it. ergonomics for anyone taller than 6ft were absolutely awful. The seats were shit (that improved a lot in 2016 or 2017). Drivetrain felt like it was from 1980 compared with the 2014 X3 we had. Drivetrain has improved somewhat but it's nowhere near what you get from Europe.
They won't buy it back for a single issue, you'll need to have that same issue enough times to trigger the lemon law for them to buy it back.
Surprised you think the RX350 is nicer than your X3. There's some cheap bits floating around the RX350's cabin that I find quite annoying. On balance though, it's probably on par with, perhaps slightly nicer than an X3 but not by much.
      01-09-2024, 05:59 AM   #3
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Quote:
Funky doors ie they are electric not mechanical If you open the drivers door it does not unlock all doors.
Isn't there an option in menu? X3 has the same - open either only driver's door or all four.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 05:59 PM   #4
Blue550i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 SDrive30i

Sorry to hear about your experience. My wife wants a Lexus also. maybe I can change her mind with this info.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:16 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isawelvis View Post
I hesitate about new X3/4s and Mercedes GLC due to the partial hybrid battery issue, maybe back to Volvo BRING BACK THE ANALOGUE gauges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
What's the hybrid battery issue?
Lithium battery thermal runaway occurs in hybrids as well as full EVs.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...fe-216613.html

It's too late to avoid even a mild hybrid with Volvo. They are all so-equipped now with no purely gas engines any longer.

For this reason, I ordered a 2024 G01 to get through until safer LFP batteries go into production whether a full EV or any form of hybrid.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:27 AM   #6
sajadjadoonisbb
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isawelvis View Post
I currently own a 2021 X3 and recently (10 Nov) traded in my 2015 Mercedes ML350 for 2024 Lexus RX350

Cant say as a guy who prefers German cars Im impressed, but my wife had always heard how quiet the Lexus are.

Story. Bought 2024 on 10 Nov on 29 Nov had to take it to dealer due to intermittent computer screen. They kept it 9 days until 9 Dec ( Had to order part and told they did have surplus of screens etc. Did not fix problem, in fact probably worse

Took it back on 14 Dec and told it not be until 15 JAN that is would be fixed.Wife not happy and currently does not want a Lexus.

Other than that, my impressions:
GOOD:1. more HP, transmission great (four cylinder not impressive as far as sound but definitely more power)
2 Does ride better even with 21" tire.
3. Nicer inside
4. Looks great (finally made the guppy grille look smaller)

BAD
1. Too many functions tied into computer screen ( heat, to include seats, steering wheel, radio, defrost).
2. Worse gas mileage (ave 24-25) always filling it up
3. Funky doors ie they are electric not mechanical If you open the drivers door it does not unlock all doors when i rent a car dubai. To do this you must open the rear drivers door and then all doors are unlocked. Having to learn to open it first if I have a passenger.

Currently seeing if Lexus will do a buy back. Not sure where this is going.

I don't know whey the electric car industry is not yet grown up to the point that every client is satisfied from them.

Last edited by sajadjadoonisbb; 02-27-2024 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 12:49 PM   #7
Isawelvis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3, 2015 ML350,

Got the car back after 53 days in the shop.
supposedly the dealer had to go back to Japan to figure the problems out(even though( it is made in Canada) Have had the car a month now and things seem to be working. This experience has taken the Cherry off my wife's Lexus. This is not the only 2024 that has had this issue at the dealer.
During this time I filed a case with Lexus, They agreed to give me free of charge theeLexus top extended warranty, up to 100,000 miles and 8 years to keep me from continuing my lemon law action.