BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-12-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M8 COMP

Always the same with BMW M ( BRAKE Calippers )

On my X4MC almost new only 8.000 Km the first brake problems are coming as always .
The car is equipped with 4 piston calipers on the front . This calipers are undersized for the mass/ weight of the car .
My daily use is normal street , freeway and city . In the winter time during the weekend I drive in mountain places , the street is straights with big braking curves , like the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb .
From BMW they only replace them as warranty problem , but after 2000 Km/h the problem start again .
Under the brake pedal and on the steering wheel you feel the classic vibration.
Before ordering the car from the dealer I looked for to know which brake systems were installed on the car . I remember the dealer say, don't worry this is an SUV but it is an M model . Fake !!!
Al the competitor like Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio come with 6 piston calipers and the weight are less , X5M/X6M/M5 come with 6 calipers – Mercedes AMG GLS , same 6 pistons calipers
All my old cars ( except the X4M40I with 1 piston caliper sold after 1 years for brake problem and no solutions ) always with 400 HP and more were equipped with a real brake calipers especially the AMG .
So the only way to solve the problem , is to verify if I can fix the X5/X6/M5 front calipers .
Anyone of you can help me ?
I don't want to spend 4000 EUR for Brembo GT .
I drive in Italy and in Switzerland . In Italy you can drive fast we have only few laser and no police on the street , in Switzerland is like US , more dangerous .
Obvious , if you drive as the law so the car will be perfect , but no sense spend more money just for 4 rear tube .

Last edited by acce98; 05-12-2020 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by acce98 View Post
On my X4MC almost new only 8.000 Km the first brake problems are coming as always .
The car is equipped with 4 piston calipers on the front . This calipers are undersized for the mass/ weight of the car .
My daily use is normal street , freeway and city . In the winter time during the weekend I drive in mountain places , the street is straights with big braking curves , like the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb .
From BMW they only replace them as warranty problem , but after 2000 Km/h the problem start again .
Under the brake pedal and on the steering wheel you feel the classic vibration.
Before ordering the car from the dealer I looked for to know which brake systems were installed on the car . I remember the dealer say, don't worry this is an SUV but it is an M model . Fake !!!
Al the competitor like Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio come with 6 piston calipers and the weight are less , X5M/X6M/M5 come with 6 calipers – Mercedes AMG GLS , same 6 pistons calipers
All my old cars ( except the X4M40I with 1 piston caliper sold after 1 years for brake problem and no solutions ) always with 400 HP and more were equipped with a real brake calipers especially the AMG .
So the only way to solve the problem , is to verify if I can fix the X5/X6/M5 front calipers .
Anyone of you can help me ?
I don't want to spend 4000 EUR for Brembo GT .
I drive in Italy and in Switzerland . In Italy you can drive fast we have only few laser and no police on the street , in Switzerland is like US , more dangerous .
Obvious , if you drive as the law so the car will be perfect , but no sense spend more money just for 4 rear tube .
Wait, can you really buy Brembo GT for X3/4M? Can you send me the link?
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Wait, can you really buy Brembo GT for X3/4M? Can you send me the link?

Was only an Idea ... I don't know if is available yet or it might be available in the future , but I think it should be soon.

This caliper equip many other BMW , is not made only for X4/X3 M .

For my experience, in this case , the problem is only the caliper and not the rotors . Try to change the pads with some performance application , or a brake tube or fluid OIL don't make any sense , money for nothing .

https://www.brembo.com/it/Varie/Brem...ust%202019.pdf
They have many BMW application . The problem is not the calipers , but the mounting parts
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Was only an Idea ... I don't know if is available yet or it might be available in the future , but I think it should be soon.

This caliper equip many other BMW , is not made only for X4/X3 M .
Btw, where in Switzerland are you bro? I really miss Swiss!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I don't know if it is the calipers, rather I think the the tiny pads that are deceivingly small.

For the brake shudder, try bedding them. I have had success with eliminating brake shudder using this process. I usually do it 2 times. I do it for new brakes or when I get shudder:

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6443
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Btw, where in Switzerland are you bro? I really miss Swiss!

I'm originally from Italy the north parts but I leave in Ticino .. Better South Florida ...

Last edited by acce98; 05-12-2020 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm originally from Italy the north parts but I leave in Ticino .. Better South Florida ...
Nice! I especially love Locarno (used to live in Switzerland for eight years).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I don't know if it is the calipers, rather I think the the tiny pads that are deceivingly small.

For the brake shudder, try bedding them. I have had success with eliminating brake shudder using this process. I usually do it 2 times. I do it for new brakes or when I get shudder:

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6443

I will try , but with BMW you must buy Carbon or some other performance KIT. M3/M4 there are many people with this problem on stock Brake .
Depending where you leave .
The stock brake or suspension are OK for the 90% of the customers, but if you leave in a country were you can't drive more aggressive you don't need any upgrade.
MrItaly ( a member of this forum ) know very well how is Italy respect US . We are more lucky in this matter .
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Nice! I especially love Locarno (used to live in Switzerland for eight years).
Locarno is very nice place , but is for old person .
Most of CH resident from Ticino area during the weekend drive to Milan for nightlife .
Not now do the COVID-19 ,all the border are closed , there are open only for the border worker . I hope EU will solve this bad situation as soon as possible . Yesterday and today in TICINO 0 dead and 0 New COVID .... Lets hope
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      05-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
GrandMasterKhan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Evo9, '22 X3Mc, Turbo S2000
Location: BMW Southpoint, Durham NC. Dinan/Carbahn authorized Dealer.

brake vibration is caused due to too much heat.

I would imagine you are likely braking too gently.

When I drive in the mountains I left foot brake, which in turn means I brake harder and shorter. This is because we get so used to braking with our right foot we end up doing it gently because it becomes muscle memory to be smooth.

When we do mountain drives I have found that suggesting left foot braking has solved most all of my friends brake overheating concerns.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #11
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan View Post
brake vibration is caused due to too much heat.

I would imagine you are likely braking too gently.

When I drive in the mountains I left foot brake, which in turn means I brake harder and shorter. This is because we get so used to braking with our right foot we end up doing it gently because it becomes muscle memory to be smooth.

When we do mountain drives I have found that suggesting left foot braking has solved most all of my friends brake overheating concerns.
Yep , this is a good suggestion . 100% Right
In order to save my brakes I always try to brake gently and this cause the heat .
I'm not in a race track and not always alone in the car .Some time I must be more gently but the true is push the brake as strong as you can .

This is why I'm looking for a bigger caliper in order to find the right compromise .
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #12
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

acce98, I am with you on this one. X4MC brakes with 4 piston calipers in the front are a compromise, despite being good enough for 80% of the drivers. BMW has embarked on a cost cutting program and this is just another data point.

The brakes should not vibrate under most normal driving conditions. Did your local BMW dealer inspect the rotors? Rotors could be be warped. It happens and a new set of rotors is often the answer.

PS. Ticino brings back memories, especially dinner at Principe Leopoldo.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      05-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #13
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I will try , but with BMW you must buy Carbon or some other performance KIT. M3/M4 there are many people with this problem on stock Brake .
Depending where you leave .
The stock brake or suspension are OK for the 90% of the customers, but if you leave in a country were you can't drive more aggressive you don't need any upgrade.
MrItaly ( a member of this forum ) know very well how is Italy respect US . We are more lucky in this matter .
Let us know how it worked out. The procedure is very specific so print a copy so you can reference right before you do it.

Shudder is usually caused by uneven pad deposits on the rotor so it vibrates though the peddle.

I agree it is likely the pads are not meant for the driving you are doing where it is repeated application from high speeds.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #14
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
acce98, I am with you on this one. X4MC brakes with 4 piston calipers in the front are a compromise, despite being good enough for 80% of the drivers. BMW has embarked on a cost cutting program and this is just another data point.

The brakes should not vibrate under most normal driving conditions. Did your local BMW dealer inspect the rotors? Rotors could be be warped. It happens and a new set of rotors is often the answer.

PS. Ticino brings back memories, especially dinner at Principe Leopoldo.
I picked up the the car from the dealer few weeks ago for the recall . I told them about the problem , but in CH you can't test the car by driving . The only way is to ask them to use the ( comparator ? Is english ? ) see the photo . Send the request to BMW , wait the answare ........ so long . Next time with the service I will ask them to organize an ispection . Today with COVID-19 no many chance to drive easly and fast.

I understand that BMW need to save money , but ask me , dear customer we can propose you some performance brake or ceramic brake . THe problem is no option available .

Principe Leopoldo is a nice place ..

Like the X5MC / X6MC , no ceramics option brake availalbe when the competitors offer you the option. . Ridiculous
Nobody with an X5/X6 M will go of road ..

Last edited by acce98; 05-12-2020 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #15
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #16
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

I feel some of the comments in regards to performance in this thread are lacking merit. The primary benefit to a 6 piston layout over a 4 is larger pad surface and better resistance to brake fade. The X3M may not have a 6 piston front caliper setup but it manages to produce better 70 to 0 mph stopping times than both the Stelvio Quad and the Glc63. Both of which weight less and the X3M beats them by a full 10 feet. It has better stopping times then almost all other performance SUV.

So from an everyday performance stand point, how can we be getting better numbers yet have a setup that isn't right for this vehicle and not as good as the competition?

Last edited by strohw; 05-13-2020 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 5
AlexFL7836.00
knepsterd376.50
Wills28656.00
      05-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #17
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
I feel some of the comments in regards to performance in this thread are lacking merit. The primary benefit to a 6 piston layout over a 4 is larger pad surface and better resistance to brake fade. The X3M may not have a 6 piston front caliper setup but it manages to produce better 70 to 0 mph stopping times than both the Stelvio Quad and the Glc63. Both of which weight less and the X3M beats them by a full 10 feet. It has better stopping times then almost all other performance SUV.

So from an everyday performance stand point, how can we be getting better numbers yet have a setup that isn't right for this vehicle and not as good as the competition?
I think the question was more about fade and track use.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #18
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:

For daily drive no complaints ... when you push the speed pedal and you start driving a 510 HP you need something else instead of the stock calipers . This setup can be enough for the M40I ..can be .... The previous model the F26 was equipped with 1 piston calipers and after changing three time the brake rotors after 6 month I sold the car . So for most of the user the stock calipers are ok but for the rest is not sufficiently. This is my case . M3/M4/M2 with stock brakes have the same problem
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #19
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Quote:
Quote:

For daily drive no complaints ... when you push the speed pedal and you start driving a 510 HP you need something else instead of the stock calipers . This setup can be enough for the M40I ..can be .... The previous model the F26 was equipped with 1 piston calipers and after changing three time the brake rotors after 6 month I sold the car . So for most of the user the stock calipers are ok but for the rest is not sufficiently. This is my case . M3/M4/M2 with stock brakes have the same problem
For your market I agree. For the US where less than 2 percent of a buyer will track this suv, just silly. No where in America do we have a legal autobahn.

M3/m4 have ceramic brake option.

Alfa makes ceramic for their euro customer and based in Italy. No brainer. The uptake of Alfa in America is pitiful. I have the Stelvio Ti sport, fun four banger.

Mercedes AMG is always about flex and looks, so not surprised they offer this for the posers that buy their brand. And probably 20 buyers of the GLC 63 S in America will track it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #20
Scott1265
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M F85

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
M caliper decals

Anybody have any good experience with new m caliper decals holding up after new caliper painting?
Found custom blue m caliper paint from G2 caliper paint, but hesitant until I find good decals for my faded fronts- any help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #21
GrandMasterKhan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Evo9, '22 X3Mc, Turbo S2000
Location: BMW Southpoint, Durham NC. Dinan/Carbahn authorized Dealer.

I honestly dont feel the car is under braked. I suggest trying the change in braking style.

Dont worry about wearing out the pads too quickly. You will do more damage by being gentle when you shouldnt be.

Does your country offer the BMW maintenance plan? That will cover your brakes if you wear them out.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #22
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1265 View Post
Anybody have any good experience with new m caliper decals holding up after new caliper painting?
Found custom blue m caliper paint from G2 caliper paint, but hesitant until I find good decals for my faded fronts- any help appreciated
I tried G2 years ago and it is not a permanent solution despite all the prep and following the instructions.

I would get them powder coated instead. Look for a thread fro JTL (JLT?) who had his done in yellow. I believe he also had the stickers put on but don’t quote me.
Appreciate 0