BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

New convert: From 340i to X3 M40i

My 1st BMW was a 320; then I upgraded to a 340, and spent a lot of money upgrading it even further (wheels, tires, MPPSK, M Perf brakes). I even lowered the car recently… All money down the drain at this point. But it was fun while it lasted…but never again.

Why did I switch teams to the X side?

Well, I go on a lot of long road trips. I prefer the smaller state and county roads - so much more enjoyable. Most of these road trips feature some miles on dirt roads. There’s sometimes a fair amount of gear I’m hauling (my wife does not understand the concept of “packing”).

What grew tiresome with the 340:

1. Getting in and out. Lowering the car, of course, exacerbated this problem, but on a road trip when I’m stopping every mile to get out and take pictures, it’s really a pain. Especially at mountain altitudes.
2. Bad roads and potholes. Chicago roads aren’t great, and I just got tired of the constant terror of driving esp. at night. Hitting a pothole at 50 mph is like an explosion.
3. The constant temptation to go fast and be reckless. Obviously this was all in my head, but something I always struggled with. I felt like I wasn’t enjoying my car unless I was being reckless.
4. Cargo room on long road trips. The 340 had (barely) enough room, but it was always a game of Tetris to get everything to fit.
5. Visibility. Being low to the ground makes it harder to see the road. This is not a problem in normal daylight, but in bad rain/snow storms, and at night, it’s challenging. The higher up you sit, the better your viewing angle on the road.

On my last road trip (3500 miles, out to CO/WY/MT/ND) it occurred to me that I was driving the wrong type of car. I wished I had the money and garage to keep the 340 and get an X.

Went in for a test drive. I assumed I was going to be disappointed. As I drove the X3 M40i off the lot, in Sport mode, with a bit of throttle, I was really impressed. It has the same B58 as my 340 and basically has a slightly-toned-down version of the MPPSK built in (the 340 MPPSK exhaust was louder). But it was a familiar sound and feeling. And the M40i handled really well. I was expecting a boat.

I drove an X5 40i, and was also really impressed. The fully loaded models were out of my price range. With the huge gas tank, the X5 40i is arguably the best road trip car, but I wouldn’t have been happy with a stripped down example. Though the X3, if I’m being honest, is a better size for me.

They had an X3 M40i on the lot with every option I wanted except a couple minor ones (acoustic glass, ACC, hitch). I test drove that for about an hour, and made up my mind. Sticker was $63K, and the final sale price including rebates was $52K, so I think that’s a good deal.

What a great vehicle! I think BMW really nailed it with the X3 M40i. A perfect balance of sportiness, practicality, and luxury. Driving is just so much easier… I hadn’t realized how much effort it took navigating around bumps and potholes, and how much the constant pounding of a stiff suspension takes a toll on you. In giving up the 340, I don’t really feel like I’m sacrificing too much, and instead feel like I’m gaining quite a lot. Likely I will be a safer driver and pedestrians will no longer run for cover when I come down the road.

I have another road trip coming up this weekend and will have an opportunity to take some dirt roads in the forest that I would never drive in the 340. I’m keen to compare the fuel economy on the long trips with the 340 (which could be very efficient).

The Build
Phytonic Blue, Black Vernasca with contrast stitching
Driving Assistance Package
Premium Package
Executive Package
19” 698M wheels
HK audio
Rear privacy shades

Did not get M Adaptive Suspension. I liked the feel of the standard M Sports suspension, and did not want anything sportier. Likewise I’m happy with the 19” wheels. With the roads here, I’ll take all the sidewall rubber I can get.

Another happy convert here!
Appreciate 4
jphcbpa314.50
Rbrown2765.50
chicagofan0019135.50
      06-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Good write up!

I came from a modified 330d to M40i and agree with all you have said!

You will continue to love your new car!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I've had 2 x Z4 35iS a 330i E46 ... a 320d and 330d E90, an M240i convertible ... and a Z4M Roadster ... but am happiest in just a week with the huge dimensions to me of an X3 M40i ... heavy and not nimble ballet dancer but omg so comfy, raised position, full of presence and the lovely B58 under the hood
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Congrats and welcome to the G01 club! 👍🏻

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
animal.style
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i Black Sapphire

I currently have a 340i loaner. Been driving it for two days and it's a lot of fun. But I miss my m40i.
Appreciate 0