BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

2018 xDrive28i SAV OR 2020 x1?

I have hard time choosing as the X1 2020 new facelift is great but the depreciation of x1 drops a lot. The x3 new is obviously out of my budget range but the 2017 is about same cost of 2020 x1 coming out with more feature.

QUESTIONS

1). I came across two I'm looking into and wondering if this is good deal and how much should I offer the dealer? 7 to10% offer?

https://www.ebautobrokers.com/detail...9h0d97710.html

https://www.ebautobrokers.com/detail...7h0t09430.html

It's certified pre owned and I think its 100k miles or 6 years (whichever comes first).

2). Saw Carfax and both have damages and one not sure exactly the details (I think I have to get full Carfax to find out).

Doesn't dealers allow you to take the car to mechanic and get preinspected? Or should I hire someone to inspect this. I was assuming CPO does all this

I'm just kind of shockied the msrp stated around 52k when it was out. Just shows that depreciation for two years dropped this much! One reason gearing away from the new 2020 x1 .. (after driving off the lot it would have plummeted in value).
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

wrong forum
      06-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've had both the prior generation X3 and current generation X1.

If your options are as presented I'd get a new X1 but make sure it has the sport seats over wrecked X3s. The new X1 will have a full new car warranty and service. When I traded my X1 in I was surprised it held its value very well.

The used X3s you are looking at are very well optioned cars. You say both have damages reported on their Carfax reports. For that reason alone I'd hard pass on these. There's so many used X3s out there I'd keep your search open if you like that model. Go test drive a new X1 and a used prior generation X3 and see what works best for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post

If your options are as presented I'd get a new X1 but make sure it has the sport seats over wrecked X3s. The new X1 will have a full new car warranty and service. When I traded my X1 in I was surprised it held its value very well.

The used X3s you are looking at are very well optioned cars. You say both have damages reported on their Carfax reports. For that reason alone I'd hard pass on these. There's so many used X3s out there I'd keep your search open if you like that model. Go test drive a new X1 and a used prior generation X3 and see what works best for you.
So usually a damaged reported Carfax is deal breaker for most? is it due to frame getting misaligned and complications along the way? (just never gonna be the same mentality)

I read that the x1 value is one of the highest depreciation in car industry though
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #5
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

So you are saying the base x1 2020 being released in winter is better choice then the current configuration of the two links I provided? Obviously I will check it out and test drive etc.. Just wondering why the x3 was 51k .. that's compare to 35k when it comes out winter. 2 years difference but for me 2 years isn't quite a jump in terms of changes except mileage.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Quote:

So you are saying the base x1 2020 being released in winter is better choice then the current configuration of the two links I provided? Obviously I will check it out and test drive etc.. Just wondering why the x3 was 51k .. that's compare to 35k when it comes out winter. 2 years difference but for me 2 years isn't quite a jump in terms of changes except mileage.
I'd go with a new 2019 X1 or see what other used X3s are available. If you can wait the 2020 X1 would be nice too. I agree the original MSRP of the two used X3s you found are very well optioned 28i's.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'd go with a new 2019 X1 or see what other used X3s are available. If you can wait the 2020 X1 would be nice too. I agree the original MSRP of the two used X3s you found are very well optioned 28i's.
waiting for the 2020 is hard as I wanna drive now lol. I think its being released winter. The front grill is being facelifted and seems that's key sell point for me which is superficlial reason but whatever.

I saw a x3 nearby and it was 2017 and realize why it is a crossover as it seemed much smaller then I though (kind of like a x5 who was malnourished.

How much did the x3 usually cost when it was released 2017 the msrp of 52k seems quite high and doesn't lot more components equal higher maintenance cost in long run?
Appreciate 0