BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #23
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxa View Post
ASS discussions always seem to focus on fuel savings but it’s about emission avoidance. I spend a lot of time in the city and I’m very conscious that at any given time there are dozens of cars around me (stationary) for minutes at a time which today are OFF that before would be idling away with fumes all around.

Pedestrians, shops, residents, offices all benefit. My two cars do hundreds of ASS cycles a day with no annoyance to me, and if using it per manufacturer design makes it fail, it’s warranty.
but not everyone lease their car. I usually replace my car every 10 year in average. my last car serve me for 13.5 years.
continue stop/start put a lot of extra wear.
      04-17-2019, 06:49 AM   #24
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I guess if a driver sits at a light for a fair amount of time the ASS is not that big of a deal, but stop-and-go would be very annoying and also wear components faster.

I agree with just hitting both the start and ASS button simultaneously.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #25
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_cheng View Post
but not everyone lease their car. I usually replace my car every 10 year in average. my last car serve me for 13.5 years.
continue stop/start put a lot of extra wear.
Well, me too. My son is 11 and I expect he’ll probably learn to drive in this car. If anything the car will have worn less by using ASS.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #26
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobear View Post
I'm curious why you'd want to disable it?

Not only does it reduce your fuel consumption it also is almost unnoticeable when it kicks back in as you pull away. I've not had one situation where I wasn't able to put my foot down and go from a standstill and be hindered by the stop/start system.
I don't agree. It's very noticeable to me. Another problem is the air conditioning stops running on a hot day and you can feel the moisture build up. It kicks itself on eventually if it's warm enough, but neither of these things are something I want as part of my luxury car experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #27
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Again as a general reply, in addition to liking and considering ASS as an emissions and local pollution benefit, I’m not saying it must be used 100% of the time. The car won’t use it in sports mode or sports shift. Good. The HVAC moisture build up only happens in Eco mode as it delays a bit longer to kick back in for cooling. Makes sense.

Just like I occasionally turn of recirc, or the HUD, I sometimes might also disable ASS for a specific situation. But most of the time (on our BMW and Subaru) I completely ignore it. On both cars, my wife doesn’t even know where the buttons are.

Everyone has the right to disagree or may have very specific situations but I make these posts for the benefit of people who perhaps are considering whether it’s a bad thing as part of making a purchase decision or even, as some people are suggesting, bad for the car. It isn’t.
Appreciate 0