BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #727
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: it varies on my mood 😊

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
Added travel and comfort system.
Nice
 | Driving Assistance Pkg| Driving Assistance Plus Pkg | Executive Pkg | Premium Pkg | F & R Heated Seats
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot
 | Adaptive M Suspension
 | M Sport Diff | H K sound
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #728
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoetnani View Post
I just got my m40i last night. Drove 2 hours. Can't wait to learn mre about it.

That’s awesome!

Congrats

You will enjoy
 | Driving Assistance Pkg| Driving Assistance Plus Pkg | Executive Pkg | Premium Pkg | F & R Heated Seats
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #729
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

I fitted black grilles!

First of all, please excuse my dirty car. I'm car sharing with my wife at the moment, as hers was stolen and we're still waiting for her new one.

Anyway, back to the grilles; I'm not sure... what do you think? Maybe it's because the grilles are new, and clean, and are consequently standing out from the car a little. When I wash it, it all might look a bit more balanced.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
teaston10994.50
rem40i132.00
jrc42516.50
SROC31702.00
      02-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #730
mattchops
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's one piece of tint for the entire unit but I didn't inspect it that carefully. I'll take a look and report back
Let me know. I'd be interested in doing that on mine. I like it a lot.
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      02-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #731
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
I fitted black grilles!

First of all, please excuse my dirty car. I'm car sharing with my wife at the moment, as hers was stolen and we're still waiting for her new one.

Anyway, back to the grilles; I'm not sure... what do you think? Maybe it's because the grilles are new, and clean, and are consequently standing out from the car a little. When I wash it, it all might look a bit more balanced.
Looking good! Nothing awkward at all
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      02-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #732
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
I fitted black grilles!

Looks good! 👍🏻

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      02-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #733
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
I fitted black grilles!

Looks awesome!
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      02-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #734
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Installed wireless charging pad for smartphones

Installed a wireless charging pad into my X3 today. Ordered it 3 weeks ago on Aliexpress, if you use a couple of coupons you can get the price down to around $60 or so. ebay US or amazon have these as well, but at a much higher price:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DNHF...461045d0rvPQIr

It arrived well packed and as pictured in the ad. Little pamphlet inside was in Chinese, so you have to rely on the ad pics and any info you can get from newtis.info.

Installation is a fairly straightforward, the pics in the ad show you about 90% of what you need to know. The trim panel surround is held in place with clips and pops right up with a trim tool. Once loose there are three cables that must be unplugged before the panel can be totally removed: iDrive, Parking Brake, and Mode/Camera. There is just enough room to lift the panel 2-3 inches and unplug these. Everything else pretty much follows the pics shown, the only other thing that took a bit to figure out was how to unplug the wiring harness from the cupholder and hooking in the splice harness. By looking at the splice harness included with the charger you can see where the plugs clip & slide into place and go from there. Everything done on the install is 100% reversible without damage, so it's good to know in case it needs to be reinstalled later.

Once I put the charger assembly into place it was a little too loose in terms of fit, so I used some felt tape around the top and side edges to hold it snug. Once in place with the felt it sits nicely. It just sits in place and has 2 tabs on one side, I do wish there were someway for it to be screwed down firmly as it can move if you REALLY press on it, but this won't be an issue under normal use.

Once installed and everything put back together it works as promised. Obviously since I just installed it i can't really speak to how long it takes to charge a phone or it's reliability/longevity, but so far so good. As you can see in the pic, looks factory and has a rubber pad on the top to help stop the phone from sliding. With the phone resting on the pad the sliding door closes in the console with no issues. It does shows CE certification, but being from a Chinese source like Aliexpress sometimes quality can be a crapshoot, so only time will tell. Build quality of the charger and the harness looks to be very high and well done, so it looks promising.
Attached Images

Current: 18 X3 xDrive30i
Past: 03 530i Sport | 06 330ci ZHP | 14 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport | 11 328i M-Sport | 98 M Roadster

Last edited by fw_fw; 02-09-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 5
SROC31702.00
rem40i132.00
nogren327.00
      02-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #735
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
Installed a wireless charging pad into my X3 today. Ordered it 3 weeks ago on Aliexpress, if you use a couple of coupons you can get the price down to around $60 or so. ebay US or amazon have these as well, but at a much higher price:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DNHF...461045d0rvPQIr

It arrived well packed and as pictured in the ad. Little pamphlet inside was in Chinese, so you have to rely on the ad pics and any info you can get from newtis.info.

Installation is a fairly straightforward, the pics in the ad show you about 90% of what you need to know. The trim panel surround is held in place with clips and pops right up with a trim tool. Once loose there are three cables that must be unplugged before the panel can be totally removed: iDrive, Parking Brake, and Mode/Camera. There is just enough room to lift the panel 2-3 inches and unplug these. Everything else pretty much follows the pics shown, the only other thing that took a bit to figure out was how to unplug the wiring harness from the cupholder and hooking in the splice harness. By looking at the splice harness included with the charger you can see where the plugs clip & slide into place and go from there. Everything done on the install is 100% reversible without damage, so it's good to know in case it needs to be reinstalled later.

Once I put the charger assembly into place it was a little too loose in terms of fit, so I used some felt tape around the top and side edges to hold it snug. Once in place with the felt it sits nicely. It just sits in place and has 2 tabs on one side, I do wish there were someway for it to be screwed down firmly as it can move if you REALLY press on it, but this won't be an issue under normal use.

Once installed and everything put back together it works as promised. Obviously since I just installed it i can't really speak to how long it takes to charge a phone or it's reliability/longevity, but so far so good. As you can see in the pic, looks factory and has a rubber pad on the top to help stop the phone from sliding. With the phone resting on the pad the sliding door closes in the console with no issues. It does shows CE certification, but being from a Chinese source like Aliexpress sometimes quality can be a crapshoot, so only time will tell. Build quality of the charger and the harness looks to be very high and well done, so it looks promising.
OKAY. Darn it. I just got convinced of this. Getting one soon. THANKS for posting the install too. Does it charge well?? I don't care about "fast" but that it does charge properly.
      02-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #736
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Ordered......lol
      02-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #737
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
OKAY. Darn it. I just got convinced of this. Getting one soon. THANKS for posting the install too. Does it charge well?? I don't care about "fast" but that it does charge properly.
Sure thing, the 8 install pics are from the seller, only the first pic is of it in my car. Like I said, hadn't really had a chance to test the charge rate yet, but my iPhone Xr recognizes the charger immediately and seems to be charging up, while using wireless CarPlay.

Current: 18 X3 xDrive30i
Past: 03 530i Sport | 06 330ci ZHP | 14 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport | 11 328i M-Sport | 98 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 10:12 PM   #738
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
Sure thing, the 8 install pics are from the seller, only the first pic is of it in my car. Like I said, hadn't really had a chance to test the charge rate yet, but my iPhone Xr recognizes the charger immediately and seems to be charging up, while using wireless CarPlay.
I have an XR too...good to know
      02-09-2019, 10:13 PM   #739
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I fitted black grilles!

Get the Body color for your side mirrors
      02-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #740
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
just a wash today

raining for a couple weeks and we now have a break

couldn’t stand it anymore so dirty

Real loving this color
Attached Images

| Trailer Hitch
 | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 2
MechX3M40i1006.00
Lux700551.00
      02-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #741
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoMobilia View Post
just a wash today

raining for a couple weeks and we now have a break

couldn’t stand it anymore so dirty

Real loving this color
What’s that in your diffuser!?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #742
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
What’s that in your diffuser!?
A pain in the you know what to wash is what it is! :

I think it’s something you tie stuff to to pull around
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #743
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
A pain in the you know what to wash is what it is! :

I think it’s something you tie stuff to to pull around
Sorry I still don’t get what it is?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #744
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry I still don’t get what it is?

That how BMW does a trailer hitch here in the US

sad we don’t get the hideaway type
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #745
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I didn’t know that! So it stays like that all the time, there’s no cover that goes over it? How come US doesn’t get the retractable one?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #746
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I didn’t know that! So it stays like that all the time, there’s no cover that goes over it? How come US doesn’t get the retractable one?
Yes, that's it!
No clue why...we always get the short end of the stick!

Don't get me started! The list goes on and on. We miss out on plenary of stuff here ... 😞
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #747
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that's it!

Don't get me started! The list goes on and on. We miss out on plenary of stuff here ... 😞
At least you pay a lot less than us for cars, and you do get the proper engines these days, unlike the E36 M3 days!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #748
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that's it!

At least you pay a lot less than us for cars, and you do get the proper engines these days, unlike the E36 M3 days!
point well taken...
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0