BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
allst4rm3
Rep
Drives: 2017 X4 28i

Instrument Cluster & Tail Lights

Hey everyone! First time BMW buyer here.

I ordered my 2017 X4 28i m sport three weeks ago, hoping it arrives at the dealer in about 2 weeks. I've been searching like crazy for the answers to two questions with no luck and I can't wait 2 weeks to find out in person. Maybe some current or past owners can shed some light.

1) I opted for the tech, driver asst, and driver asst plus packages. Does anyone know if this will get me the instrument panel that's all black when the ignition is off?

2) Are the standard tail lights and brake lights LED? The LED Lighting Pkg only mentions the headlamps.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 01:10 AM   #2
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by allst4rm3 View Post
Hey everyone! First time BMW buyer here.

I ordered my 2017 X4 28i m sport three weeks ago, hoping it arrives at the dealer in about 2 weeks. I've been searching like crazy for the answers to two questions with no luck and I can't wait 2 weeks to find out in person. Maybe some current or past owners can shed some light.

1) I opted for the tech, driver asst, and driver asst plus packages. Does anyone know if this will get me the instrument panel that's all black when the ignition is off?

2) Are the standard tail lights and brake lights LED? The LED Lighting Pkg only mentions the headlamps.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the world of Bimmers.

To your questions:

1) No, I don't believe any of the X4 models have the 100% digital (screen) instrumentation. I believe your instrument panel will be a combination of the upper 75% being "mechanical" and the remainder fully digital. It's actually pretty cool looking.

LED package gives you LED headlights and LED front turn signals. The rear turn signals are not LED. I replaced my rear turn signal lamps with LED lamps and coded the "malfunction light" error message out. Works great and looks even better. I haven't been able to find a suitable LED bulb for the brake lights. Rear driving lights are of course LED tube lights.

Please take the above with a grain of salt as I am basing it on my X4 M40i. I'll try and post some photos of the instrumentation and a short video of the rear signal lights tomorrow.

I feel your pain waiting for your baby to arrive. Hanging out on these forums is the best remedy.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
allst4rm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Welcome to the world of Bimmers.

To your questions:

1) No, I don't believe any of the X4 models have the 100% digital (screen) instrumentation. I believe your instrument panel will be a combination of the upper 75% being "mechanical" and the remainder fully digital. It's actually pretty cool looking.

LED package gives you LED headlights and LED front turn signals. The rear turn signals are not LED. I replaced my rear turn signal lamps with LED lamps and coded the "malfunction light" error message out. Works great and looks even better. I haven't been able to find a suitable LED bulb for the brake lights. Rear driving lights are of course LED tube lights.

Please take the above with a grain of salt as I am basing it on my X4 M40i. I'll try and post some photos of the instrumentation and a short video of the rear signal lights tomorrow.

I feel your pain waiting for your baby to arrive. Hanging out on these forums is the best remedy.

Thank you for the info! That's awesome that you have the M40i, I'm hoping to make the jump in the future. My problem has been finding videos of the 28i for a true apples to apples comparison.

What made me question the instrument panel was a video I saw of a 2017 X3 35i. The screen shots from the start up in the video looked like this:
Name:  image1.PNG
Views: 489
Size:  330.7 KB

Name:  image2.PNG
Views: 568
Size:  1.10 MB

Name:  image3.PNG
Views: 561
Size:  983.6 KB

It looks like they have the tech and driver asst plus packages as well but since this is an X3 35i and not an X4 28i I wasn't sure if it's a good comparison.

It looks like the mph and rpm gauges are just back lit during the day and not a true digital LCD screen. Is this similar to your X4's instrument panel?

Side Note: I just called the order status hotine, production is scheduled to complete tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
DBU
Captain
Rep

Instrument Cluster

Yes - that is exactly the cluster I have ('17 X4 M40i). With your packages, I would expect the same cluster - just don't see how the Tech package could exist without that type cluster. If you have the VIN already, run it through one of the VIN decoders and see if there is something in there that talks about "extended information" in the cluster.

I believe the M40i version stop production next month. Speculation is that they will then produce a "full M" version of the X4 for My 2018.

Check out a thread here entitled "X4 - LED Light Package" and consider getting that done.

Let's see some photos of your baby when she arrives.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
allst4rm3
Rep

Quote:
Yes - that is exactly the cluster I have ('17 X4 M40i). With your packages, I would expect the same cluster - just don't see how the Tech package could exist without that type cluster. If you have the VIN already, run it through one of the VIN decoders and see if there is something in there that talks about "extended information" in the cluster.

I believe the M40i version stop production next month. Speculation is that they will then produce a "full M" version of the X4 for My 2018.

Check out a thread here entitled "X4 - LED Light Package" and consider getting that done.

Let's see some photos of your baby when she arrives.
Will do!!! It was just updated to 3/16 but it's ok, we have a real sh*t storm going on right now in the northeast so I'd rather bring her home in the sunshine.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
allst4rm3
Rep

My X4 has arrived!

Here she is after 4 weeks of waiting!

2017 X4 28i
Carbon Black
Black Nevada Leather
Fineline Anthracite Wood Trim
M Sport Pkg
Premium Pkg
Driver Asst Pkg
Driver Asst Plus Pkg
Tech Pkg
Heated Front Seats
HK Sound System

Name:  Front.JPG
Views: 448
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  DS Angle.JPG
Views: 470
Size:  103.4 KB

Name:  Rear.JPG
Views: 456
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  PS Angle.JPG
Views: 470
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  PS.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  Dash Off.JPG
Views: 455
Size:  68.4 KB
Dark when off like we talked about

Name:  Dash On.JPG
Views: 438
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  Interior.JPG
Views: 440
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  Mats Door Sill.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  78.0 KB
The rubber mats arrived just in time for me to dirty them up.

I'm loving the car with the exception of some minor issues:

-I'm too short for the head up display... when I raise the height to bring it into view its practically eye level and ends up being very distracting with the mph changing. If I was taller it could be adjusted lower to look down at but the clear line that it starts above is too high.

-The Active Blind Spot is missing everything. I tried putting on the blinker with the 3 blink thing and also just leaving it on as I blow past everyone and neither work (yes it's turned on lol). My CA called today to see how things are going and I mentioned it so they're going to check it out when I come in for the plates next week.

-I also wish there was a split screen for the rear camera and surround view at the same time but it appears you have to pick one or the other. The toggle isn't even seamless, you have to roll it over to the left scroll up and turn the rear view on and off. If you have to choose one or the other a one touch toggle would be easier.

But overall I still love it!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
DBU
Captain
Rep

-I'm too short for the head up display... when I raise the height to bring it into view its practically eye level and ends up being very distracting with the mph changing. If I was taller it could be adjusted lower to look down at but the clear line that it starts above is too high.

-The Active Blind Spot is missing everything. I tried putting on the blinker with the 3 blink thing and also just leaving it on as I blow past everyone and neither work (yes it's turned on lol). My CA called today to see how things are going and I mentioned it so they're going to check it out when I come in for the plates next week.

-I also wish there was a split screen for the rear camera and surround view at the same time but it appears you have to pick one or the other. The toggle isn't even seamless, you have to roll it over to the left scroll up and turn the rear view on and off. If you have to choose one or the other a one touch toggle would be easier.

UNQUOTE

- You can adjust the brightness of the HUD through iDrive. At night, the brightness is further adjusted with the knob that change the brightness of the instrument cluster. Maybe a brightness adjustment will make the HUD less distracting.
- The Active Blind Spot Detection system is (maybe) smarter than you think. It is not just a simple radar distance to the other vehicle, but a algorithm that calculates your relative speeds and distance. So, if you "blast by other cars" it is conceivable the system figures the other car is not a danger to you. And of course your car may have a fault.
- My car does have the split screen for rear view and surround view. There is a setting to activate PDC automatically, is that option checked?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #8
allst4rm3
Rep

Quote:

UNQUOTE

- You can adjust the brightness of the HUD through iDrive. At night, the brightness is further adjusted with the knob that change the brightness of the instrument cluster. Maybe a brightness adjustment will make the HUD less distracting.
- The Active Blind Spot Detection system is (maybe) smarter than you think. It is not just a simple radar distance to the other vehicle, but a algorithm that calculates your relative speeds and distance. So, if you "blast by other cars" it is conceivable the system figures the other car is not a danger to you. And of course your car may have a fault.
- My car does have the split screen for rear view and surround view. There is a setting to activate PDC automatically, is that option checked?
I adjusted the brightness on the head up display and I'm getting used to it. I guess it was just new for me having something there while driving.

I also think you're right about the blind spot monitor being smarter than I thought... when I stopped trying to make it work and just drove normal it seemed to go off when I actually needed it.

Below are the only two options I can come up with when reversing. What does yours look like when it's split with both views?
Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 421
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  image1(3).JPG
Views: 455
Size:  93.6 KB

Last edited by allst4rm3; 03-22-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
DBU
Captain
Rep

Sorry, you are right with respect to the rear view camera and PDC display - but no rear view + overview at the same time. Never missed it until you mentioned it - but now I want it...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #10
Duke I
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Great car, congrats! That'll keep you smiling for a long time.
2017 X4 M40i (gone); 2010 X5 (last of the NAs); 2007 550i (still missed, except in the snow); 1991 525i manual (great 17-year run)
Appreciate 0