BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #45
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Does anyone know why the new X3 and X4 have metallic silver side mirrors caps, regardless of the color SAV. It looks absolutely stupid! It should be the same color of the vehicle or my preference carbon fiber.
"Aerodynamically refined exterior with M appeal.

Aerodynamically optimized body elements combined with model-specific exterior design features add to the sporty and exclusive looks of the BMW M Performance. The Cerium Grey finish for the exterior mirror caps and front air intake trim inserts is just one example. A Sensatec covering for the instrument panel and door shoulders, sports seats, model badging for the door sill strips, instrument panel and instrument display, plus additional details such as the sport leather steering wheel, M pedals and M driver’s footrest, all help to inject the cabin with unmistakable M flair."

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466296
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #46
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Yes someone else mentioned that other manufacturers are doing the same trendy thing, to be quite honest I could care less what they do. I care about the brand that I like and what they're producing, the brand that use to set trends and not follow them. Bodied colored mirrors shouldn't have to be an option, silver caps should be, it makes no sense and looks cheap or worse yet a production mistake.

Another thing is how the heck do you take these caps off without breaking the mirror with their internal electronics.
dude you are really overthinking this.

The caps just pry off. Use a plastic trim removal piece. I've swapped out 3 pairs... it literally takes 30 seconds on each side.

This is really basic shit, we all know you don't like the caps. Nothing is going to change.

I'm not sure what trend your talking about here. Manufactures have all sort of styles, chrome, matte black, gloss black, random tones... its a fucking mirror cap.
2017 Alpina B6
22 Ram Trx / 22 M5 CS
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 01:55 AM   #47
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloK View Post
Quote:
Yes someone else mentioned that other manufacturers are doing the same trendy thing, to be quite honest I could care less what they do. I care about the brand that I like and what they're producing, the brand that use to set trends and not follow them. Bodied colored mirrors shouldn't have to be an option, silver caps should be, it makes no sense and looks cheap or worse yet a production mistake.

Another thing is how the heck do you take these caps off without breaking the mirror with their internal electronics.
dude you are really overthinking this.

The caps just pry off. Use a plastic trim removal piece. I've swapped out 3 pairs... it literally takes 30 seconds on each side.

This is really basic shit, we all know you don't like the caps. Nothing is going to change.

I'm not sure what trend your talking about here. Manufactures have all sort of styles, chrome, matte black, gloss black, random tones... its a fucking mirror cap.
Nope, I'm not overthinking bad design decisions. I'm calling the SAV Exterior Designers out, period!

What I post here is for the jackasses at BMW Group and jackasses here with bad taste to read, so to get shit right and so they stop fucking up the brand and cars I like!

Yup, I'm going to go and run right out and get a plastic trim removal peace, whatever that is. I prefer just to take baseball bat to it!!! I think that would work better.

O' and wile I'm on that tangent of removing unnecessary stupid shit. I would like to do the same with the ridiculous panoramic moonroof as well.

"I'm just standing up for my rights as a customer!" - Bill Foster
Attached Images

Last edited by DCG; 03-07-2018 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #48
stoweboarder720
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
Exactly! It may not be the most agreeable thing, but at least it's new and exciting, like a concept car should be. I personally think the 2002 hommage concept was their best looking fresh design in awhile. (https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/XWz...-hommage-5.jpg)

While I think it would be difficult or impossible to integrate this design language into the lineup, and in many ways that's a bad idea, at least it shows the design department is capable of some creative thinking rather than taking the 7 series and copy pasting the front fascia down the lineup or iterating on the basic template of the E90 LCI design. I miss the days when the 3, 5, and 7 were easily differentiable, now the 5 just looks like a mini 7 almost to a fault and the 3 seems to be following suit based on the spy shots.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #49
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrida335 View Post
These "turtleback" suv things are not for everyone. Bmw, Merc, Acura, Honda, Porsche etc are all making them. Personally I like BMW lines way more than any of the competitor vehicles. I think the rear versus the competition is much nicer. The front I feel needs a bit more aggressiveness but it's not far off. I like it, didn't think I would but I do. It's a hell of a lot better than the F97.
Sure beats the recent Acura RDX. BLEH!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #50
MattTheCarNut
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloK View Post
good eye, wonder what the hell happened lol
The photoshoppers were tired! LOL
      03-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #51
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

To be fair. Audi's Q"x" cars are truly boring, they all look like Q7's virgin daughters.
At least BMW is trying to make their X"x" aggressive looking.

I guess it's not easy to make a big beast look pretty.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #52
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Nope, I'm not overthinking bad design decisions. I'm calling the SAV Exterior Designers out, period!

What I post here is for the jackasses at BMW Group and jackasses here with bad taste to read, so to get shit right and so they stop fucking up the brand and cars I like!

Yup, I'm going to go and run right out and get a plastic trim removal peace, whatever that is. I prefer just to take baseball bat to it!!! I think that would work better.

O' and wile I'm on that tangent of removing unnecessary stupid shit. I would like to do the same with the ridiculous panoramic moonroof as well.

"I'm just standing up for my rights as a customer!" - Bill Foster
You are too funny! You have us all laughing! I'll give you 3 guesses at who..first 2 guesses don't count.

Last edited by Stephen5242; 03-22-2018 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:47 AM   #53
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

so much misdirected petty orchestrated rage at mirror caps and panoramic moon roofs......clearly something else is going on, not that we need to hear about that too.
Appreciate 0