BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-06-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
coagulase
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 AY MY17

X4 Display Key

I understand that the European/Asian X4 has an option to add a display Key as it is configured for their vehicle however it is not available in the US. Previously, a part number was introduced that would work with our cars, however that part number is no longer available and it is discontinued. My questions:
  • What are some of the third-party part vendors that I could get in touch for a possible replacement?
  • Are there any other new information pertaining the possibility of purchasing/programming the key that would works with X4/X3?

Thanks in advance.

P.s. I know the key is huge and "almost" useless and many people hate them
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I got one with mine. I's in a drawer where it will collect dust. It is bigger but not by a lot but no key ring hole is a deal breaker for me and the connected app on does everything the key does and more. I don't hate it but it just seems more of a novelty item than something that has a lot of value.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I got one with mine. I's in a drawer where it will collect dust. It is bigger but not by a lot but no key ring hole is a deal breaker for me and the connected app on does everything the key does and more. I don't hate it but it just seems more of a novelty item than something that has a lot of value.
Can you elaborate ? Where what how? I also want that key but don't know where to get It. The dealer said they don't code them.
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:09 AM   #4
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Intentions View Post
Can you elaborate ? Where what how? I also want that key but don't know where to get It. The dealer said they don't code them.
Of course they code them, they do it when people lose their keys and need a new one.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:18 AM   #5
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:

My display key is also in a drawer and was fine to look at for a day but having everything on the app renders the display key pointless.

Being bigger, having to charge almost like having a small second phone with you it seems daft, I only got it because it had been added to the original order options list.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It came standard with my X3M. I can tell you the you with certainty you will regret purchasing it out of pocket. I actually was excited about getting one with the vehicle until I got it and realized how useless it is. I can't think of a worse way to spend $300 really. Maybe a pet rock would be more of a waste but if it's a nice rock it may at least look nice on your desk so maybe a pet rock would be a better investment for $300 than this key. Again it's not that I hate it and more that it's just a worse version of the regular key.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*

Quote:
Quote:
It came standard with my X3M. I can tell you the you with certainty you will regret purchasing it out of pocket. I actually was excited about getting one with the vehicle until I got it and realized how useless it is. I can't think of a worse way to spend $300 really. Maybe a pet rock would be more of a waste but if it's a nice rock it may at least look nice on your desk so maybe a pet rock would be a better investment for $300 than this key. Again it's not that I hate it and more that it's just a worse version of the regular key.
That bad huh... key itself is 900$
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That bad huh... key itself is 900$
That's crazy for something most owners put away and don't use. It's not that it's bad and more it's neutered and not very useful at all on the X3. If remote parking worked on these cars then it would definitely be worth it but without it you have a bigger key with no key ring hole, needs to be recharged, and does less than 1/4 of what the Connected app does on your phone. Only reason I can think of anyone using it is if you are the type of person that wants to impress others by whipping out your fancy key at a gathering or on a date with a materialistic male/female.
Appreciate 0