BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
pedroso
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

2012 N55 X3 86k miles Filter housing/Cooling system components

After researching the forum it seems that no one made a post about this issue so here it is.

I took my car to the dealership for oil change, check due and curtesy inspection.
After that they came up with this issues that should be done soon.
- Reseal oil filter housing (found engine oil leak) $1,031.74
- Replace coolant hose from thermostat to cylinder head (coolant hose from thermostat to cylinder head oil soaked) $402.08
-Replace fatigued cooling system components (noted cooling system fatigued due to time/mileage) $3,800.00

Now my question, is this a real issue that needs to be done ASAP and is it better if I do it at the dealership; can I do any of this things by myself (I used to work on my A4 so have a little knowledge).

They said that the $3800 repair is not urgent but the other two should be done right away.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:38 PM   #2
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

The parts alone for the oil filter housing and the coolant flange that connects the hose from the block to the thermostat will run you about $40 in parts. If you have some experience working on your car, you can get both done with no issue. It's mostly patience is what it takes to get the oil filter housing gasket changed. Check the condition of the hose from the thermostat to the block, in most cases it is fine and it is the flange, which is made of plastic, that goes bad and leaks all the coolant. Replace it with an aluminum flange.

I would suggest you get them replaced when you can. When either go really bad, the car becomes undriveable.

If you have never replaced the water pump and thermostat on your car then I would suggest replacing those at your mileage. Those are pretty pricey though.

By the way these are pretty common issues on these engines so I am surprised you weren't able to find anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 12:05 AM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Do yourself a favor and find a reputable local independent BMW or Euro car mechanic- always cheaper and you'll get straight talk about what is needed.

What fatigued parts are they wanting to replace for $3800? That is a lot of money...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Probably replacing every hose, plus water pump and thermostat. Still crazy expensive. I doubt they would even replace the radiator.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Was it Kuni? When I got my M3 I brought it their for the oil change and asked them to go through it (I got a PPI, but just wanted to see what they would see). $4,200 for the "replace fatigued cooling system due to age/mileage." I mean, at 11 years and 65K on the car, I'm not saying some stuff might not need some love, but that number was just a bit too round to seem like anything other than just a high margin proposal from them.

That said the first item you listed is very common, and there are a lot of threads on it. Honestly, if I picked up a N55 with 80K on it, I'd do the following (if not already done):

Top of engine:
1) Valve cover. Just replace the whole thing. the PVC is built into it and since it's plastic it's prone to cracking anyways.
2) Oil filter housing, oil cooler gaskets. In addition to oil leaking being annoying, this drips down the front of the motor and can get on the serpentine belt, which could cause it to fail, which if you're unlucky could result in the crank pulling the belt in and then you're having a bad time. Also, look up priming the oil after you do this before starting the engine.
3) Spark plugs. You're going to have great access to do it when you're doing the valve cover.

Front of engine:
4) Water pump and t-stat. I'd do the hose that connects them, but then I'm not sure I'd replace anything else.
5) Serpentine belt. You're going to pull the radiator to do the water pump, and it makes it super easy to do the belt. Cheap insurance if you've had a leak on the front of the engine.

If you do it yourself, you might be $1,000 to $1,500 depending on how OE/OEM you go on the parts, but I think you'd be though most of the common failure points on this thing.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

2 front radiator to engine hoses makes sense here, but at the cars age/mileage hard to imagine much else, stat and WP maybe as PM makes sense, that is not cheap, ~ $1500.
Appreciate 0