BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
supernova1
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i

Gas pedal lag - solved!

I want to share my experience with solving my 2013 X3 28iX gas pedal lag. It bothered me that stock pedal response (when car is in Comfort mode) is significantly delayed when I want the car to accelerate from stop or slow speed. Sometimes it takes about a second before it reacts to the pedal press.

I looked online for solution, and it was suggested to replace the stock pedal with the latest version. I found that my car had P/N 35426860784 for the pedal. It is not the latest revision, though. The latest part available for my car is P/N 35426859999

I searched around and found the cheapest 35426859999 part at FCP Euro website. They sell OEM part - it is original with removed BMW logos. Price was significantly lower as a result. Installation was very easy - it takes just 1 bolt (with plastic cover) removal to detach the pedal module bottom, then top of the module needs to be pushed toward passenger side to fully detach it. I suggest getting P/N 35426796540 and 07129904588 for the bolt and its cover in case original parts are damaged and corroded). Electric connector needs tab press from both sides - pedal module has tunnel in its body to allow fingers to reach the inner tab. Tabs are very fragile - press on them very gently!

I did not have to do any other manipulations with the car electronics - just pedal replace and go. Result - delay lag is significantly reduced! In Comfort mode engine/transmission responds almost as fast as in the Sport mode, although with less power for obvious reasons. Now car accelerates very close to my expectations!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Curious, did you perform a driver adaption reset with the pedal prior to swapping it and that did not improve pedal response?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
supernova1
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Curious, did you perform a driver adaption reset with the pedal prior to swapping it and that did not improve pedal response?
Yes, I tried the usual adaptation procedure -ACC ON - pedal press for 1 min. It did not improve the stock pedal response.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
sounds like you simply had a faulty/dirty pedal contacts.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50
      02-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
Eaglesview
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 28d

We jhve a 2016 X1 which has had what I would term severe turbo lag. The procedure described totally resolved the issue. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Interesting. I'd have figured the pedal was dumb, and a software thing was watching its position and that'd be what needed to be looked into.

Maybe it's a wear thing, travel in a particular area over and over and over and over..... And simply replacing it worked. Maybe the position sensor itself could be found separately? Oh, we have BMWs, maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #7
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Interesting. I'd have figured the pedal was dumb, and a software thing was watching its position and that'd be what needed to be looked into.

Maybe it's a wear thing, travel in a particular area over and over and over and over..... And simply replacing it worked. Maybe the position sensor itself could be found separately? Oh, we have BMWs, maybe not.
It could be a wear issue, I had a throttle position sensor on a E36 M3 that developed a dead spot and had to be replaced. Any moving part can wear over time.

Software does play a role too, but unless you modify the software, the software does not change over time on its own.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #8
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
It could be a wear issue, I had a throttle position sensor on a E36 M3 that developed a dead spot and had to be replaced. Any moving part can wear over time.
Yep, I had a 93 Probe GT that had the exact same thing. It's what made me think about it, that our car has something similar with a similar wear issue just in a different spot.

As for the ECM they will make adaptations but right I wouldn't think quite like this. There's a chance a new pedal made it relearn but I'm thinking wear is more likely.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 07:03 PM   #9
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova1 View Post
Yes, I tried the usual adaptation procedure -ACC ON - pedal press for 1 min. It did not improve the stock pedal response.
I'll have to try this reset, anyways. Last car was a DSG so I thought I was just spoiled LOL
Appreciate 0