BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Anyone replaced their HPFP lately?

My 2011 X3 35i is showing early signs of the HPFP failing so I am ordering the parts to get it replaced. I have ordered the HPFP (Bosch), all the gaskets for the throttle body and intake manifold, and the fuel pressure sensor. And the adapter wire since mine is a 2011 (ECStuning says its required).

Am I forgetting anything? I also plan to have the shop do a walnut blast of the intake valves since the manifold will be off anyway. Anything else in that area in need of preventative maintenance that is not obvious?

thanks
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
arkow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2019 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
My 2011 X3 35i is showing early signs of the HPFP failing so I am ordering the parts to get it replaced. I have ordered the HPFP (Bosch), all the gaskets for the throttle body and intake manifold, and the fuel pressure sensor. And the adapter wire since mine is a 2011 (ECStuning says its required).

Am I forgetting anything? I also plan to have the shop do a walnut blast of the intake valves since the manifold will be off anyway. Anything else in that area in need of preventative maintenance that is not obvious?

thanks
what are the symptoms of HPFP failing?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post

thanks
what are the symptoms of HPFP failing?
Failing pump will cause motor to stutter, misfire or run tough- motor is not getting adequate fuel at specified pressure. Worst case, motor will no start.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 07:26 AM   #4
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

My 2016 X3d HPFP died 1800 miles from home in the middle of the desert as the sun was setting between Amarillo and Albuquerque. The HPFP failure gave NO warning signs. No noises, sputters,stumbles or stalls. First sign was that X3d wouldn't restart after stopping at NM welcome center. BMW roadside was great. I pushed the emergency button and they answered immediately. They sent a flatbed tow to get me, wife, dog & luggage back to Amarillo, put us up in hotels for 3 nights while HPFP was located and sent by air. Local dealer found a car for us to use for 2 days. I'm not sure that there is ever a way to know that the HPFP is about to fail.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
I am getting studder occasionally while accellerating and going uphill. Code scan gives a couple low fuel pressure codes. So rather than wait for complete failure I am going to replace it. However, some parts sites think the two different styles of hpfp for N55 engines are interchangeable, they are not. Early N55s (2011, some 2012) have the same hpfp as the N54, later N55s have a different pump and plumbing. I found this out the hard way, waiting on new parts...
Appreciate 0