BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-04-2021, 02:52 AM   #1
JoernJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Register battery

Hi all!
I had a new battery retrofitted in my X3 a weak ago. As it is incredible cold in Norway now, the old one packed in.

I got the battery replaced at a dealership (not BMW). After that I got tons of error messages appearing in my display. I contacted the dealership again to check if they registered it. They told me they had used BMW procedures. I didn't trust that, so I bought a OBD scanner tool. And as I thought the car was registered with its original battery. They had just physically replaced it.

So I went ahead and registered the battery via the scanner. Everything went ok, and it now says that the battery was replaced at 83.100 km. Haven't had any errors after that either.

However, the scanner doesn't allow me to change battery size or type. The new one is 80AH while the old one was 90AH. The scanner just gives me this message:
"To register the new battery size or the other battery type, now carry out the following...retrofit in Diagnostic tools:
•Battery

I don't have anything called diagnostic tools on my scanner.

So my question is how important it is to get the right size and type registered? Right now the car thinks it has 10AH more than it has, and also that it believes it is a BMW battery (I guess) and not a third party one.

BR
Joern, Norway
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I don't know the details of the algorithm for the system when charging the battery, but I assume the new battery will get overcharged since the computer thinks it has more capacity then it really does. I recommend setting the car to match the battery capacity. You can use e-sys to set the capacity.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Yeah, I'd go through the process of updating the Ah to match. The BMW vs. non-BMW doesn't matter; it's really just the Ah and type (AMG or not, but it sounds like that's the same so it's just the Ah that needs to be fixed). The car targets a charge percentage (80%-ish), so I don't think a couple weeks will matter while you get it sorted, but I also wouldn't go months on end.

My scan tool (foxwell) doesn't let you change the Ah either. Bimmercode does have that ability. Bimmercode doesn't do the registration, but you don't need that since you already have the scan tool to register. Bimmercode would be $30 for the app, and if you need to get a dongle to connect to the OBD, then you'd add that too. The nice thing on Bimmercode is you can use it for other light coding options, which is nice. And it's pretty intuitive to use.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 1
pokerface431.50
      02-04-2021, 11:58 PM   #4
JoernJ
Registered
Rep

Thanks guys! Much appreciated
I went ahead and ordered this from Ali Express. Looks like it comes with the e-sys software.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280...archweb201603_

Joern
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #5
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Why not go back to the dealership and have them install the correct battery? I could see going with one with a higher AH, but not lower.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Bimmercode and Bimmerlink apps should also be able to do this. From my research, you need Bimmercode to update the capacity of the new battery, and Bimmerlink to perform the registration (reset).
Appreciate 1
WagonR293.00
      02-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #7
JoernJ
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Why not go back to the dealership and have them install the correct battery? I could see going with one with a higher AH, but not lower.
I got into a hefty disagreement with them, so I'm never going back there. Unprofessional and arrogant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Bimmercode and Bimmerlink apps should also be able to do this. From my research, you need Bimmercode to update the capacity of the new battery, and Bimmerlink to perform the registration (reset).
Thanks for putting me in that direction! I see that I can use the Enet cable that I have in order. Only need an adapter for RJ45-->Lightning.

I see that Bimmercode offer in app purchase. What exactly does that mean? Are all functions locked until you pay?

BR
Joern
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 12:30 PM   #8
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoernJ View Post

Thanks for putting me in that direction! I see that I can use the Enet cable that I have in order. Only need an adapter for RJ45-->Lightning.

I see that Bimmercode offer in app purchase. What exactly does that mean? Are all functions locked until you pay?

BR
Joern
I use a RJ45 -> lightning adapter when using Bimmercode on my iPad. Works well, and is fast.

Once you pay the $30 for Bimmercode you have access to all of the coding functions, including changing Ah on the battery type.

Bimmercode also has a second app, Bimmerlink which has more service related functions (such as resetting the battery). There's a link to purchase Bimmerlink in the Bimmercode app, but that's the only thing I've seen for in app purchases after paying the initial $30 for Bimmercode.

Bimmercode doesn't lock you into a specific car either. I've used mine on 5 different cars without issue. Just that initial $30. It's nice, because you can do stuff like disabling warnings on idrive, or adding some functions if you car didn't have them from the factory (like sport gauges). I've definitely gotten my $30 out of it!
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #9
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I used the Carly app, worked well I think. I too had a slight mismatch but erred on the low side for coding (coded less than the actual battery, it wasn't much different). Figured this might allow some overhead? If nothing else it seemed to be the right direction for a mismatch.
Appreciate 0