BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #45
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commerce View Post
I haven't noticed any change in functionality but it's been a while since I last drove the vehicle.
Ok gotcha, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguysrule View Post
Yes. Its dark at night too but obviously you can see headlights. You cannot see in to my rear hatch or back passenger windows at all. Driver side and front passenger are darker than stock but you can see in.
Oh really? I didn't think it would go dimmed blue all the time since the front sensor would still be exposed to more light than the rear sensor during the day...interesting...the mirrors being blue/dimmed all the time is a bummer.

I like the fact that you can't see in at all...that's a large part of why I want them tinted (plus heat rejection)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielHazelrigg View Post
Would you mind posting a side shot with the 30%s? Are your rears tinted additionally just the stock window tint from BMW?

I want to tint my fronts but don't want to be too dark, max would be to match the back windows. Min would be 30 in the front. Would love to find a 25 ceramic for the front.
Yea, I can do that. I have 30% fronts only, nothing over the BMW privacy glass. Thinking about adding some over the privacy glass next week if I can get to the bottom of how dark affects the auto dim functionality. Sounds like I should be good on that front.

The 30% fronts are a little lighter than the rears, but not horribly so. Like you said, 25% would probably pin it right about even with the factory privacy glass. I did 30% because I think it's a good balance point between functionality and darkness...and it ended up being much closer to factory rear glass than I was expecting.

I tried to add some pics that I found. You can see sometimes, depending on angle and ambient light, it looks *almost* as dark. Other times its a bit more noticeable that it's lighter. Guess I don't have any of the car from the side in the sun...I'll get some this weekend when I drive it.
Attached Images

Last edited by GreatAvalon; 03-03-2021 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #46
DanielHazelrigg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
Quote:
I haven't noticed any change in functionality but it's been a while since I last drove the vehicle.
Ok gotcha, thanks!
Quote:
Yes. Its dark at night too but obviously you can see headlights. You cannot see in to my rear hatch or back passenger windows at all. Driver side and front passenger are darker than stock but you can see in.
Oh really? I didn't think it would go dimmed blue all the time since the front sensor would still be exposed to more light than the rear sensor during the day...interesting...the mirrors being blue/dimmed all the time is a bummer.

I like the fact that you can't see in at all...that's a large part of why I want them tinted (plus heat rejection)
Quote:
Would you mind posting a side shot with the 30%s? Are your rears tinted additionally just the stock window tint from BMW?

I want to tint my fronts but don't want to be too dark, max would be to match the back windows. Min would be 30 in the front. Would love to find a 25 ceramic for the front.
Yea, I can do that. I have 30% fronts only, nothing over the BMW privacy glass. Thinking about adding some over the privacy glass next week if I can get to the bottom of how dark affects the auto dim functionality. Sounds like I should be good on that front.

The 30% fronts are a little lighter than the rears, but not horribly so. Like you said, 25% would probably pin it right about even with the factory privacy glass. I did 30% because I think it's a good balance point between functionality and darkness...and it ended up being much closer to factory rear glass than I was expecting.

I tried to add some pics that I found. You can see sometimes, depending on angle and ambient light, it looks *almost* as dark. Other times its a bit more noticeable that it's lighter. Guess I don't have any of the car from the side in the sun...I'll get some this weekend when I drive it.
Thank you! Car looks great.

I wonder if you looked into or anyone else has seen the new SunTek CoolVu Transition Window Tint? They have a 35/20 transition film that seems pretty cool. I have a local independent dealer who installs and recently did an M2CS (and are doing a mineral white X5 now - I am going to see it shortly).

It essentially gives you down to 20% in the sun and 35% when it's dark. You get tint when you need it and visibility (at night) of a lighter tint. Seems cool and price point isn't terrible. Figured the 20% dark would match the back, 35% would be light enough to let you see plenty at night.

For Reference, I am Glacier Silver over Cognac 2021 X3M40i.
Appreciate 1
KL07RPH217.00
      03-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #47
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I wonder if you looked into or anyone else has seen the new SunTek CoolVu Transition Window Tint? They have a 35/20 transition film that seems pretty cool. I have a local independent dealer who installs and recently did an M2CS (and are doing a mineral white X5 now - I am going to see it shortly).

It essentially gives you down to 20% in the sun and 35% when it's dark. You get tint when you need it and visibility (at night) of a lighter tint. Seems cool and price point isn't terrible. Figured the 20% dark would match the back, 35% would be light enough to let you see plenty at night.

Thanks!

I haven't heard of that, but it sounds pretty interesting...best of both world.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:44 PM   #48
DanielHazelrigg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

I haven't heard of that, but it sounds pretty interesting...best of both world.
Here is an example of the CoolVu Transitional Window Film. It is a ceramic film, made by Suntek, and this one is a 35/20. This was just applied to someone else's car but the local installer had me come check it out. Inside, it's a 35 but if you take it into the sun, it changes pretty quickly to about 20%

Lifetime Warranty, privacy when you need it and it's still safe for night-time/dark weather driving. Pretty cool stuff.

FYI, they measured the stock rears at 18-20% so pretty consistent with what others have said.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
509er589.50
      03-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #49
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here is an example of the CoolVu Transitional Window Film. It is a ceramic film, made by Suntek, and this one is a 35/20. This was just applied to someone else's car but the local installer had me come check it out. Inside, it's a 35 but if you take it into the sun, it changes pretty quickly to about 20%

Lifetime Warranty, privacy when you need it and it's still safe for night-time/dark weather driving. Pretty cool stuff.

FYI, they measured the stock rears at 18-20% so pretty consistent with what others have said.
That's really interesting. It looks like normal tint in that pic...I wonder how that works...similar to like a transition lens I'd think? Is that what you're going to go with?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #50
DanielHazelrigg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's really interesting. It looks like normal tint in that pic...I wonder how that works...similar to like a transition lens I'd think? Is that what you're going to go with?
I believe so - here are a few others including the others. First is the same SUV with the CoolVu 35%/20% transition tint.

The M2CS outside has the same 35/20% tint on sides and rear, and 70%on the front but you can see how it reacts to UV/Sun. Side note - I almost bought this M2CS but it was a FREAKING AUTO....come on man (that car should have only been available as a manual IMO) but it's beautiful!

The third shot is the same 35/20% ceramic window tint and the dark spot is where the UV light was on the test glass to show the transition. This stuff is wild but really meets the need for darker when you want it and lighter when you don't!

Compare the front windows on the M2CS and the X5. That is the same exact tint inside vs. outside!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
dtox9340.50
KL07RPH217.00
      03-04-2021, 08:28 PM   #51
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I believe so - here are a few others including the others. First is the same SUV with the CoolVu 35%/20% transition tint.

The M2CS outside has the same 35/20% tint on sides and rear, and 70%on the front but you can see how it reacts to UV/Sun. Side note - I almost bought this M2CS but it was a FREAKING AUTO....come on man (that car should have only been available as a manual IMO) but it's beautiful!

The third shot is the same 35/20% ceramic window tint and the dark spot is where the UV light was on the test glass to show the transition. This stuff is wild but really meets the need for darker when you want it and lighter when you don't!

Compare the front windows on the M2CS and the X5. That is the same exact tint inside vs. outside!
That's so wild...incredible stuff! If you get it, report back how it is to own it and experience that transition in real life, such as exiting parking garages into the daylight.

I love the wheels on that car...makes me wonder how good that would look on my blue...
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 09:13 PM   #52
DanielHazelrigg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's so wild...incredible stuff! If you get it, report back how it is to own it and experience that transition in real life, such as exiting parking garages into the daylight.

I love the wheels on that car...makes me wonder how good that would look on my blue...
Will do - I'm scheduled a week from Monday!

Probably should pick up those wheels between now and then
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #53
DSM517
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 30i (loaded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh50193 View Post
I'm not sure either. I've had tints for like 8 years on all my cars and never got pulled over or ticketed for them. Luck maybe haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo2883 View Post
How are you getting away with 20% in NY? Would love to get dark tints but don't want to get pulled over.
I am thinking about tinting my X3. I am in NY also, I know they now test tints levels during inspections. How have you managed to pass inspection?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #54
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM517 View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure either. I've had tints for like 8 years on all my cars and never got pulled over or ticketed for them. Luck maybe haha
Quote:
How are you getting away with 20% in NY? Would love to get dark tints but don't want to get pulled over.
I am thinking about tinting my X3. I am in NY also, I know they now test tints levels during inspections. How have you managed to pass inspection?
They haven't done it legally I can tell you that. No shop can pass a car in nys that has tint. Comes down to how by the letter of the law the shop is. Dealership definitely won't pass you.
      03-06-2021, 02:37 PM   #55
DSM517
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They haven't done it legally I can tell you that. No shop can pass a car in nys that has tint. Comes down to how by the letter of the law the shop is. Dealership definitely won't pass you.
That's what I figured. I won't be tinting my windows, which sucks. I have no doubt there are shops that do this, but how are they getting away with it?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 06:23 AM   #56
g0t2bmiirii
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Ok gotcha, thanks!
Quote:

Quote:

Tinting your front windshield would help make it look a little darker. I did it at 50% and you can still see outside fine from inside the car. And with that note i decided to make it a little darker by adding another 50% on top of the 50%. I think it looks great. I doubt I'll get pulled over. I got my car in Feb 2020 and i still haven't gotten pulled over for tints. I've noticed in NYC, SUV's do not tend to get pulled over that often for tints, mainly 4-door sedans get pulled over. I guess they look at SUV's as more of a family car...
      03-07-2021, 06:45 AM   #57
KL07RPH
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Wow very cool!! Reminds me of the photochromic lenses I used to have, before I had LASIK. Any insight on the price premium over say F1 Pinnacle/ceramic tint?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 08:44 AM   #58
DanielHazelrigg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL07RPH View Post
Quote:

Wow very cool!! Reminds me of the photochromic lenses I used to have, before I had LASIK. Any insight on the price premium over say F1 Pinnacle/ceramic tint?
I will ask them how much for a standard high-end ceramic for the front windows but the price for this CoolVu 35/20 is 300 for the fronts only. More expensive but honestly not crazy IMO.
Appreciate 1
KL07RPH217.00
      03-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #59
DSM517
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0t2bmiirii View Post
Tinting your front windshield would help make it look a little darker. I did it at 50% and you can still see outside fine from inside the car. And with that note i decided to make it a little darker by adding another 50% on top of the 50%. I think it looks great. I doubt I'll get pulled over. I got my car in Feb 2020 and i still haven't gotten pulled over for tints. I've noticed in NYC, SUV's do not tend to get pulled over that often for tints, mainly 4-door sedans get pulled over. I guess they look at SUV's as more of a family car...
I see people in Westchester County with tints and not getting pulled over. It's the inspection I am worried about. All of the places near me are by the book.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 11:48 PM   #60
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I see people in Westchester County with tints and not getting pulled over. It's the inspection I am worried about. All of the places near me are by the book.
Exactly, VA state, auto-fail inspection for any film on the windshield below AS1 line without medical exemption. Annoying, cus I’d absolutely get at least airblue 80 on the windshield if that weren’t the case. A lot of heat comes in that thing right onto driver and passenger.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #61
DSM517
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Exactly, VA state, auto-fail inspection for any film on the windshield below AS1 line without medical exemption. Annoying, cus I’d absolutely get at least airblue 80 on the windshield if that weren’t the case. A lot of heat comes in that thing right onto driver and passenger.
It's not just the windshield in NY. It's all of the windows, including front driver and passenger doors, that tint is not allowed.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:02 AM   #62
g0t2bmiirii
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
It's not just the windshield in NY. It's all of the windows, including front driver and passenger doors, that tint is not allowed.
Rear tints are from factory for SUV's. But sedans are not suppose to have them
      03-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #63
DSM517
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0t2bmiirii View Post
Rear tints are from factory for SUV's. But sedans are not suppose to have them
I know rears are from the factory, but they run the meter on them anyway. I watched them do it when my wife's XC90 was inspected in January.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #64
joft6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01M40, F82COMP

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2021 BMW X3M40i  [10.00]
I got Ceramic Tints that matched my Front windows with my Factory rear window tints, which were 20%. These look great, blocks the sun out, it's a little brighter from the outside when the sunroof is open (makes it look less illegal to cops) and overall looks really good!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #65
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep

Just following up with this thread, this is what my windows look like. 30% fronts, 40% over rear factory privacy, and 50% over pano roof. All done with Ceramic tint. The sunshade was open in this pic with sun angle straight from the rear of the vehicle.

Name:  IMG_5285.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  604.8 KB
Appreciate 1
Elo2317.50
      03-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #66
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Just following up with this thread, this is what my windows look like. 30% fronts, 40% over rear factory privacy, and 50% over pano roof. All done with Ceramic tint. The sunshade was open in this pic with sun angle straight from the rear of the vehicle.

Attachment 2557578
Car looks great, but those fronts look darker than 30%, but always hard to tell from photos.

I've near 15% on fronts on my F25 X3, prior owner had car tinted. I'm about ready to remove, it's almost unsafe for night driving.

I'm thinking 30 fronts, 70 over rear privacy glass...

What did you pay for tint job?
Thanks/Bill
Appreciate 0