BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-19-2023, 10:14 PM   #23
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g11hoonigan View Post
Although there's not a lot of (decent) options to choose from, this comes down to your priorities / driving conditions/habits IMO. Dust, noise, price, coefficient of friction, etc. - which of these characteristics are you willing to forgo? Can't have them all unfortunately. The OEM pad IMO is well-rounded and tough to beat, it's just the dust that some owners don't like (me included). Same is true for rotors. Cross-drilled/slotted won't add anything besides being aesthetically pleasing - unless maybe if you spend a few thousands, which can still be 'best' for the money if you're tracking. That said, the answer largely depends on your use-case
Any experience with Akebono?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 07:41 AM   #24
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
Although there's not a lot of (decent) options to choose from, this comes down to your priorities / driving conditions/habits IMO. Dust, noise, price, coefficient of friction, etc. - which of these characteristics are you willing to forgo? Can't have them all unfortunately. The OEM pad IMO is well-rounded and tough to beat, it's just the dust that some owners don't like (me included). Same is true for rotors. Cross-drilled/slotted won't add anything besides being aesthetically pleasing - unless maybe if you spend a few thousands, which can still be 'best' for the money if you're tracking. That said, the answer largely depends on your use-case
So, you hit it right on the nail.

Yes, I'm looking for something that performs as well as OEM, but lasts longer and won't produce as much brake dust. Apparently, that does not exist.

I think I came across a post for a DIY for the X3 M40i where they were recommending the R1-Concept Optimum with ceramic pads. https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1720790

But if it's only going to save me a couple of hundreds over OEM, I'll probably stick with OEM.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #25
mike murphy
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

This thread is helpful.

I have the yellow service light come on saying my rear brakes need service in 1200 miles. At 23,976 miles, we had 8mm of pad material left and at 33,868 miles, we had 6mm left. Our 2019 X3 M40i now has 41,554 miles, so I'm guessing we are down to 4mm now. I looked and they look thin, but the advice given at the tire shop said to just let the trip wire flash the red warning and then come in. Don't replace them now. I said, "But maybe we don't want the rotors to have scoring?" He said, "the rotor thickness is so thin, rotors usually need to be replaced anyway."

Any truth to the rotor comment he made above? Should I take the wheel off and measure the pad thickness?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 03:43 PM   #26
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike murphy View Post
This thread is helpful.

I have the yellow service light come on saying my rear brakes need service in 1200 miles. At 23,976 miles, we had 8mm of pad material left and at 33,868 miles, we had 6mm left. Our 2019 X3 M40i now has 41,554 miles, so I'm guessing we are down to 4mm now. I looked and they look thin, but the advice given at the tire shop said to just let the trip wire flash the red warning and then come in. Don't replace them now. I said, "But maybe we don't want the rotors to have scoring?" He said, "the rotor thickness is so thin, rotors usually need to be replaced anyway."

Any truth to the rotor comment he made above? Should I take the wheel off and measure the pad thickness?
You can easily eyeball it - assuming your wheels permit. OEM pads eat rotors so yes, if you ran it this long then your rotors might need replacing as well. Telltale sign is the lip being more pronounced.

But I will suggest not to wait for it to trip the sensor. It's cheap but unnecessary spending. Maybe some techs just rip the sh*t out of it when removing so they conveniently advise to replace it. Took me under 2 mins the first time I did it on BMW - and that includes the time I searched for my flat head screwdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
So, you hit it right on the nail.

Yes, I'm looking for something that performs as well as OEM, but lasts longer and won't produce as much brake dust. Apparently, that does not exist.

I think I came across a post for a DIY for the X3 M40i where they were recommending the R1-Concept Optimum with ceramic pads. https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1720790

But if it's only going to save me a couple of hundreds over OEM, I'll probably stick with OEM.
How did yours go btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbk View Post
Any experience with Akebono?
Yes - although mostly on Infiniti/Nissan vehicles, not on BMW yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 11:19 PM   #27
das boots
Senior Chief (Ret.)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 M3, '05 ZHP, '24 X4 M401

Quote:
You can easily eyeball it - assuming your wheels permit. OEM pads eat rotors so yes, if you ran it this long then your rotors might need replacing as well. Telltale sign is the lip being more pronounced.

But I will suggest not to wait for it to trip the sensor. It's cheap but unnecessary spending. Maybe some techs just rip the sh*t out of it when removing so they conveniently advise to replace it. Took me under 2 mins the first time I did it on BMW - and that includes the time I searched for my flat head screwdriver

How did yours go btw?

Yes - although mostly on Infiniti/Nissan vehicles, not on BMW yet.

Are Brake Sensors for G01 & G02 still located in Front Left and Right Rear like all previous BMWs? And still using the same type?
SCPO SW USN (ret)
BMW CCA 192742, NRA Life Member, F&A M
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 11:24 AM   #28
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by das boots View Post
Are Brake Sensors for G01 & G02 still located in Front Left and Right Rear like all previous BMWs? And still using the same type?
Yes, same location for G01/G02. Not sure how you would define 'type.' Design may be similar but mounting may be a little different.
Appreciate 0