BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #1
wannabeX3owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 30e

Lack of adaptive LED headlights on the X3 30e?

When I got my 2020 X3 30e, I noticed it didn't have the hexagonal adaptive LED headlights, but the round non-adaptive LED ones. But I've noticed that unless it carries an M-badge, none of the plug-ins have the adaptive headlights, even the brand new 2021s coming into the dealerships.

It looks like you can add it with the Executive Package if you're building one out, but even the most expensive 30e's with (almost) all the options don't have the adaptive lights unless it's some flavor of the M.

Wondering if anyone knew the reasoning for this? Seems like a strange choice since the 30e's would be a good candidate for newer tech.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 01:26 PM   #2
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e / 2018 Model 3

My 30e has the adaptive LEDs (unless I'm confused about what those are) -- I optioned the exec package.

Unfortunately in the US we don't get the super intelligent high-beam technology which is a serious disappointment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
wannabeX3owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrplayer13 View Post
My 30e has the adaptive LEDs (unless I'm confused about what those are) -- I optioned the exec package.

Unfortunately in the US we don't get the super intelligent high-beam technology which is a serious disappointment.
Yup! These are the ones I'm referring to. I guess you can add them on as part of the executive package here in the US, but other than that, all the ones that are shipped to the showrooms come with the round non-adaptive ones...even the brand new 2021 models. Very strange choice, as even the lower end X1s all have them.

When you say we don't get "super intelligent high-beam technology," what do you mean? I assumed the intelligent high-beams was the main difference (aside from the shape) between the two...seems like I'm wrong?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 06:27 PM   #4
eX3Werks
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeX3owner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrplayer13 View Post

Yup! These are the ones I'm referring to. I guess you can add them on as part of the executive package here in the US, but other than that, all the ones that are shipped to the showrooms come with the round non-adaptive ones...even the brand new 2021 models. Very strange choice, as even the lower end X1s all have them.

When you say we don't get "super intelligent high-beam technology," what do you mean? I assumed the intelligent high-beams was the main difference (aside from the shape) between the two...seems like I'm wrong?
The adaptive LED headlights in North America have been decoded to not include anti-dazzle technology, due to it not being legal in U.S and Canada yet. Whereas in Europe that technology is available.

Which kind of sucks, we're getting an "inferior" product just because the laws say so.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:22 PM   #5
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

The round ones are adaptive. They move when you turn the wheel. There is one level of headlight below that are no adaptive. You are correct that the anti-glare technology is not available in the US due to old laws.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:53 AM   #6
FredBa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: XDrive30e

My guess is the LCI will get hexagonal adaptive as standard with laser in the executive package as the upgrade. We’ll find out very soon. But agree, it’s a shame the current X3 is the last with old style daytime running lights.
In Europe there are 2021 sDrive18d’s driving around with halogen lights, if it’s any consolation.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
wannabeX3owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBa View Post
My guess is the LCI will get hexagonal adaptive as standard with laser in the executive package as the upgrade. We’ll find out very soon. But agree, it’s a shame the current X3 is the last with old style daytime running lights.
In Europe there are 2021 sDrive18d’s driving around with halogen lights, if it’s any consolation.
Sadly, that DOES make me feel a little better.
Appreciate 0