BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-26-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
ExpatWithAnX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28i

Moved to Europe with US 2015 X3

Hello All,

I've browsed the forums and have not been able to locate a proper answer. Perhaps someone out there has gone through the same experience and has some insight.

Purchased my 2015 X3 xDrive28i when I was living in Colorado. The wife, who is Active Duty military, got word that we were going back to Europe.

"Awesome", I thought to myself, "We'll bring the BMW back to it's Motherland"
(Nevermind that it was manufactured in South Carolina)

I immediately recognized that there would be some challenges, primarily use of the ConnectedDrive services -- embedded SIM was spec'd for US and not Euro. No biggie. I chatted with the dealership and they advised me that I should be able to swap the combox once I arrived. They also advised that warranty and other such support shouldn't be an issue. Lots of frequent-mover-military-types had gone through this dealership, so I had no reason to second-guess their knowledge.

Once I arrived back to Europe, guess what? Lots of blank stares and "Ik weet het niet" dismissals.

After a number of months trying to reach someone in-the-know, both BMW NA and BMW Euro, I got passed-along to a gentleman who wrote the following:

"We took note of your observations concerning the ConnectedDrive services on your BMW and we analyzed them together with the manufacturer BMW AG.

After carefully investigating your request with our experts from the BMW ConnectedDrive department, we would like to inform you that the BMW ConnectedDrive Services are unfortunately not working in Europe, because your vehicle has been manufactured to US standards.

The built-in SIM card is not compatible with the European network and unfortunately, there is no technical solution in order to modify your BMW to the European standards.

Of course the BMW ConnectedDrive Services will be completely available once you return to the USA.
"

Duh.

Nevermind that the response only confirmed what I already knew. Since I've now a name and contact info for someone in BMW Customer Support, I've responded to get some additional info and ask other question spawned from the email, i.e. Will I have issues with warranty and recall (because I'm still getting mail from BMW with extended warranty notices)?

So, I ask you fine people this:
Has anyone here gone through this experience before and am I truly out-of-luck with restoring ConnectedDrive services (with a replacement combox)? A few Bimmer Enthusiasts I've chatted with make it seem like I should be able to resolve this issue...but each lead seems to fall flat.

Any proper explanation at this point would be most-appreciated. Thanks for reading and hopefully someone can say either Yes...Here's what you can do or Forget it, man, go back to eating your box of crayons.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Unlocking doors from a smartphone isn't worth the $1500 for a new combox for a couple months. I'd move on.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
ExpatWithAnX3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
Unlocking doors from a smartphone isn't worth the $1500 for a new combox for a couple months. I'd move on.
Not even concern about that. I've no traffic updates, no emergency services, no concierge, nothing... Thanks for the input, Riick, but I'm hoping that someone may be able to provide some information before I opt to move on.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
You likely need this part for a Euro X3:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=84_1118
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=84109362851

to replace this part on your US X3:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=84_1119
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=84106836777
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
ExpatWithAnX3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
You likely need this part for a Euro X3:

to replace this part on your US X3:

Sweet. Thanks for the info, najnad.

Is this something that you (or any other forum user) has done before? Not worried so much about the installation or technicals, just want to determine if anyone has had success with going from North American --> Euro using this method...

I'm sure there's (at least) one other person out there who is going though the same thing; want to make sure the best info is available for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
nope, never done it myself nor know anyone who has
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

I think you can change your navigation map pretty easily, the rest of it will be more of a challenge. For a temporary move I would probably stick a smartphone holder on my windshield and get on with life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatWithAnX3 View Post
Not even concern about that. I've no traffic updates, no emergency services, no concierge, nothing... Thanks for the input, Riick, but I'm hoping that someone may be able to provide some information before I opt to move on.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
ExpatWithAnX3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarivers View Post
I think you can change your navigation map pretty easily, the rest of it will be more of a challenge. For a temporary move I would probably stick a smartphone holder on my windshield and get on with life.

Thanks, atarivers. I've already gone through the task of successfully updating maps, recoding several options, etc... Because these items can be successfully updated, I'm still leaning towards discovering whether or not it's possible to regain access to the services I've lost since relocating.

As an update to this thread overall:
Since I've finally someone at the other end of my emails, I've been corresponding with Customer Service with regards to my questions. See my original post for their first response to my questions.
My last email to them, based on their "Your car is US-Spec so...nyah nyah muah", was to ask (1) what REALLY makes my X3 a US-Spec vehicle (from a technical perspective), (2) would replacing the COMBOX facilitate the restoration of services in my X3, and (3) would my car be excluded from warranty/recall coverage because they've labeled my vehicle as US-Spec. Here is the response I've received:

"...we have to confirm that, due to the complexity of the systems, there is no technical procedure in order to modify the national specifications of a vehicle.

Moreover, it is not possible to replace the TCB Box of your BMW by a new TCB Box with European specifications, the new TCB Box would in that case not be recognized by the vehicle.

Nevertheless, the national specifications of your vehicle have no impact on the services or eventual recall campaigns. The services of your vehicle can be realized at any European dealer."

I've bolded (above) some of the things that stood out to me as (perhaps) questionable.

While I continue my research, can anyone add to this topic or clarify the response I received from the Customer Relations Officer? Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

I believe you need to get hold of a coding wizard. BMW is correct that a new combox wouldn't be recognized by your vehicle. BUT, a good coder should be able to flash whatever modules interact with the combox and get them all to play nice. Head over to the coding sub-forum on Bimmerfest...
Appreciate 0