BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums BMW X3M (F97) and X4M (F98) General Forum (2018+) First 1200! Initial reviews.

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
OhMyXM
Enlisted Member
OhMyXM's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: M40i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

First 1200! Initial reviews.

I placed my order based on my ownership of an M40i. The first car my wife and I BOTH liked! The reviews came out, and most were, "great car, too early to really determine"... Aside from Top Gear, which I have totally lost all faith in after owning my X3M Comp for 1,200+ miles. I am a stay at home dad and shuttle two girls this side of the planet from every single day. I do it all in "sport plus" mode on all settings. It's easy, fun and exhilarating to drive! Makes shuttling kids around fun and youthful. There is some "turbo lag" if you get caught in the wrong gear, but duh... I am so glad to have upgraded! My wife lives her M40 so she's happy! And ya know what they say about a happy wife/significant other!! Thinking about the X3M Comp and have the means, get it! It is a kick in the ass to drive and useful too! I love love love it! No way, no how is it too harsh or all that mumbo jumbo. Top Gear has absolutely zero street cred with me anymore. The original guys would've probably enjoyed an SAV that kicks the snot out of 90% of everything out there. They guy who was someone in a tv show at one point... well, this owner who drives it daily in the head to head battle of life, I highly recommend it! It's for the M3 owner who had kids!
Appreciate 5
      09-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
2565
Rep
3,608
Posts

Drives: F90M5,F85X5M
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Va

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyXM View Post
I placed my order based on my ownership of an M40i. The first car my wife and I BOTH liked! The reviews came out, and most were, "great car, too early to really determine"... Aside from Top Gear, which I have totally lost all faith in after owning my X3M Comp for 1,200+ miles. I am a stay at home dad and shuttle two girls this side of the planet from every single day. I do it all in "sport plus" mode on all settings. It's easy, fun and exhilarating to drive! Makes shuttling kids around fun and youthful. There is some "turbo lag" if you get caught in the wrong gear, but duh... I am so glad to have upgraded! My wife lives her M40 so she's happy! And ya know what they say about a happy wife/significant other!! Thinking about the X3M Comp and have the means, get it! It is a kick in the ass to drive and useful too! I love love love it! No way, no how is it too harsh or all that mumbo jumbo. Top Gear has absolutely zero street cred with me anymore. The original guys would've probably enjoyed an SAV that kicks the snot out of 90% of everything out there. They guy who was someone in a tv show at one point... well, this owner who drives it daily in the head to head battle of life, I highly recommend it! It's for the M3 owner who had kids!
2200 miles here and totally agree !
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Scott55501
New Member
15
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: BMW m4
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyXM View Post
I placed my order based on my ownership of an M40i. The first car my wife and I BOTH liked! The reviews came out, and most were, "great car, too early to really determine"... Aside from Top Gear, which I have totally lost all faith in after owning my X3M Comp for 1,200+ miles. I am a stay at home dad and shuttle two girls this side of the planet from every single day. I do it all in "sport plus" mode on all settings. It's easy, fun and exhilarating to drive! Makes shuttling kids around fun and youthful. There is some "turbo lag" if you get caught in the wrong gear, but duh... I am so glad to have upgraded! My wife lives her M40 so she's happy! And ya know what they say about a happy wife/significant other!! Thinking about the X3M Comp and have the means, get it! It is a kick in the ass to drive and useful too! I love love love it! No way, no how is it too harsh or all that mumbo jumbo. Top Gear has absolutely zero street cred with me anymore. The original guys would've probably enjoyed an SAV that kicks the snot out of 90% of everything out there. They guy who was someone in a tv show at one point... well, this owner who drives it daily in the head to head battle of life, I highly recommend it! It's for the M3 owner who had kids!


I just drove 1000 miles from Florida to Dallas. Love the car but my only complaint is that the suspension can be too tight depending on the quality of the road you’re driving on Dallas roads are terrible and I feel every little imperfection when driving here. I wish it was a bit softer in comfort. That said, I didn’t have an issue when driving in Florida.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
Fast Intentions's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
313
Posts

Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Staten Island NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyXM View Post
I placed my order based on my ownership of an M40i. The first car my wife and I BOTH liked! The reviews came out, and most were, "great car, too early to really determine"... Aside from Top Gear, which I have totally lost all faith in after owning my X3M Comp for 1,200+ miles. I am a stay at home dad and shuttle two girls this side of the planet from every single day. I do it all in "sport plus" mode on all settings. It's easy, fun and exhilarating to drive! Makes shuttling kids around fun and youthful. There is some "turbo lag" if you get caught in the wrong gear, but duh... I am so glad to have upgraded! My wife lives her M40 so she's happy! And ya know what they say about a happy wife/significant other!! Thinking about the X3M Comp and have the means, get it! It is a kick in the ass to drive and useful too! I love love love it! No way, no how is it too harsh or all that mumbo jumbo. Top Gear has absolutely zero street cred with me anymore. The original guys would've probably enjoyed an SAV that kicks the snot out of 90% of everything out there. They guy who was someone in a tv show at one point... well, this owner who drives it daily in the head to head battle of life, I highly recommend it! It's for the M3 owner who had kids!
Facts! Best way to put It! "For M3 owners who had kids" couldn't have said It better myself.
__________________
Vehicle : 2016 /// F80 M3 DCT / Executive / M Adaptive Suspension
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 1
OhMyXM28.50

      10-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
IND-Distribution's Avatar
United_States
3960
Rep
6,608
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Agreed, we love ours!
__________________


866-963-4520 • FACEBOOKINSTAGRAMFLICKR
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
ParadigmDawg
Captain
ParadigmDawg's Avatar
510
Rep
827
Posts

Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott55501 View Post
I just drove 1000 miles from Florida to Dallas. Love the car but my only complaint is that the suspension can be too tight depending on the quality of the road you’re driving on Dallas roads are terrible and I feel every little imperfection when driving here. I wish it was a bit softer in comfort. That said, I didn’t have an issue when driving in Florida.
Are you in Dallas? I am looking for a X4MC to do a run against my AMG. It should be really fun and it should be close. Anyway you look at it, it will be two SUVs hauling azz.....

I am in Fort Worth
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
Scott55501
New Member
15
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: BMW m4
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
Are you in Dallas? I am looking for a X4MC to do a run against my AMG. It should be really fun and it should be close. Anyway you look at it, it will be two SUVs hauling azz.....

I am in Fort Worth

When and where eXactly?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
Max Well
Major
Max Well's Avatar
2083
Rep
1,376
Posts

Drives: '20 F97 X3MC,'19 G01 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
Are you in Dallas? I am looking for a X4MC to do a run against my AMG. It should be really fun and it should be close. Anyway you look at it, it will be two SUVs hauling azz..... I am in Fort Worth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott55501 View Post
When and where eXactly?
Hopefully at a track with formal slips - would be some great data.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
ParadigmDawg
Captain
ParadigmDawg's Avatar
510
Rep
827
Posts

Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott55501 View Post
When and where eXactly?
Street, Texas Motorplex or NorthStar Dragway in Denton?

My tires are shot so I don't think I can get traction right now and I am trying to get 800 more miles off my tires before I replace so near the end of this month or early November based on weather?

Post a couple of pictures of both our cars and we can be cool...lol...

COMING TO A DRAG STRIP NEAR YOU:

"PARADIGMDAWG IN HIS 2019 GLC AMG 63S VS SCOTT IN HIS 2020 X3MC"






Last edited by ParadigmDawg; 10-04-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
ParadigmDawg
Captain
ParadigmDawg's Avatar
510
Rep
827
Posts

Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Hopefully at a track with formal slips - would be some great data.
I am thinking NorthStar in Denton. It should be about the same drive for both of us and we would have more control over how we want to start. I am thinking a Pro tree to take the Christmas Tree more out of the equation or better yet, just compare slips and fastest car wins no matter who crosses first? The Tree shouldn't dictate which car is fastest in this scenario, that is more of a "who is the better driver". 2 out of 3 runs. I am curious which one will heat soak the quickest too.

Do you have any simulated data on the X2MC yet?

Last edited by ParadigmDawg; 10-04-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
onfireX5
Brigadier General
2565
Rep
3,608
Posts

Drives: F90M5,F85X5M
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Va

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
I am thinking NorthStar in Denton. It should be about the same drive for both of us and we would have more control over how we want to start. I am thinking a Pro tree to take the Christmas Tree more out of the equation or better yet, just compare slips and fastest car wins no matter who crosses first? The Tree shouldn't dictate which car is fastest in this scenario, that is more of a "who is the better driver". 2 out of 3 runs. I am curious which one will heat soak the quickest too.

Do you have any simulated data on the X2MC yet?
The X3MC will need the Sportsman Tree to build boost against the torque converter to get a decent launch. A Pro Tree will kill the X3MC.

I love DCT's. Have one in my Turbo S. Much better to launch vs BMW Launch Control. I've used BMW Launch Control many times on my X5M, M5 and X3MC. All limit rpm to 2700ish.

So ADVANTAGE Merc on this one with a 3500rpm DCT !

If both are pure stock, both launched properly, both 93 pump gas.......will be a very fun race. Merc with more torque and awesome DCT will leave quicker/harder...will the X3MC close the gap up top ?????? Fun to watch......

Good luck !
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #12
doberzus
Captain
doberzus's Avatar
United_States
607
Rep
799
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3MC / 2019 Tesla M3P
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: ~4500 ft above sea level

iTrader: (3)

GLC will pull hard from a dig. Agree with the above. It takes a solid 3-4 seconds to build up the boost on the X3M when launching. If you do LC too quickly and not build enough boost, it bogs down and hesitates. If you do it too long, the brakes wont hold the car back and it'll creep forward.

It has to be just right. Which is frustrating in these kind of time sensitive, racing scenarios. Get LC just right and the thing FLIES.
__________________
CURRENT: 2020 X3M Comp & 2019 Tesla M3P

RECENT PAST: 2016 Audi S3 / 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
onfireX5
Brigadier General
2565
Rep
3,608
Posts

Drives: F90M5,F85X5M
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Va

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post
GLC will pull hard from a dig. Agree with the above. It takes a solid 3-4 seconds to build up the boost on the X3M when launching. If you do LC too quickly and not build enough boost, it bogs down and hesitates. If you do it too long, the brakes wont hold the car back and it'll creep forward.

It has to be just right. Which is frustrating in these kind of time sensitive, racing scenarios. Get LC just right and the thing FLIES.
On the money. One thing that helps the brakes is to burnish the pads. Also a few hard stops to put some heat into them helps if they are not burnished.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 03:37 PM   #14
ParadigmDawg
Captain
ParadigmDawg's Avatar
510
Rep
827
Posts

Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

iTrader: (0)

I need time to build boost on LC too but like dober stated, it has to be just right. I would stage and then hit it but now I think you are correct, A sports tree would allow more time to build this. We could also run either tree if the starter is cool and we tell him to hit 3-4 seconds after staging. This would probably work just fine during a test and tune night.

Or heck, we could ignore the tree both agree to build boost and go on 3 honks...lol...

BTW, I just did 3 LC starts in a concrete parking lot(In Mexico) with traction control all the way off and car in Race mode and it stuck all 3 times so I probably don't have to wait for tires if we want to do it earlier.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
Max Well
Major
Max Well's Avatar
2083
Rep
1,376
Posts

Drives: '20 F97 X3MC,'19 G01 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
I am thinking NorthStar in Denton. It should be about the same drive for both of us and we would have more control over how we want to start. I am thinking a Pro tree to take the Christmas Tree more out of the equation or better yet, just compare slips and fastest car wins no matter who crosses first? The Tree shouldn't dictate which car is fastest in this scenario, that is more of a "who is the better driver". 2 out of 3 runs. I am curious which one will heat soak the quickest too.

Do you have any simulated data on the X2MC yet?
I've placed all the Sim data in the 1/4 mile thread, but haven't run the X4MC if that's what you meant (just using the X3MC as the surrogate as the curves will essentially superimpose). When Nate - IND obtained the Dyno figures I used HP of 546 HP and 496 lb-ft and it captured his 1/4 mile run quite well. As the Sim is run at sea level, and Nate had a fairly high DA, wouldn't be surprised if it has higher numbers at the crank to be honest. That graph is at: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=49

And I'll be really interested in seeing the interval times between the two, which is where we might see the separation in what each does best. As you suggest, I don't care who is the better driver, but this should yield some of the first comparison data in true 1/4 mile fashion. If you know anyone good at YouTube videos, might be worth it to have them tag along as suspect it would get a lot of views.

And apologies to OP for going off-topic, but am following the course of the thread with this.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #16
ParadigmDawg
Captain
ParadigmDawg's Avatar
510
Rep
827
Posts

Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
I've placed all the Sim data in the 1/4 mile thread, but haven't run the X4MC if that's what you meant (just using the X3MC as the surrogate as the curves will essentially superimpose). When Nate - IND obtained the Dyno figures I used HP of 546 HP and 496 lb-ft and it captured his 1/4 mile run quite well. As the Sim is run at sea level, and Nate had a fairly high DA, wouldn't be surprised if it has higher numbers at the crank to be honest. That graph is at: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=49

And I'll be really interested in seeing the interval times between the two, which is where we might see the separation in what each does best. As you suggest, I don't care who is the better driver, but this should yield some of the first comparison data in true 1/4 mile fashion. If you know anyone good at YouTube videos, might be worth it to have them tag along as suspect it would get a lot of views.

And apologies to OP for going off-topic, but am following the course of the thread with this.
The best track for us to go to is likely the denton one which is 1/8 mile. I am good going to the 1/4 track but they won't do us any starting favors.

It will be very interesting. I have a Dragy where I was doing a 0-60 but didn't let go right at 60 and rolled to a 1/8 mile at 7.91 @ 69.59 seconds. He shows a true 1/8 if 7.62@ 93.84.

We should get some bets going.

Last edited by ParadigmDawg; 10-04-2019 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #17
Max Well
Major
Max Well's Avatar
2083
Rep
1,376
Posts

Drives: '20 F97 X3MC,'19 G01 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
The best track for us to go to is likely the denton one which is 1/8 mile. I am good going to the 1/4 track but they won't do us any starting favors.
As long as you both follow similar starts does it matter what they think? Even if your reaction time is 3 sec, past the 60' mark will be where it'll get interesting. Appreciate the data you'll be able to share - just not sure the 1/8 will provide the full picture.

I won't be able to get to a Test-n-tune at our 1/4 mile track until late Nov/early Dec, but am anxious to get some runs in during the cooler weather.

Last edited by Max Well; 10-04-2019 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Added final sentence
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 10:11 PM   #18
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
639
Rep
11,446
Posts

Drives: 16 MKVII Golf,16 F15 X5,E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Upland, CA

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Agreed, we love ours!
Read the ‘engine massage’ you guys did. Very impressive numbers.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST