BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #23
Campro435
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1723 View Post
That raised piping on left side of my driver seat is killing me. Right one, however, acceptable.
I totally agree with this. It is not an issue unless driving for about 1.5 hours. Fortunately my commute is just less than 1 hour if there are no road issues.

I would be looking to switch as well but I have a hard time believing a new driver's seat costs ~10% of the total cost of the vehicle.

If anyone has found an aftermarket seat that would work, I would be interested.
Appreciate 1
M40i01745.50
      06-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #24
sprokai
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAikey View Post
My wife and I both believe our 2018 X3 is a great vehicle with one glaring exception - the very uncomfortable ventilated seats. I understand seat comfort can be subjective as everyone's back and bottom are different. What might work for some doesn't necessarily for others. For me these ventilated front seats are the most uncomfortable automobile seats I've ever sat in. And from my experience as an owner of a Westfield 7 and past owner of a +4 Morgan, that's saying something. Despite all of the adjustments, these seats are very hard which takes its toll on my back on any trip lasting more than a half an hour.

I brought our disappointment with the seats to the attention of BMW national and the local dealer. BMW national listened politely, but ultimately punted me to the dealer. When I inquired at the dealership what would it cost to replace the seats, considering one option, the reply was it would be "cost prohibitive." However, no dollar amount was given. The current "fix" offered by the dealer is to have us move into a different vehicle. At this point I haven't gone in to discuss what that would cost.

My question to the forum is, has anyone replaced a front seat(s) in an X3, and what was the cost? Does BMW have a flat rate for removing and replacing seats in a 2018 X3? Before I seriously consider replacing a near new vehicle because we hate the seats, it would be prudent to understand what "cost prohibitive" for replacing the seats really means in terms of dollars and cents.
I'd be interested in the cost/feasibility of installing a set of front seats from the X3M. I have the Ventilated Seats and while I don't find them uncomfortable, even on long rides, it's the lateral support, or lack there of, that kills me. Jumping from my M3 to the X3 is quite dissatisfying.
Appreciate 1
M40i01745.50
      06-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #25
jmcbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 X-drive 30i

Can anyone with the ventilated seats tell me if the heated portion is as good as regular (and always excellent) heated front seats? I'm considering the ventilation but must have very good / hot heated seats that BMW's have always had. Please advise about to special order! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 04:02 AM   #26
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcbmw View Post
Can anyone with the ventilated seats tell me if the heated portion is as good as regular (and always excellent) heated front seats? I'm considering the ventilation but must have very good / hot heated seats that BMW's have always had. Please advise about to special order! Thanks
We have the ventilated seat in our 2019 and they worked well, no issues, in our recent cold winter. They are quick to heat up and got nice and toasty.

Last edited by Bob in IL; 07-01-2019 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 2
jmcbmw34.50
M40i01745.50
      07-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #27
jmcbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 X-drive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
We have the ventilated seat in our 2019 and they worked well, no issues, in our recent cold winter. They are quick to heat up and got nice and toasty.
I know IL get's real cold so that's very helpful. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #28
MOWells
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 XDrive30i 2019

I can confirm that the ventilated seats in my 2019 XDrive30i are very warm. On the third setting (three lights showing) they are quite toasty; I normally only set it on two.
Appreciate 2
jmcbmw34.50
M40i01745.50
      10-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #29
M40i017
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
My wife and I both believe our 2018 X3 is a great vehicle with one glaring exception - the very uncomfortable ventilated seats. I understand seat comfort can be subjective as everyone's back and bottom are different. What might work for some doesn't necessarily for others. For me these ventilated front seats are the most uncomfortable automobile seats I've ever sat in. And from my experience as an owner of a Westfield 7 and past owner of a +4 Morgan, that's saying something. Despite all of the adjustments, these seats are very hard which takes its toll on my back on any trip lasting more than a half an hour.

I brought our disappointment with the seats to the attention of BMW national and the local dealer. BMW national listened politely, but ultimately punted me to the dealer. When I inquired at the dealership what would it cost to replace the seats, considering one option, the reply was it would be "cost prohibitive." However, no dollar amount was given. The current "fix" offered by the dealer is to have us move into a different vehicle. At this point I haven't gone in to discuss what that would cost.

My question to the forum is, has anyone replaced a front seat(s) in an X3, and what was the cost? Does BMW have a flat rate for removing and replacing seats in a 2018 X3? Before I seriously consider replacing a near new vehicle because we hate the seats, it would be prudent to understand what "cost prohibitive" for replacing the seats really means in terms of dollars and cents.
What is your status with this specific situation?

I am also not that big of a fan of these ventilated seats but had gotten a good deal on my vehicle so I went for it. The lack of lateral support is pretty sad... I noticed a single X3 30i seat (passenger) for sale on ebay at around $799. Have you converted your ventilated seats yet, and if so how did you go upon doing so?!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #30
M40i017
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcbmw View Post
Heating on the ventilated seats work very well. Ventilation is mediocre unless very hot/sweaty days.

Its all down to comfort and what your looking for considering your driving style.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 08:15 PM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:

I have not personally attempted to replace or purchase a seat, but due to the part of the industry where I work, we had occasion to purchase a single front seat for a 4 Series coupe. That experience may be instructive. The first thing we discovered is that one does not purchase a "seat". You have to work through the bill of materials for a seat to order all the components and assemblies that, when combined, will make a seat. The end result was that our one seat for our purposes was thousands of dollars...as I recall approximately somewhere above $3k. I recall some of our engineers expressing their surprise and conversation that we hope never to need to do that again.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 11:02 PM   #32
M40i017
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks to all for the constructive posts regarding my very uncomfortable ventilated seats. I sent a letter to BMW North America voicing my displeasure with the seats. They contacted me and the dealer fairly quickly to have us all work something out. Saturday we pick up a new 2018 X3 with, what appear to be, very comfortable seats. Not the cheapest solution to the problem, but not the most expensive.
What did you and the dealership end up doing? Were you leasing or owned?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #33
chania98
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Can someone post photos of their ventilated seats? Canberra beige would be ideal. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #34
chania98
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
Thanks and how are the seats on long drives?

Also what color do you have? Any pics of the seats?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #35
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by chania98 View Post
Thanks and how are the seats on long drives?

Also what color do you have? Any pics of the seats?

Thanks!
Neither my wife or I have any issues with the seats on long drives but you really have to try them to see how they feel to you. My seats are Canberra. I'll see if I have some pics.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #36
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

The bolstering is definitely worse on the ventilated seats, but yeah, asking about comfort is like asking another person if they like their pants. Go have a try!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #37
chania98
Rep

The issue is that none of the dealers in NY area have an X3 with ventilated seats to try out, hence why I am asking. Let me know how those pants feel as well😄
Appreciate 1
arube138.50
      10-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #38
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

It's like there's a party in here.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #39
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I’ll try on somebody’s pants if they let me.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #40
Tinus
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X4 2,5d & Z4 2,0i

I got ventilated in a X4 and yes , for me it"s perfect , less hard on your bottem , and extra cooling when it"s hot , would I change them fot sportseats NOOO , but it's a personal thing
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #41
ProfessorPatPending
Private
Rep
Drives: X5, X3M, X3m40i

For anyone considering changing their seats, here are obstacles to consider:

- Center console buttons for ventilation would no longer work.
- Car software is seat-aware, so changing may introduce new issues.
- Potential differences in the wiring harness or connector.
- Cost, labor and aggravation.
Appreciate 0