BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #1
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

X3 M40d First Thoughts

One week in, gave car its first wash this weekend.

Driving - drives pretty good, adaptive dampers keep it really flat in Sport. Super smooth delivery and loads of low down grunt. Not pushed it yet as decided to follow running in guidelines. But, from memory in my Audi bitdi, because most of the grunt is low down, it won't feel significantly faster even after run in. It isn't as fun as the low down 440i was on the Peak District twisties, but it's pretty good for an SUV. I actually like the noise piped in, it isn't even as obvious as it was in the 40i I test drove, which is odd, as it is all fake I suppose.

Interior - overall pretty good. Feels a nice place to sit, like the ambient lighting and digital dash the most. The digital dials have bits of metal added to give a bit more definition, which I like better than the newer version that has just landed at the dealers. One bad thing though, when you put into Sport, the dials change and the speedo one is really ugly. I want the comfort dials, which look really good, in Sport mode. Don't think that can be done though? Harmon Kardon is as expected from my last car, pretty good.

Exterior - it really needs the 718m's to arrive from the dealers that should have been on in the first place. It looks ok, bit mumfortable with the 20's, but it'll never be love from the outside. I like a bigger SUV, or a big saloon, but budget wouldn't stretch to that with the wife already having a Q7. I like some angles, I actually really like the cerium grey and the 718m's will give that a further lift too. I just think the back end looks a bit too narrow and nipped, and the front side windows are too deep and square looking, making it look less sporty and a bit like a greenhouse on top.

I've never yet owned a car that I love everything about, but overall this is pretty good, and it feels like a step up from the 440i in lots of ways. Happy with my decision so far, and when it gets the wheels I ordered, I'll be even happier. So, far I've managed to get an M Sport golf umbrella freebie thrown in, which is surprisingly good quality with rubberised and carbon looks. If they take too long, I'll be asking for more.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Rbrown2766.50
sinbad4783.50
D69GMB465.50
Douggie143.50
      10-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Glad you like it, and like you the only thing I really miss is the saloon/coupe looks, which really is less important to me now than all the advantages these cars have.

You can fix the ugly dials by coding the Alpina ones:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/qqLfWvn2/2-CE05...-CADA1-C26.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/kGF99cr6/490920...D4921-FABD.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Sophisticated grey looks great with the cerium bits, IMO. 21” wheels do look awesome - excited for you.

The X3 keeps looking better to me. I like the angry stance. The only piece I’m less keen on is the large sized tail lights - X4 looks better there.

If your like me, you will like this vehicle more the more you drive and live with it.
      10-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I rather like the 20s... that's why I down-specced to them with non-RFTs but after 11 years on RFTs I've had it with them. The 21s and adaptive though I feel work as well as any RFTs I've used.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I rather like the 20s... that's why I down-specced to them with non-RFTs but after 11 years on RFTs I've had it with them. The 21s and adaptive though I feel work as well as any RFTs I've used.
Each to their own, I get that wheels are very subjective.

I've got 21s on another car, and I can't tell the difference when I drive. Plus, with adaptive I'm confident I'll be fine.

For me, if I've spent the money on an M-lite car, I want it to look a little different to the ones on the school run each morning. I do do most of the school runs.....so I've seen a few. The 20s on it now are pretty common on X3 2.0d's round here.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Sophisticated grey looks great with the cerium bits, IMO. 21” wheels do look awesome - excited for you.

The X3 keeps looking better to me. I like the angry stance. The only piece I’m less keen on is the large sized tail lights - X4 looks better there.

If your like me, you will like this vehicle more the more you drive and live with it.
I agree on the rear lights of the X4, much better, although the whole of the rear of the rear end of the X4, looks a bit fat and out of proportion too. Like a hyena dragging its bum.

Would like thinner lights though, as the X5 has as well, on the X3. Might come when there's an LCI, who knows.
Appreciate 1
sinbad4783.50
      10-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Round here Bentleys are more common than X3 20Ds, actually very few X3s at all.... Wheels are indeed very subjective/personal. The 21s suit the technical nature of the car with a sportier interior eg black with blue stitching. I've gone for Merino and therefore a softer look and hence the sleeker 20s vs "technical". Just different sides of the same coin.

It was my 2nd road test over coarse UK roads which tipped the balance for myself, like I said 11 years on RFTs.... this was due to leases not allowing me to ditch them. But... I've also gone with black trim so 718Ms would have contained the only Cerium. So may tailoring options, which is great.

Last edited by clivem2; 10-13-2019 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Each to their own, I get that wheels are very subjective.

I've got 21s on another car, and I can't tell the difference when I drive. Plus, with adaptive I'm confident I'll be fine.

For me, if I've spent the money on an M-lite car, I want it to look a little different to the ones on the school run each morning. I do do most of the school runs.....so I've seen a few. The 20s on it now are pretty common on X3 2.0d's round here.
True the 21’s definitely look a lot more special, and fine if you don’t get through tyres quickly. For me the problem is the tyre sizes are very new, and the only premium tyres currently available are all RFT’s, and well north of £200 each, compared to £120 for non RFT * marked new model P Zero’s on the 20’s.

Maybe I’ll get the 21’s on my next one, if there’s a better selection of tyres available for them by then.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #9
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
True the 21’s definitely look a lot more special, and fine if you don’t get through tyres quickly. For me the problem is the tyre sizes are very new, and the only premium tyres currently available are all RFT’s, and well north of £200 each, compared to £120 for non RFT * marked new model P Zero’s on the 20’s.

Maybe I’ll get the 21’s on my next one, if there’s a better selection of tyres available for them by then.
I never seem to get through too many tyres, so tyre cost is never a consideration.

I drive quickly in the peaks, but a lot of miles are on cruise on the motorway doing business miles. In my 440i, I did 54,000 miles. I changed the rears once and the fronts were the originals that came with the car!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 01:32 AM   #10
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

It’s tyre cost that put me off the 21s. Last car admittedly I had no punctures and was on the same set after nearly three years. Previous car picked up 6 punctures, 4 in as many weeks.

I thought it had been confirmed there’s no ASD on the diesels?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 04:29 AM   #11
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
It’s tyre cost that put me off the 21s. Last car admittedly I had no punctures and was on the same set after nearly three years. Previous car picked up 6 punctures, 4 in as many weeks.

I thought it had been confirmed there’s no ASD on the diesels?
Pretty sure there's ASD on it, if not they've done an amazing job of making a diesel sound like a rumbling V8.

Think I'm going to go for tyre and alloy insurance when my new ones arrive, so only got fair wear to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #12
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Pretty sure there's ASD on it, if not they've done an amazing job of making a diesel sound like a rumbling V8.

Think I'm going to go for tyre and alloy insurance when my new ones arrive, so only got fair wear to worry about.
Maybe it's just the 30D that doesn't have ASD (which is what I have on order)?

Car looks great by the way!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #13
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

"... amazing job of making a diesel sound like a rumbling V8."

True-dat
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #14
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

So my new wheels have arrived at the dealer finally. Took it in today for them to be fitted and they gave me a nice X4M Competition for the day. Was OK, very fast when I got it going, but not a car I'd say I loved.

Went back this afternoon to collect mine and they'd not done it, said it would be Saturday before it was ready.

I've now been given an M5 Competition for the weekend, don't have to return it until Monday! Now this is something, love at first drive......just wish I could afford one!

I hope all my future cars come with the wrong wheels on!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
chicagofan0019248.00
D69GMB465.50
      10-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #15
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
So my new wheels have arrived at the dealer finally. Took it in today for them to be fitted and they gave me a nice X4M Competition for the day. Was OK, very fast when I got it going, but not a car I'd say I loved.

Went back this afternoon to collect mine and they'd not done it, said it would be Saturday before it was ready.

I've now been given an M5 Competition for the weekend, don't have to return it until Monday! Now this is something, love at first drive......just wish I could afford one!

Wow, they spoiled you with the loaners!

My dealership typically just hands out base model 3 series or X2s for loaners.

I'm sure a select group get better options but I'm definitely not in that group!

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #16
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Is it quick?

:->
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #17
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Wow, they spoiled you with the loaners!

My dealership typically just hands out base model 3 series or X2s for loaners.

I'm sure a select group get better options but I'm definitely not in that group!
I work in sales, I used my own skills in reverse on them, ha ha.

They got something wrong, they wanted to make up for it, I pointed them in the right direction.....

The M5 really is amazing, it might not be a good thing, disappointed when I get my brand new car back!
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #18
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Is it quick?

:->
Like nothing I've ever been in. 625 bhp, or whatever it is, is fast, especially with x drive. Pouring rain and it still didn't lose grip.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Lucky buggerer!
Appreciate 0