BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
Ascari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M - 08 X3 MSport 3.0D

Engine fan running high

Hi guys, my 08 M Sport X3 has a few quirks at the moment. We had a random 4x4 and airbag light go on recently, and BMW looked at it when doing an oil change and no issue; the problem went away. Now it's back, and in conjunction the engine cooling fan appears to be running at full speed on start up, despite the engine being cold. We have been monitoring engine temp, no issue there, all normal. Seems like some sort of sensor issue; was wondering whether anyone had something similar before I take it in for the no doubt expensive diagnosis? Thanks, in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
ucfscotty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
Hi guys, my 08 M Sport X3 has a few quirks at the moment. We had a random 4x4 and airbag light go on recently, and BMW looked at it when doing an oil change and no issue; the problem went away. Now it's back, and in conjunction the engine cooling fan appears to be running at full speed on start up, despite the engine being cold. We have been monitoring engine temp, no issue there, all normal. Seems like some sort of sensor issue; was wondering whether anyone had something similar before I take it in for the no doubt expensive diagnosis? Thanks, in advance
most likely fan blade clutch gone bad. same problem on my E46 with the M54 engine.
      09-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
astrapower
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Thumbs up

Hello Ascari, although your post is more than 7 years ago, can you please say if you have been able to solve the problem. I have similar problem, but your post is the only one i find in the web. All the posts I found on the topic did not include the fan running at full speed on start up.

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0