BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2022, 12:17 AM   #1
Type M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24 M4CX On Order

Annoying...

So I've had my X3MC for 2 weeks now and I'll first start off by saying the more I drive it the more I like it.

With that said, I wanted to vent for a second about what I consider to be some really annoying quirks about this vehicle.

First I want to point out that I am not new to BMW or the ///M vehicles as I've had a M2, M4, and a couple of M3's in my past before I got a C8 that I thoroughly loved, was able to sell for more than what I paid, and decided to come back to BMW and try a SAV.

With all that out of the way, I am greatly annoyed with these quirks and wish BMW would have done things differently.

First, the electronics not shutting off when exiting the vehicle. I know some of have said to just press the volume knob for 5 seconds and others have said pressing the Start Stop button twice will do this, and I also saw an article that says in the Car Settings under Vehicle Access you can check the option for Vehicle to shut off when exiting which should shut off the electronics when you open the door, but my question is why do we even have to do that? You park your vehicle, and you leave, who wants their electronics to just stay on for like almost 10mins? Why?

Second, the HUD View. There is at least two different locations in the Menu setting where you can select a view. I personally prefer the Sport view or what is known as the hockey stick view. I love it, and kudos to BMW for this view. HOWEVER, you can only select this view when your M Mode is set to Sport. The issue is I prefer my gauge cluster to be the Road view, which when you set your M Mode to Sport to get the Sport view in your HUD, it also changes your gauge cluster to Sport view and you cannot change it to Road. Again, BMW, WHY??! Why even have the HUD and Display view settings in your menu when you can't even change it? Why?

Other than these quirks I think the X3MC is everything I was hoping it'd be performance wise. I was really concerned that I wouldn't like the auto compared to the M-DCT that I loved in my previous cars. I will say those concerns have vanished and quite honestly the auto is so responsive in S3 and Sport Plus that I really can't tell the difference. I will say I do prefer the shift paddles from my previous ///M cars but the ones in the X3MC aren't horrible either.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #2
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type M View Post
So I've had my X3MC for 2 weeks now and I'll first start off by saying the more I drive it the more I like it.

With that said, I wanted to vent for a second about what I consider to be some really annoying quirks about this vehicle.

First I want to point out that I am not new to BMW or the ///M vehicles as I've had a M2, M4, and a couple of M3's in my past before I got a C8 that I thoroughly loved, was able to sell for more than what I paid, and decided to come back to BMW and try a SAV.

With all that out of the way, I am greatly annoyed with these quirks and wish BMW would have done things differently.

First, the electronics not shutting off when exiting the vehicle. I know some of have said to just press the volume knob for 5 seconds and others have said pressing the Start Stop button twice will do this, and I also saw an article that says in the Car Settings under Vehicle Access you can check the option for Vehicle to shut off when exiting which should shut off the electronics when you open the door, but my question is why do we even have to do that? You park your vehicle, and you leave, who wants their electronics to just stay on for like almost 10mins? Why?

Second, the HUD View. There is at least two different locations in the Menu setting where you can select a view. I personally prefer the Sport view or what is known as the hockey stick view. I love it, and kudos to BMW for this view. HOWEVER, you can only select this view when your M Mode is set to Sport. The issue is I prefer my gauge cluster to be the Road view, which when you set your M Mode to Sport to get the Sport view in your HUD, it also changes your gauge cluster to Sport view and you cannot change it to Road. Again, BMW, WHY??! Why even have the HUD and Display view settings in your menu when you can't even change it? Why?

Other than these quirks I think the X3MC is everything I was hoping it'd be performance wise. I was really concerned that I wouldn't like the auto compared to the M-DCT that I loved in my previous cars. I will say those concerns have vanished and quite honestly the auto is so responsive in S3 and Sport Plus that I really can't tell the difference. I will say I do prefer the shift paddles from my previous ///M cars but the ones in the X3MC aren't horrible either.
I have a pre-LCI X3MC and many of those issues, I've resolved by doing the following

Electronics not shutting off: actually never had this issue nor have I had to do the steps of hitting the volume knob.

The HUD View, I've gotten to code M-View in the HUD on Efficient Mode via Expect Settings of BimmerCode, I have the old instrument cluster which are the digital needles with the cool silver trim on the screen which ads a nice touch. Start coding and unlock even more cool things!

Instagram: F97_KT
Appreciate 1
Type M168.50
      04-06-2022, 03:39 PM   #3
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTees View Post
I have a pre-LCI X3MC and many of those issues, I've resolved by doing the following

Electronics not shutting off: actually never had this issue nor have I had to do the steps of hitting the volume knob.

The HUD View, I've gotten to code M-View in the HUD on Efficient Mode via Expect Settings of BimmerCode, I have the old instrument cluster which are the digital needles with the cool silver trim on the screen which ads a nice touch. Start coding and unlock even more cool things!
Can you share what you coded in BimmerCode to get M-View in the HUD in that mode? On LCI you have to press the M-Mode button everytime; very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 04:38 PM   #4
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
There are a couple things that drive me nuts with my X3 MC…

Why can’t they allow you to toggle the miles to empty to the actual odometer? Yes, there are other ways to see it but it’s such a simple thing. Minor gripe but annoying that the odometer is not up in the center of the screen while driving.

Another minor annoyance is what is noted above about the radio. I have to open and shut the door twice or lock it to get the radio to shut off.If not the radio stays on for ~20 minutes. I get I can just turn it off from the radio but this is something that ever other car I’ve owned just does once the car is off and the door is opened.

Overall I do love the car. Just a couple things that make me wonder why.
Appreciate 2
Type M168.50
Swappy531.50
      04-06-2022, 07:25 PM   #5
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the review... I traded my C8 for an M4 - After waiting 7 months for the M4 finally make it here and while I really like the car, I don't like the Toronto Red I picked and the reality of my 61yr old age is sinking in and I think I'd be better served by the X4MC - Add to that the likely windfall again (Did well on the C8/M4 trade) and I'm pretty sure I'll be joining you in this Club - Just have to pick the right color combo this time!
Appreciate 1
Type M168.50
      04-06-2022, 07:50 PM   #6
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
... Again, BMW, WHY??!...
It comes from the top (Adrian van Hooydonk), BMW doesn't give a $hit what customer thinks or want.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #7
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
Quote:

Can you share what you coded in BimmerCode to get M-View in the HUD in that mode? On LCI you have to press the M-Mode button everytime; very annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
Quote:

Let me run mine again and I'll see if I can provide some screenshot

Instagram: F97_KT
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:54 PM   #8
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

My favorite part about the car staying on is that the wipers engage when you try to clean the window at a gas station, throwing the bugs and crap on you. 🤦
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 07:35 PM   #9
cehrl7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
2020 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
2022 X3MC  [10.00]
All you have to do is lock the doors and the radio will shut off.
Black Sapphire Metallic/Gray
Appreciate 1
LloydP83.50