BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
cozydozy
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

How to feel comfortable driving my new x3?

First time bimmer driver here who just parted with her first car of 15 years. This may sound a bit ridiculous but after the sales person went through the ins and outs of the x3 with a couple of others congratulating me on my big upgrade, instead of feeling eager to drive, I felt a bit overwhelmed, if not scared. The thing is that there are so many buttons and functions, which stress me a lot as my old car does not have any of these things. All I did was to sit in and start driving. I've been a careful driver over the years but I cannot even believe that I'm feeling slightly intimidated by this thing. How to feel more comfortable driving my new car?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
McNuggetz
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 28i, '18 Focus ST

By driving it. Watch YouTube review videos of your car. You may learn a thing or two
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2018, 04:15 AM   #3
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Download the BMW Genius App, enter your vehicle, and watch the short videos contained therein.
      07-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
rockit2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 N55

First off just relax and enjoy your new ride. Take your time , maybe read the owners manual little by little. Start off with the controls as they control everything(lol) then when you see something that you do not know what it does just look it up. When I purchased my first BMW it took me a month or so to understand everything. The key here is relax and have fun !!!!!!
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

Don't start off thinking you NEED to know its everything. Because you will not be able to, there is simply too much.
A piece at a time, I bought the trickle charger, installed it easily. Then started spending some time in the garage,
hood up and charger on it. With Manual reading thru the mandatory every day usage stuff, lights, signals, wipers,
seats, mirrors, set time and date, pair the phone, radio stations, what the FOB does.
your emergency link should have been set up at the dealer. Then there is the connected drive menu and controller.
(get a cover for the FOB as accidental lift gate openings CAN and WILL happen from ooopz the button got pushed)
then move up to the infotainment and Nav, its a learning curve NO RUSH !

Get tripped up, put a question up here, lots of people with lots of exposure !
enjoy !

what model, options and toys did you get ? ? ? ?
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #6
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockit2 View Post
maybe read the owners manual little by little.
Cannot stress this enough. That book tells you things you will not even remember years later, due the various sub-systems. Learning things won't happen overnight, so just drive it and you will get used to it. Ask us questions (probably answered in that manual), but it seems to be a pretty easy bunch out here that will answer.

These vehicles can seem overwhelming. Wifey got her first BMW after being in mine for years (and never driving it - a e89), after a few days it was like "Oh - this is just like in yours..."

Once you get the hang of it - your next BMW will be so easy....

Last edited by Lurcher; 07-25-2018 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Just drive it as you did your old car, and slowly you will learn (with the help of videos and owners manual) the other features. Dont be afraid of your X3, it wont bite!
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Agreed to the above, it'll just take some time. The owners manual, genius app, and various Youtube videos all will help.

After a while you won't be intimidated any more, you'll actually be sort of tickled by all the options you have available.

PS don't feel the need to use all the options & features, just be happy they are there if you do decide to.
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #9
fxoffroad
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 X3/'18 i3s/'12 X5/'03 Z8

I think this is totally normal for your first BMW. You are going to love your car - and its gonna fit like a glove.

Be patient and NOT hard on yourself. I really appreciate your direct honesty. But you will be fine. Your X3 is VERY safe.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh.../x3-4-door-suv

There are also numerous videos on YouTube that explain features.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BMWUSA/...iew=50&sort=dd

Congrats on your purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozydozy View Post
First time bimmer driver here who just parted with her first car of 15 years. This may sound a bit ridiculous but after the sales person went through the ins and outs of the x3 with a couple of others congratulating me on my big upgrade, instead of feeling eager to drive, I felt a bit overwhelmed, if not scared. The thing is that there are so many buttons and functions, which stress me a lot as my old car does not have any of these things. All I did was to sit in and start driving. I've been a careful driver over the years but I cannot even believe that I'm feeling slightly intimidated by this thing. How to feel more comfortable driving my new car?
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
cozydozy
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Many thanks everybody for your helpful insight. I really appreciate them! I have driven it around for a while and planned to start reading the manual. Gosh the manual was like a textbook with SO MUCH information! For example, I didn't know that there are additional adjustment required when I send it for auto wash to avoid damage to the parts! Gee, I am really feeling the upgraded demands

On the other hand, it felt nice driving this little thing. Since it has a pretty strong engine, I need to constantly try not to speed. But guess what? I just found out that the dash "VR" display speed was actually faster than the actual speed by around 3 miles per hour. That just made my day
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
All BMWs show 2-3 miles faster than they actually are traveling. This is due to a German (European?) law that says the manufacturer is responsible if the vehicle is faster than what the speedometer indicates. Since BMW doesnt want to pay any type of fine for that kind of thing, they make the cars slower than what the speedometer indicates.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #12
cwpearre
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i

You can download the "Genius" app for BMW or search for the "genius" videos on you tube.....All were very helpful when I bought my X3.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #13
FunkyTang
United_States
Rep
Drives: 85325e 98540i 08335i 14X1-35i

ProTip:

1. Read the user manual from cover to cover, when you first get the car.
2. After two months of driving the car, read the user manual from cover to cover again.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #14
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Xdrive

Never mind; old news.

Last edited by hogwldfltr; 11-03-2019 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0