BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
seekon
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i M Sport

Bad quality GoodYear tires or Wheel Alignment?

Hi All,

I bought a 2013 BMW X3 CPO, which came with Brand new GOODYEAR EAGLEŽ LS-2 ROF, 245, 45, R19

Issue: I felt my X3 riding rough, which gradually got worse. Later the instrument panel alerted to "slowly come to stop due to low tire pressure".

Upon investigation, I was surprised to see the inner wall seam had come all apart. There was no incident that caused this, no pothole struck, nothing. A complete surprise to me. Luckily these were run flat tires allowing me to get home, would have been stuck in the dark otherwise.

Is this issue due to a QA issue or Wheel Alignment Issue? Anyone experience this before?

I have attached a YouTube video for reference:

https://youtu.be/k0yqwJ14t-I

I have attached images for your reference:

Damaged Section:

OK Tire condition: (not worn out)

OK Tire condition: (not worn out)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

My guess is the tire had been driven on w/o proper (or any) inflation and the internal structure has finally given way, failed; maybe by prior owner? We can't know for certain.

I have never owned a BMW under any kind of warranty but I would expect the Dealership would provide a new tire at not cost...and it would seem prudent to have the other 3 tires inspected.

Good Luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 12:27 AM   #3
seekon
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
My guess is the tire had been driven on w/o proper (or any) inflation and the internal structure has finally given way, failed; maybe by prior owner? We can't know for certain.

I have never owned a BMW under any kind of warranty but I would expect the Dealership would provide a new tire at not cost...and it would seem prudent to have the other 3 tires inspected.

Good Luck/Bill
Thanks Bill.

I hate to replace these only to experience the same issue.

Perhaps I may be the only one who experienced this issue on the X3?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
I had a similar thing happen. At any sign of heat chunks of rubber would come off and after awhile the inner side of the tire delaminated. Once that happened I ditched them for PS4S.

A little too much negative camber in combination with this bad tire will get you a result like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekon View Post
Quote:

Good Luck/Bill
Thanks Bill.

I hate to replace these only to experience the same issue.

Perhaps I may be the only one who experienced this issue on the X3?
It seems an unusual failure. I run regular (non Runflats) and carry a plug kit and compressor- ride quality with regular tires is superior to runflat. Maybe something to consider for your next set of tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
If the TPMS is not working properly and/or not set to the right PSI, you could have been driving on too low of a pressure for the tire resulting in the failure you see here. I had a similar failure due to low tire pressure on another vehicle.

That being said, it could be alignment, hard to tell in the picture how much the inner edge is worn vs damage after the separation occurred.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Quote:

Good Luck/Bill
THIS!!!!!

That's why nobody will EVER repair run flats. A run flat tire once driven with no air or under-inflated will have the structure damaged. No matter the distance driven. The max distance they say is 50Km or so, at which point they will probably disintegrate like the tire in your pic.
Thing is, if you get a nail on the driving surface, and you don't lose much air (like only couple psi) you could repair it. Problem is finding the shop. Or you could repair yourself. If the pressure drops too low, then instead of the air holding the tire, it will be the sidewalls inner structure, which is good to only drive to a shop and replace the tire. A full rotation of a RFT without air with the full vehicle load = compromised sidewall inner structure.
This is why the shops don't repair them, because they cannot trust a client telling them for example: "I just noticed the tire is low (which you can't even if there is no air in it - RFT) and prior to driving I filled it with air to come to your shop and fix that nail damage". If they fix it and the tire breaks down while driving, and God forbid something happens, they are on the hook.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #8
seekon
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Quote:

Good Luck/Bill
THIS!!!!!

That's why nobody will EVER repair run flats. A run flat tire once driven with no air or under-inflated will have the structure damaged. No matter the distance driven. The max distance they say is 50Km or so, at which point they will probably disintegrate like the tire in your pic.
Thing is, if you get a nail on the driving surface, and you don't lose much air (like only couple psi) you could repair it. Problem is finding the shop. Or you could repair yourself. If the pressure drops too low, then instead of the air holding the tire, it will be the sidewalls inner structure, which is good to only drive to a shop and replace the tire. A full rotation of a RFT without air with the full vehicle load = compromised sidewall inner structure.
This is why the shops don't repair them, because they cannot trust a client telling them for example: "I just noticed the tire is low (which you can't even if there is no air in it - RFT) and prior to driving I filled it with air to come to your shop and fix that nail damage". If they fix it and the tire breaks down while driving, and God forbid something happens, they are on the hook.
I had a look at my passenger tire, and I can see signs of the same issue. Looks like this tire is on its way out as well. I did not see this issue on the rear tires.

It looks like a bit of wear as well on the inner walls.

[IMG]http://www.sekhon.ca/images/X3/BadTireRight.jpeg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:40 PM   #9
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

About how many miles have you put on these tires?

I'm sticking with my 'go-flat' tires, Jack, plug kit and compressor!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #10
najnad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had a look at my passenger tire, and I can see signs of the same issue. Looks like this tire is on its way out as well. I did not see this issue on the rear tires.

It looks like a bit of wear as well on the inner walls.

[IMG]http://www.sekhon.ca/images/X3/BadTireRight.jpeg[/IMG]
If you are seeing similar damage on the other tire that has not failed then it is clear you have an alignment issue. Replace that tire as well and get an alignment.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #11
seekon
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

What tires do you end up purchasing? I am also thinking this maybe a better solution for me...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #12
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have Yoko YK 740 GTX....were in car when I purchased it summer 2018; high tread wear rating all season, at 40K miles now and nearing wear bars. Smooth and quiet ride.

Going to go to slightly different Yoko model when I buy new ones.

Any regular tire will give better ride compared to RF.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:18 AM   #13
seekon
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have Yoko YK 740 GTX....were in car when I purchased it summer 2018; high tread wear rating all season, at 40K miles now and nearing wear bars. Smooth and quiet ride.

Quote:

Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 11:58 PM   #14
Oilverland
Red-gistered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 F25 xDrive 35i

Note that generally you should not replace only one tire on an AWD vehicle. If there is very little tread wear on the other tires it might be OK. Else you risk destroying the transfer case due to different wheel rotation speeds.

So buy a new set or talk the dealer into it (they should have inspected them on a CPO car one would think - they did sell you an unsafe car) and then get a hazard insurance policy for them that if one goes bad, you get at least pro-rated value of all 4.

As noted in another post, get go-flats and a compressor and some sealant. Much better ride.

Read up on online reviews before you buy, from sources such as Consumer Reports, Tire Rack and Discount Tire (a.k.a. America's Tire). Ignore Amazon reviews and others that get high ratings in search engine results - they are merely opinion pieces or may use Web page tricks that get them rated higher than merited. That's my opinion, anyway.

I'm dubious that misalignment was a primary issue but no harm in having it checked. If it were misaligned that badly it would steer really poorly, I suspect. Goodyears don't usually get the best reviews. If I had two tires go bad I'd want to get rid of all 4, regardless of brand. A friend had Michelins that wouldn't hold air - very unusual for them to have problems so maybe a bad batch that he should and did replace.

Last edited by Oilverland; 10-22-2019 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:06 AM   #15
seekon
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilverland View Post
Note that generally you should not replace only one tire on an AWD vehicle. If there is very little tread wear on the other tires it might be OK. Else you risk destroying the transfer case due to different wheel rotation speeds.

So buy a new set or talk the dealer into it (they should have inspected them on a CPO car one would think - they did sell you an unsafe car) and then get a hazard insurance policy for them that if one goes bad, you get at least pro-rated value of all 4.

As noted in another post, get go-flats and a compressor and some sealant.

Read up on online reviews before you buy, from sources such as Consumer Reports, Tire Rack and Discount Tire (a.k.a. America's Tire). Ignore Amazon reviews and others that get high ratings in search engine results - they are merely opinion pieces. That's my opinion, anyway.

I'm dubious that misalignment was a primary issue but no harm in having it checked.
Thanks Oilverland.

My CPO warranty just ran out, therefore I'm on my own.

I have ordered a new set of non-flat

CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06,

I will get the alignment completed on install.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #16
seekon
Canada
Rep

I purchased the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 for my X3, which the website indicated that they are correct for my:

2013 X3 35i, MSPORT

When the tech was in the process of installing he told the service manager that he can not install these because they do not have the XL as indicated on the label inside the door.

The Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 are 98, but my original OEM are 102 XL.

They will accept the return of the tires, but do not have any tires in the same price range.

Are these not safe for my X3?

1. Return the tires?

2. Go to another place to have these installed?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by seekon; 10-28-2019 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #17
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I purchased the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 for my X3, which the website indicated that they are correct for my:

2013 X3 35i, MSPORT

When the tech was in the process of installing he told the service manager that he can not install these because they do not have the XL as indicated on the label inside the door.

The Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 are 98, but my original OEM are 102 XL.

They will accept the return of the tires, but do not have any tires in the same price range.

Are these not safe for my X3?

1. Return the tires?

2. Go to another place to have these installed?

Any thoughts?
Most retail tire sellers/installers are highly conscious of the liability of fitting a car with improper tires - in your case the car has an 'XL" load rating requirement and seems this Conti tire does not meet that load carrying capacity. I'm not enough i the know to say if the tires are 'safe' for your car or not - but I think better safe than sorry. Personally I'd lean towards a tire that meets or exceeds the XL load carrying capacity.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
seekon
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Most retail tire sellers/installers are highly conscious of the liability of fitting a car with improper tires - in your case the car has an 'XL" load rating requirement and seems this Conti tire does not meet that load carrying capacity. I'm not enough i the know to say if the tires are 'safe' for your car or not - but I think better safe than sorry. Personally I'd lean towards a tire that has the XL load carrying capacity.
Thanks Wgosma, kind of annoying that the website allows you to purchase them indicating that these are the correct tires for your vehicle, only to find out they are not...

I don't see too many tires with the XL rating as well, search continues...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 07:43 AM   #19
najnad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am surprised the shop wouldnt put the tires on for you, maybe have you sign a waiver saying you acknowledge the tires are not XL?

Tirerack has 6 different tires that are all season performance in your size with a load rating of 102 which is equal to XL.

I am running tires with load rating of 98, but most of the time my X3 has just me and maybe a passenger or two...no significant weight, so I am ok with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #20
seekon
Canada
Rep

Hi Guys,

I go into get an alignment done at a shop that indicated that they are setup to do BMW alignments.

The shop indicated that my X3 is out of alignment and they can do 95% of the alignment but are unclear on how to do adjust the camber as they indicated it is all one piece.

Anyone familiar with the camber? Is this not adjustable, or does it need a special tool?

I may have to drive to the BMW dealer to get this done, they are a bit of distance therefore was hoping to get it aligned locally. I don't want my new tires to wear out in the same location.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #21
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Front camber is not wrench-adjustable on BMW cars; 'toe'is the only front parameter that can be readily adjusted.
Rear camber is adjustable, any good alignment shop can align a BMW, there is no special equipment nor tools needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #22
seekon
Canada
Rep

Thanks Wgosma,

The tech indicated that the camber was out as per the red showing on their alignment machine vs the specs for this X3. If the camber is out, what does BMW dealer do to realign it? Replace parts?
Appreciate 0