BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #23
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Ok so I have read most of what the press and early HEA purchasers have written but this is just a brief note from someone who special ordered his vehicle and is a long standing BMW and ///M fan. I have owned 13 BMWs before this including a E63 and E64 M6 modified by Dinan, F13 M6 heavily modified to 720hp, a X5M F85 with 725hp and two Alpina B7s so I am used to vehicles with 600+ hp. With that said...

I took early delivery of our new X3M Comp after initial prep and install of ALP jammers. No detail no clear bra and no upgrades yet. First drive out I noticed how stiff the suspension is. Much stiffer than the M40i in the startup softest settings. After a few miles you get used to it but if you are not accustomed to M vehicles and want a daily driver in bad roads like Michigan this is not your vehicle.

Next complaint from most was the initial throttle lag from start. Yes its there but not for the reason most think. It is 100% due to the car being in efficient throttle mode from start. Quick change to sport and this is a whole new animal. Rocket off the line and very responsive at all legal speeds. Of note the vehicle is a blast at highway speeds on smooth pavement. All the power you need to pass and get a speeding ticket very quickly. It also limits the car to 7th gear max without changing any other settings and turns exhaust to loud.

Handling and steering... where should I begin. First the steering is the absolute best I have driven on a BMW since my E39 540i sport. Sharp as a razor and perfectly weighted, dont bother changing the settings. Handling is every bit as precise and way more than a SUV should ever have but at the tradeoff of ride comfort. Again no need to change from comfort and in fact comfort is a joke, should be labelled sport and the others sport +/++. Will update after I put more than 200 miles on it.

Seats are extremely firm and supportive but not comfortable if you are a wide or heavy person. Clearly a European fit. The upgrades in the interior make the vehicle much nicer than a garden variety X3 but no match for a 5 series/X5 or better. Enough said about that

Exhaust note is average until you put it in sport throttle and then it wakes up. Nice and with really nice sounds on downshift but no comparison to an Akrapovic I had on the X5M. We will see if I upgrade this.

Color. First car I have ever owner with Dark Graphite/Sophisto Gray. Spectacular and way better than carbon black. Touch of purple if bright sun and goes well with the black shadowline trim. Questions just message me.

Sorry have to get back to my kids swim meet but will try to post updates when I can.

Peace, Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 4
      07-27-2019, 12:01 PM   #24
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Ok so I have read most of what the press and early HEA purchasers have written but this is just a brief note from someone who special ordered his vehicle and is a long standing BMW and ///M fan. I have owned 13 BMWs before this including a E63 and E64 M6 modified by Dinan, F13 M6 heavily modified to 720hp, a X5M F85 with 725hp and two Alpina B7s so I am used to vehicles with 600+ hp. With that said...

I took early delivery of our new X3M Comp after initial prep and install of ALP jammers. No detail no clear bra and no upgrades yet. First drive out I noticed how stiff the suspension is. Much stiffer than the M40i in the startup softest settings. After a few miles you get used to it but if you are not accustomed to M vehicles and want a daily driver in bad roads like Michigan this is not your vehicle.

Next complaint from most was the initial throttle lag from start. Yes its there but not for the reason most think. It is 100% due to the car being in efficient throttle mode from start. Quick change to sport and this is a whole new animal. Rocket off the line and very responsive at all legal speeds. Of note the vehicle is a blast at highway speeds on smooth pavement. All the power you need to pass and get a speeding ticket very quickly. It also limits the car to 7th gear max without changing any other settings and turns exhaust to loud.

Handling and steering... where should I begin. First the steering is the absolute best I have driven on a BMW since my E39 540i sport. Sharp as a razor and perfectly weighted, dont bother changing the settings. Handling is every bit as precise and way more than a SUV should ever have but at the tradeoff of ride comfort. Again no need to change from comfort and in fact comfort is a joke, should be labelled sport and the others sport +/++. Will update after I put more than 200 miles on it.

Seats and extremely firm and supportive but not comfortable if you are a wide or heavy person. Clearly a European fit. The upgrades in the interior make the vehicle much nicer than a garden variety X3 but no match for a 5 series/X5 or better. Enough said about that

Exhaust note is average until you put it in sport throttle and then it wakes up. Nice and with really nice sounds on downshift but no comparison to an Akrapovic I had on the X5M. We will see if I upgrade this.

Color. First car I have ever owner with Dark Graphite/Soohisto Gray. Spectacular and way better than carbon black. Touch of purple if bright sun and goes well with the black shadowline trim. Questions just message me.

Sorry have to get back to my kids swim meet but will try to post updates when I can.

Peace, Noushy
Excellent ! I thought the same thing about throttle response at M Days. Slow in EFF, fine in Sport.

I had Akra on my X5M also. Was perfect for me. Now you have me thinking about upgrading the X3M when it arrives. Akra sound is a "minimum" for me.

IND just ran an 11.8 at 116mph pure stock X3M. It took a RC to get my X5M to run that fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #25
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:

Seats and extremely firm and supportive but not comfortable if you are a wide or heavy person. Clearly a European fit. The upgrades in the interior make the vehicle much nicer than a garden variety X3 but no match for a 5 series/X5 or better. Enough said about that

Color. First car I have ever owner with Dark Graphite/Soohisto Gray. Spectacular and way better than carbon black. Touch of purple if bright sun and goes well with the black shadowline trim. Questions just message me.

Peace, Noushy
Excellent ! I thought the same thing about throttle response at M Days. Slow in EFF, fine in Sport.

I had Akra on my X5M also. Was perfect for me. Now you have me thinking about upgrading the X3M when it arrives. Akra sound is a "minimum" for me.

IND just ran an 11.8 at 116mph pure stock X3M. It took a RC to get my X5M to run that fast.
Oh this thing is light and that gives it a huge advantage plus this is the new generation xDrive called ///M xDrive that debuted on the M5. I think the combination makes this thing a rocket for what it is. Plus typical BMW sandbagging. My guess is closer to 540hp. We will see when someone puts it on the dyno... cough IND cough cough.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #26
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

BTW sorry for any typos composing this on my iphone while watching a swim meet is not a great way to do this...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 09:03 PM   #27
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d, Boxster GTS (981)

Garage List
Quote:

First drive out I noticed how stiff the suspension is. Much stiffer than the M40i in the startup softest settings. After a few miles you get used to it but if you are not accustomed to M vehicles and want a daily driver in bad roads like Michigan this is not your vehicle.
Crap..is it that stiff?
Only reason I'm considering an SUV this time around is because of family, but if it's stiff maybe i'll have to consider to just go with the M5...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 09:34 PM   #28
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yujini View Post
Quote:

First drive out I noticed how stiff the suspension is. Much stiffer than the M40i in the startup softest settings. After a few miles you get used to it but if you are not accustomed to M vehicles and want a daily driver in bad roads like Michigan this is not your vehicle.
Crap..is it that stiff?
Only reason I'm considering an SUV this time around is because of family, but if it's stiff maybe i'll have to consider to just go with the M5...
Its stiff no question. If you have good roads its tolerable. Really should test drive one. I had no chance since I received the first allocation.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:58 PM   #29
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

All that really matters is, are you still happy that you got it and would you do it again? Or still too early to tell?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 12:02 AM   #30
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Crap..is it that stiff?
Careful though because most reports say M5 comp is very stiff while M5 base is more comfortable. Makes me wonder about X3MC vs X3M but of course no comparos available there yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 12:18 AM   #31
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Careful though because most reports say M5 comp is very stiff while M5 base is more comfortable. Makes me wonder about X3MC vs X3M but of course no comparos available there yet.
M5 comp is known to have stiffer bushings, engine mount, etc so we can expect the stiffness, but for x3m bmw said that the only diff is 30 hp, and larger rollbars (other than the cosmetic stuff).
So I would think difference between x3m and comp would be minimal.

I could be wrong. Hopefully someone reviews both.
This is the first m car that has such a different review from the reviewers.
top gear saying it's worse than glc63amg, others saying it's soft even in sports plus...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:49 AM   #32
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Quote:

Crap..is it that stiff?
u need to test drive it for yourself. everyone has different tolerances. my ride is lowered on coilovers and stiff but I love it. to me, it's not harsh at all but my wife hates it
      07-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #33
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Crap..is it that stiff?
Really good question. As for being happy its still too early. Bang for your buck the M40i with a tune is the way to go especially with the big discounts. I would say the worse aspect is the ride and the jury is still out. Will drive it to work the next two weeks so that I can get the mile son it for break in service. Long commute about 50 miles each way. Will have a better answer in 2 weeks.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #34
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Really good question. As for being happy its still too early. Bang for your buck the M40i with a tune is the way to go especially with the big discounts. I would say the worse aspect is the ride and the jury is still out. Will drive it to work the next two weeks so that I can get the mile son it for break in service. Long commute about 50 miles each way. Will have a better answer in 2 weeks.

Noushy
I’d check the tire pressure also. My X5M was slightly Softer than my F90 M5. My wife’s X5 35 that she traded for the X3M order is softer than my X5M. We drove her X5 (softest of all) to M days to compare. The roads are very good and may have faked me out, but the ride did not stand out. M5ish to me. But was a short 20 minute ride.
Appreciate 1
noushy1650.00
      07-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #35
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congratulations!
Appreciate 2
noushy1650.00
      08-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #36
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Xpel installed

So the car had the clear bra installed and its 1200mile break in done and detailed. A few quick iPhone photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      08-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #37
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Looks great, noushy - thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #38
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So the car had the clear bra installed and its 1200mile break in done and detailed. A few quick iPhone photos
color looks very nice.
Appreciate 1
noushy1650.00
      08-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #39
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I normally change wheels, but the stock pics are growing on me. Black with a machined face “fits” the X3M.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #40
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Beautiful car. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 12:10 AM   #41
RedlumF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5

Niiice! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #42
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Update since you’ve put some miles on the X3M ?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #43
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Update since you've put some miles on the X3M ?
Yeah, noushy we want to hear more. I'm able to get a pretty killer deal, but so torn with letting go of our X5M.
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #44
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

Can you provide thoughts on the sound system? Also does anyone know if its the same as the regular X3?
Appreciate 1
MarinoB282.00