BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-10-2022, 10:08 PM   #1
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

The unofficial "1200 mile service" thread

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello all - I had a lot of fun with the Unofficial "Status 150" thread (OP here) and thought we also could share our experiences with the break-in of these M cars, any initial quality issues, overall impressions (the good, the bad and the ugly) after putting the initial miles down.
I'll go first in the next post...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 10:19 PM   #2
DBU
Captain
Rep

Op here (again). So I "worked hard" to get to 1200 miles so I could take my '22 X4M in for that break-in service. Appointment was booked for the following week via txt messages. I drop the car off at 10am as agreed and hitch a ride home with my wife.
Late that afternoon, I receive a phone call from the SA; Bottom line was that they did not have the M-specific rear differential oil in stock. He claimed they had canvassed "several dealers in the area" and none could be found. But, "we expect a shipment any day now."
Turns out that if you exceed 1500 miles before performing the diff oil change, BMW may deny warranty on the diff down the line. I agree they keep the car overnight and "hopefully we can source some diff oil tomorrow."
Next afternoon, I am getting impatient and call the SA. "No diff oil yet." I take it upon myself to check with three dealers in the area. One, the biggest one, was also out but I found two that had the magic oil. Just as I was about to purchase that oil my SA calls to tell me that their shipment had come in.
But how can a dealer accept a pretty standard M-car break-in service and NOT have the right oil in hand?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 10:57 PM   #3
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
It happens, they want the business, "usually things come in quickly" then oops fuck its going to be late. A day or two wont kill anyone if you have a loaner, the world is fucked, lower your standards a little.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 12:35 AM   #4
ZCPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Hmm, more concerning to me is the part about exceeding 1,500 miles potentially voiding the diff warranty. Is that real?

I have PCD scheduled for the end of the month and planning a roughly 1,500 mile trip home, before I'll be able to get to a dealer for break-in service. Do I need to alter my plans?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 06:02 AM   #5
Gsavarese
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Garage List
This out of stock crap is still going on? I had the same thing with my break in service A YEAR AGO. Dealer did my oil change and I came back about 3 weeks later to get the diff service done. No one mentioned anything about the 1500 mi warranty warning.

The most galling thing is dealers making us come in knowing they don’t have the materials to complete the service.
Appreciate 1
DBU232.50
      07-11-2022, 08:26 AM   #6
stoked335d
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2002 Mspec Nur  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Hello all - I had a lot of fun with the Unofficial "Status 150" thread (OP here) and thought we also could share our experiences with the break-in of these M cars, any initial quality issues, overall impressions (the good, the bad and the ugly) after putting the initial miles down.
I'll go first in the next post...
Perfect timing on this thread as my odometer reads 1203 miles. Was going to schedule it using the myBMW app but now will be calling service depts of local dealers to see who has this magic oil. I do have a long road trip planned in a mid-August to Nova Scotia.

Edit:

Called my local dealer and they have the oil today but my appt is in 8 days from now so who knows if they will have it then. We'll see.

By the way does this break in service include regular oil change also? SA told me the first oil change is at 10K miles which doesn't sound right to me. I recall my Audi had 5K miles/ 6 month first oil change requirement which was included. I may pay out of pocket at my Indy shop to flush out the break in oil after my trip.
2014 S4 APR stg1 444hp retired
2010 335d; 2004 WRX wagon; 1994 300ZX -retired

Last edited by stoked335d; 07-11-2022 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 04:57 PM   #7
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Op here (again). So I "worked hard" to get to 1200 miles so I could take my '22 X4M in for that break-in service. Appointment was booked for the following week via txt messages. I drop the car off at 10am as agreed and hitch a ride home with my wife.
Late that afternoon, I receive a phone call from the SA; Bottom line was that they did not have the M-specific rear differential oil in stock. He claimed they had canvassed "several dealers in the area" and none could be found. But, "we expect a shipment any day now."
Turns out that if you exceed 1500 miles before performing the diff oil change, BMW may deny warranty on the diff down the line. I agree they keep the car overnight and "hopefully we can source some diff oil tomorrow."
Next afternoon, I am getting impatient and call the SA. "No diff oil yet." I take it upon myself to check with three dealers in the area. One, the biggest one, was also out but I found two that had the magic oil. Just as I was about to purchase that oil my SA calls to tell me that their shipment had come in.
But how can a dealer accept a pretty standard M-car break-in service and NOT have the right oil in hand?
I spoke to BMW Customer Services today and they confirmed that there is a 500 mile grace period over any service including the M car RIS.

Double confirmed with my dealer.

So you can go up to 1700 miles.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 2
ZCPM4134.00
DBU232.50
      07-11-2022, 05:25 PM   #8
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked335d View Post
Perfect timing on this thread as my odometer reads 1203 miles. Was going to schedule it using the myBMW app but now will be calling service depts of local dealers to see who has this magic oil. I do have a long road trip planned in a mid-August to Nova Scotia.

Edit:

Called my local dealer and they have the oil today but my appt is in 8 days from now so who knows if they will have it then. We'll see.

By the way does this break in service include regular oil change also? SA told me the first oil change is at 10K miles which doesn't sound right to me. I recall my Audi had 5K miles/ 6 month first oil change requirement which was included. I may pay out of pocket at my Indy shop to flush out the break in oil after my trip.
Yes, BIS includes a regular oil change. You'll still get the 10k / 1 year oil change.
Appreciate 2
DBU232.50
      07-11-2022, 07:31 PM   #9
jackal15
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M Comp

Had my service last week at 1150 miles. Oil change and diff oil change. Service advisor said they haven't had any supply issues for diff oil. He also did the standard BIS tune - +80hp at the wheels

J/k
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 09:24 PM   #10
Travisbach2381
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3MC

Same happened to me. Dropped the car off in VA Beach left it and received a call after prompting two days later saying they didn't have the dif fluid. I picked the car up and received a call three days later that the fluid was in. Brought it in and they had it done two hours later. It was a pain in the ass and they should have known they didn't have the parts or fluid to do the service when I booked the appointment. Last time I will do service in VA beach home dealership is Jacksonville they have amazing service. and loners.
Appreciate 1
DBU232.50
      07-11-2022, 11:00 PM   #11
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCPM4 View Post
Hmm, more concerning to me is the part about exceeding 1,500 miles potentially voiding the diff warranty. Is that real?

I have PCD scheduled for the end of the month and planning a roughly 1,500 mile trip home, before I'll be able to get to a dealer for break-in service. Do I need to alter my plans?

I would without a doubt. Back in the day when we could do ED, many M-cars had their break-in service done in Germany, i.e. ANY dealer anywhere can and will do it.
I'd suggest you head to a dealer for the break-in service on the way home.

PS: You are aware that it is best to avoid long trips at constant road and engine speed first 1200 miles, right? A proper break-in basically consists of 1200 miles of city driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 11:03 PM   #12
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked335d View Post

Edit:

Another SA who doesn't even know what he is selling/servicing. Yes, there is an oil and filter change as part of the break-in service.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 11:06 PM   #13
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal15 View Post
Had my service last week at 1150 miles. Oil change and diff oil change. Service advisor said they haven't had any supply issues for diff oil. He also did the standard BIS tune - +80hp at the wheels

J/k

Simply not true. There is no magic "release of extra HP". That rumor has been around for a long, long time. And it may well have been true a long time ago. I dunno...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 07:54 AM   #14
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp

Quote:
I would without a doubt. Back in the day when we could do ED, many M-cars had their break-in service done in Germany, i.e. ANY dealer anywhere can and will do it.

PS: You are aware that it is best to avoid long trips at constant road and engine speed first 1200 miles, right? A proper break-in basically consists of 1200 miles of city driving.
I also heard about the 1200 miles needing to be city driving. My 1200 miles service consisted of 2 long trips. One I took an extra hour to get there...so I could do more back roads vs highway. But the second half of the trip was highway, and the second trip was all highway. Bottom line if this was 100% true no way would BMW let you pick up a "M" car in Spartanburg. You would then drive it many miles at highway speed home.

My dealer told me to put 1200 miles on it. Also mine came with 39 miles on it and the computer hit the 1200 mile service light at 1239. I think I had close to 1300 on mine when I had it serviced. Took me 2.5 weeks to get to 1300 miles. Dealer was shocked. Also they told me when I purchased it that I had to do the service as close to 1200 as possible to avoid possible warranty issue. He even said if I was out of town to arrange the local dealer to do it. The service is that important.
Appreciate 1
DBU232.50
      07-12-2022, 07:56 AM   #15
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Simply not true. There is no magic "release of extra HP". That rumor has been around for a long, long time. And it may well have been true a long time ago. I dunno...
I think that is why he wrote "j/k" or Just Kidding.

Besides, I wanted to get my 4,200 hp software mod. So much for that dream....

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 08:39 AM   #16
Savage_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & 2022 X3M Comp

Quote:
I agree. One would think, you sell an M-car, you order all the stuff needed for the break in to have it on hand for your "premium" customer. My sales advisor actually warned me about this issue and suggested I text him a week in advance so that he makes sure they order the diff oil and have it on hand.

I just had my break in service performed last Friday. Here are my only issues in the first 1200 miles...
  • Screw in a tire at 327 miles, I almost broke the dealerships record which stands at 110 miles.
  • TPMS sensors flaked out 2 or 3 times. By flake out, I mean it has no reading for pressure or temperature on all 4 tires.
  • I mentioned the TPMS issue during the break in and they found a nail in the same tire, so they blamed it on that.

All I can say, is that I'm glad I bought the wheel and tire warranty! With dealer prices, the replacements were about $450-475 a pop. They don't plug at my dealership so the warranty covers the full replacement. If you're thinking about it, just get it!
      07-12-2022, 09:01 AM   #17
ZCPM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnichols138 View Post
Quote:

I also heard about the 1200 miles needing to be city driving. My 1200 miles service consisted of 2 long trips. One I took an extra hour to get there...so I could do more back roads vs highway. But the second half of the trip was highway, and the second trip was all highway. Bottom line if this was 100% true no way would BMW let you pick up a "M" car in Spartanburg. You would then drive it many miles at highway speed home.

My dealer told me to put 1200 miles on it. Also mine came with 39 miles on it and the computer hit the 1200 mile service light at 1239. I think I had close to 1300 on mine when I had it serviced. Took me 2.5 weeks to get to 1300 miles. Dealer was shocked. Also they told me when I purchased it that I had to do the service as close to 1200 as possible to avoid possible warranty issue. He even said if I was out of town to arrange the local dealer to do it. The service is that important.
Right, I'm not sure how it would be possible to do PCD and not have some pretty good chunks of highway driving afterwards, unless you live in the immediate area.

I'm planning to break it up as much as I can, probably not drive 3-4 hours a day, and find some back twisty roads (planning to do the Tail of the Dragon). Gotta get back to Texas one way or the other, but I may try to shorten a bit to stay closer to 1,200 at this thread's advice. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
DBU232.50
      07-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #18
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
My friend is a tech at the dealer and he had to look for the rear diff fluid in the shop cause at first he thought he didnt have it. I just brought the car over and he squeezed me in.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 09:13 AM   #19
MackSea70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C, 2020 Tesla Y LR

Orlando, FL here - also, no magic diff oil here or anywhere in Central FL - and this is now going on two weeks.

I took mine in at 1,1xx miles and now I'm at 1,3xx with no running in service complete. Pretty mad about this - if you're going to sell the car, make sure you have ample supplies to service it.

While mine's a lease and probably a short term one at that (it's a nice car and all - just holding me over until I get my allocation for a unicorn M3) I had the dealer note in the car files that this is THEIR mistake, not my lack of attention to the running in service. I also called BMW NA last week and had them add a note to the file on the car as well, so that if there is ever a denied warranty claim due to the run in service not being performed on time, it will be clear that it is because of BMW.
2023 M5C (MBB, Tartufo, CCB, MPE, splitter, skirts, diffuser and pro spoiler), 2022 X3MC (gone), 2022 M5C (gone, not forgotten), 2020 992S (gone), 2018 M3C (should have never let it be gone), 2015 550i (gone), 2013 550i M-Sport (gone), 2010 Panamera (good riddance) (this list is getting entirely too long).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #20
Strick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC, 2019 M2C

Took mine in last Friday to have the service done. Rear oil was also not in stock. After the dealer pulled a few strings they were able to source some from another dealership about an hour away.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 10:43 AM   #21
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
It seems like this is the stuff. Maybe the dealerships could buy it from them! haha.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Genuine-...Oil-500mL.html

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 01:53 PM   #22
dooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_M3 View Post
I agree. One would think, you sell an M-car, you order all the stuff needed for the break in to have it on hand for your "premium" customer. My sales advisor actually warned me about this issue and suggested I text him a week in advance so that he makes sure they order the diff oil and have it on hand.

I just had my break in service performed last Friday. Here are my only issues in the first 1200 miles...
  • Screw in a tire at 327 miles, I almost broke the dealerships record which stands at 110 miles.
  • TPMS sensors flaked out 2 or 3 times. By flake out, I mean it has no reading for pressure or temperature on all 4 tires.
  • I mentioned the TPMS issue during the break in and they found a nail in the same tire, so they blamed it on that.

All I can say, is that I'm glad I bought the wheel and tire warranty! With dealer prices, the replacements were about $450-475 a pop. They don't plug at my dealership so the warranty covers the full replacement. If you're thinking about it, just get it!
The wheel and tire warranty you purchased, is it through BMW or a 3rd party? And if you don't mind sharing, what did you pay for it?
Appreciate 0