BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

X3M M Town Test Drive

I did the brief M Town test drive today. (For perspective, I had been considering the MB GLC63, Jaguar F-Pace SVR, and the Stelvio QF, then decided to wait for the X3M/X4M release. I recently settled on the Jag and placed an order. I had booked the M Town test drive months ago, and kept the appointment since no one needs to twist my arm to drive a new M car.)

Appearance -- There are plenty of videos and photos available now, so each of you can make your own decision. Seeing it in person, the comments that the exterior design does not distinguish it greatly from the non-M X3 are fair. In comparison, there is more visible difference between the M3 and M4 compared to their non-M versions.

Interior -- The seats are beautiful and comfortable. It was easy to find a comfortable driving position. The steering column adjustment, although manual, also contributes to this. The dash display is very attractive, much more so than the trapezoidal/hexagonal nonsense in the X5/X7. The infotainment display is vivid, clear and easily manipulated through iDrive. I would prefer the screen to be integrated into the dash, but the whole package is modern, functional and attractive. The rear seats are somewhat spartan but the seat back recline function is welcome.

HUD -- Attractive and informative display but virtually useless if wearing polarized sunglasses. This deficit is fairly universal with HUDs. I did not even realize there was an HUD in the car until half way through the drive.

Engine -- Not much happens below 3,000 rpm. After that, the boost kicks in and the car rockets forward. Whether you want to call it turbo lag or lack of displacement or cylinders, the result is a highly non-linear power delivery. To me this is a significant detriment compared to its V8 rivals. Overall, the car is undeniably fast, but I wonder what the acceleration numbers would be without launch control.

Sound -- If you like an aggressive exhaust sound, I expect you will be disappointed. In the cabin, even with the driver's window down, after a half-hearted growl on start-up, there is not much else. Under hard acceleration, there is a decent but unremarkable 6 cylinder sound, and I expect anyone who wants a distinctive exhaust note will be quickly investigating aftermarket options. Both the GLC63 and the Jag SVR are way ahead in the sound department. (For perspective, I had a Supersprint Race exhaust on my e60 M5 and it was the most enjoyable mod I bought. It produced a deep, throaty sound throughout the rev range without the raspiness and excessive volume of other options such as the Eisenmann.)

Ride -- I was particularly interested in the every day ride quality given the multiple reports that it is overly harsh. This test did not lend itself to a firm conclusion because the only streets available were very smooth. I did turn off onto a couple side streets with less ideal pavement. I kept the suspension in Comfort. Here, the ride was definitely firm, but not jarring. would want to test it on bumpier asphalt before deciding whether the ride is sufficiently compliant for daily use.

Handling -- There was no opportunity to evaluate it, but I have no doubt that this is a real strength.

So, in sum, an impressive machine in many respects with a few notable flaws. Does it stir your soul enough to buy it? It did not stir mine, but everyone has different preferences and priorities, so make your own decisions. I expect anyone who decides after analysis that this car is for him or her will enjoy it.
Appreciate 3
      08-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Thanks for sharing.

I am going to test drive X4M Competition when my dealer has at least one in stock.

How long will you be waiting for Jaguar F-Pace SVR?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d, Boxster GTS (981)

Garage List
Thanks for sharing.
It seems like x3m is pretty good.
The v8 in the glc 63 or jag would definitely sound better.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
How long will you be waiting for Jaguar F-Pace SVR?
Delivery expected third or fourth week of October.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #5
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

I have to agree with almost every single aspect OP pointed out.
About the sound, what are the aftermarket exhaust options? Midpipes? M performance exhaust?

Handling, OP didn’t test this but I did. Trust and believe this thing hugs the road not much body roll I call it an M3 on SUv clothing to me the similarities are very close.

Suspension is good doesn’t bother me but I would prefer to lower it about. What are the aftermarket options? Is the X3M and the X3M40i aftermarket parts the same? Seems like the aftermarket scene for the X3 isn’t a broad as the M3/4

I personally like it (I pushed the one I had hard) but my M3 ZCP is modded some I think in order for me to part ways I would have to mod the x3M sort of the same way to be content.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
BradATL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i M-Sport (sold)

Excellent review by the OP. I too test drove the X3 M as part of the M Town tour. I can add that the handling is absolutely awesome. Even in Comfort mode, it is SO MUCH tighter/nimbler than my X5 50i that has Adaptive M suspension with DHP.

I could definitely see this as my next vehicle purchase, except that it isn't available with a trailer hitch. I need a tow hitch for my hitch-mounted bike rack. So I likely will buy a Macan as my next vehicle purchase.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Whoa, pardner! I am coming out of an M40i with factory hitch and would not have gone to the X3MC if a hitch solution weren't in the works. So it comes factory pre-wired which means it's not impossible. Several manufacturers (like stealth hitch and others) already make excellent add on hitches for the G01 for those who skipped it at the factory. Stealth hitch will make one for the X3MC as well. I know where you're coming from. I have all kinds of hitch required accessories. A hidden aftermarket hitch will soon be on the market for the F97 rest assured. Don't let the lack of that now push you to a macan if you otherwise like the X3M. My 2 cents.....

Last edited by MrItaly; 08-14-2019 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradATL View Post
Excellent review by the OP. I too test drove the X3 M as part of the M Town tour. I can add that the handling is absolutely awesome. Even in Comfort mode, it is SO MUCH tighter/nimbler than my X5 50i that has Adaptive M suspension with DHP.

I could definitely see this as my next vehicle purchase, except that it isn't available with a trailer hitch. I need a tow hitch for my hitch-mounted bike rack. So I likely will buy a Macan as my next vehicle purchase.
Macan is garbage. Tech is so outdated that it's just ridiculous. The gas mileage to actual output is horrific; the sun shade on the moon roof is translucent and let's in sun so vehicle is a sauna on sunny days; the interior is something left to be desired compared to its competitors; and we just dumped the Turbo for all these reasons....not to mention the money factor if you plan to lease; horrendous. Get a retrofit tow hitch like the other poster suggested; better value is X3MC
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #9
BradATL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i M-Sport (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Stealth hitch will make one for the X3MC as well. I know where you're coming from. I have all kinds of hitch required accessories. A hidden aftermarket hitch will soon be on the market for the F97 rest assured. Don't let the lack of that now push you to a macan if you otherwise like the X3M. My 2 cents.....
That's good to know. I will reach out to the Stealth Hitch folks. If they make one for the X3 M then that would swing the decision for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #10
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I haven't driven X3M but I test drove Macan Turbo and was NOT impressed. The air suspension and PDK are fantastic but it's honestly slow for what it should be and I agree, outdated. No better than my SQ5. The value is absolutely not there.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I haven't driven X3M but I test drove Macan Turbo and was NOT impressed. The air suspension and PDK are fantastic but it's honestly slow for what it should be and I agree, outdated. No better than my SQ5. The value is absolutely not there.
Transfer. You should drive the new x5 m 50. 523 hp v8. 4 seconds to 60. Very fast and comfortable.
You can now get it with full merino leather
It has the same tech as your m340. After that. Everything feels outdated
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #12
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Transfer. You should drive the new x5 m 50. 523 hp v8. 4 seconds to 60. Very fast and comfortable. ...
Apologies to OP as not wishing to go off-topic, but I'm having trouble finding those numbers Ilyam5? I admit to not reading the X5 Boards at all, so maybe there's some new data out there, but what I've seen indicates 456HP, 0-60mph in 4.6s?

No doubt it is a remarkable SAV in it's own right, but seems difficult to c/w the X3MC. 500+ lbs heavier, 8" longer, 3" taller, 3" wider. Will be more luxurious and a softer more comfortable ride for sure, but I'd respectfully suggest a different animal altogether from the F97.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #13
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Apologies to OP as not wishing to go off-topic, but I'm having trouble finding those numbers Ilyam5? I admit to not reading the X5 Boards at all, so maybe there's some new data out there, but what I've seen indicates 456HP, 0-60mph in 4.6s?

No doubt it is a remarkable SAV in it's own right, but seems difficult to c/w the X3MC. 500+ lbs heavier, 8" longer, 3" taller, 3" wider. Will be more luxurious and a softer more comfortable ride for sure, but I'd respectfully suggest a different animal altogether from the F97.
I know - it is hard to believe.

I have 2019 x5 50 myself with 456 HP and it is extremely fast. it is coming from driving m3s and e39 M5 for many years.
Here are some Dragy results from owners using this car.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=draGGY

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1643868

Also - new x5 M50 i s just hitting show rooms with the engine from M850. It has full 523 HP and is even faster
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1643425
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #14
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

The X5m with the S63 engine and 600-625ps must be nearly out as well - next 6 months?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #15
Np2014
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Bsm/Sb

Dissapointing there are no M town test drives in the entire state of Ohio or even a neighboring state. Damn it Bmw this state buys alot of M cars. I have a feeling alot of potential buyers will compare the X3MC to the 2020 X5 M50i. Dealerships in columbus Ohio have decided there are no X3MC test drives to even qualified potential buyers.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #16
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Np2014 View Post
Dissapointing there are no M town test drives in the entire state of Ohio or even a neighboring state. Damn it Bmw this state buys alot of M cars. I have a feeling alot of potential buyers will compare the X3MC to the 2020 X5 M50i. Dealerships in columbus Ohio have decided there are no X3MC test drives to even qualified potential buyers.
That is a bad dealer practice. In Ma - most dealers now have x4m and x3M cars ready to test drive. For known buyers they will let you go yourself without a sales person.
Inventories are great as well - usually 2-3 in each dealership on the lot.
Most just received x5 M50.
Talk to general manager, complain to BMW NA. it is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #17
Np2014
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Bsm/Sb

@llyam5 I just may complain to the general manager to see how they respond. I told the sales associate on the phone when trying to schedule a test drive I currently have an M4 and looking to replace my X5. I am a very serious buyer yet zero accommodation. It's pure stupidity for any dealership to think a buyer will buy a vehicle without a test drive even if the sales associate goes with you.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #18
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

If you bought a Porsche for it's tech, it was a big mistake. There are other things, like driving, where it really excels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
Macan is garbage. Tech is so outdated that it's just ridiculous. The gas mileage to actual output is horrific; the sun shade on the moon roof is translucent and let's in sun so vehicle is a sauna on sunny days; the interior is something left to be desired compared to its competitors; and we just dumped the Turbo for all these reasons....not to mention the money factor if you plan to lease; horrendous. Get a retrofit tow hitch like the other poster suggested; better value is X3MC
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #19
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

How would you compare handling and transmission between Macan and SQ5?
I found them to be in separate worlds, especially steering feel and handling.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #20
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
If you bought a Porsche for it's tech, it was a big mistake. There are other things, like driving, where it really excels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
Meh; it's a "fun" drive not an exciting drive; just a note I'm coming from 2017 X5M so the bar is set pretty high from my POV. The tech/comfort (even if it's a stiff suspension I can dig it) is important on a daily driver; full stop.

I'll clarify for the Porsche enthusiasts; Porsche Macan is GARBAGE for the cost vs what you get. You can have that pretty name plate and badge and suffer in all the places I named before; tech is TRASH! Interior seems cheap and outdated in comparison to X3MC interior; comfort; that sunshade is horrific; the exterior styling is quite inspiring but after that it's just "meh" overall.

No apologies. Owned an S and a Turbo for more than 6 months. Turbo interior seemed a bit more pleasant with the alcantara headliner but still falls short of the competitors interior and comfort. I'd take a non alcantara headliner for better tech and comfort in the seats and not having the sun beam in even with the stupid translucent shade closed. Won't ever purchase another overpriced over hyped Porsche again. Great Reviews be damned.

*Edit; the subwoofer and Bose sound in the Macan is actually pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #21
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
How would you compare handling and transmission between Macan and SQ5?
I found them to be in separate worlds, especially steering feel and handling.

Quote:
Steering feel, handling, and transmission are all much better than SQ5 but that's where the advantages end. Everything else goes to SQ5 IMO with looks being more subjective. Maybe the Macan Turbo was just smoother but it felt slightly slower surprisingly.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #22
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Did my test drive two days ago. Also got into an M2 Competition which was wild.

I was wholly unimpressed with the interior of the X3M. Paddles are chintzy plastic, not sure why they couldn't put the usual M style in at the very least. Leather, seats, and stitching are really not much better than the F25 with Nevada leather. It just doesn't feel as well put together but these things are going to sell like crazy so I kind of understand and expected it.

Brakes felt great, comfort was good on suspension. I'm not really a fan of digital dashes but it was sharp and clear. I had it in sport+ everywhere and would probably leave suspension there except on long drives.

X3M aside, the weird interior trim that sticks out on the window sills of all current X3's is really unattractive to me. If this car appealed to me more on the aesthetic side I would have an easier time trading into one.

I do not think it has turbo lag, the car is clearly tuned to be more civilized below 4500 RPM. Absolute rocket past 5000 though, almost lost control of the wheel Once tuners get their hands on the ECU, this thing will be ridiculous.

I was not a fan of the exhaust note, reminded me more of the old S55 than anything and was hoping for something sounding closer to the B58... M2's exhaust note was actually better but they've had time to perfect that.

I really would like to get into an M2 or Z4 M40i, but I think I'm going to keep working with my F25 for a few more years unless it makes sense financially to just drop it.
Appreciate 0