BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
rjblais
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28I; 2005 Z4 3.0;

Garage List
Question Front Seats - removing switch covers

Hi. For X3ers or anyone with the leatherette seats, you know they crack easily. I want to switch the driver and passenger seat covers around to get another few years. According to BMW parts site, the lower covers are the same, so it is just a question of pulling them off, and putting them back on.
I need help with removing the side switch covers. Even with the seats out, it is hard to see where to push the tabs from the top.
Anyone do this or have a service manual?
Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Kinda tricky to release the tabs.

Name:  X3 remove side seat controls.JPG
Views: 3359
Size:  82.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
rjblais
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28I; 2005 Z4 3.0;

Garage List
I got the covers off! Thank you pungo for the photo of where to press. The tool I used was the handle end of a regular kitchen table fork. As pungo mentioned, it was tricky, but easy enough.

I managed to swap the covers around. The longest part was un-clasping the seat cover material fasteners then putting them back on. This is because the foam part has to stay on the passenger side due to the air-bag seat sensor being glued to the foam. .

It was worth it because the driver side now looks new and should be good for five to six years. FYI, one cover is over $825 CDN from BMW.

Total job time is three to four hours from removing and replacing both seat covers and the wires from the harness connector. It is easier to work with the two foam and cover units in a workshop. Truth be told, I have a better appreciation for the effort to reupholster seats.
Just remember to disconnect the battery to avoid tripping the air-bag sensor light.

After all that, my wife still wants leather. So I am looking at getting used front benches. However, at least I can sell my new looking driver bench.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #4
Hornet_Rider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i 2011 M-Sport

Where did you get the replacement cover? Do you have the PN ?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjblais View Post
I managed to swap the covers around. The longest part was un-clasping the seat cover material fasteners then putting them back on. This is because the foam part has to stay on the passenger side due to the air-bag seat sensor being glued to the foam. .
Do you have heated seats? Did the heating element stay with the foam or did it stay with the cover? I assume the cover is held on with hog rings, do you have hog ring pliers? They make the job go much quicker.

Even though I have leather seats, the side non seating area of the bottom cover is vinyl and is starting to crack so I'd like to swap sides as well to get some more life out of the covers. I have a 2011, so 8 years of wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet_Rider View Post
Where did you get the replacement cover? Do you have the PN ?
I believe he just swapped the bottom cover from left to right and right to left. I've done this on several cars to let more longevity form the covers since there's more wear on the outer edge. This way the outer becomes the inner for both seats. I have not seen a case where to upper could be swapped.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:50 AM   #6
magpies14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3 f25 2.0 diesel

sorry to revive this thread.... but i want to ask if the process is the same for swapping a LHD front seats to a RHD front seats ? i was offered a LHD msports front seats while my existing are standard electric RHD seats.
Appreciate 0