BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #45
Jhnwlkx86
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Silly question.. Does opening the sunroof shade help? If it is tint related maybe allowing more light will help?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 06:30 AM   #46
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

I think the problem is in the manual adjuster for brightness just to the right of your headlight control switch. I imagine there is a short or some other problem in that wheel adjuster and it is randomly changing. on my car the light sensor is behind the mirror in the top center of the windshield so window tint would never affect it. now if the front windshield had ever been replaced they may have screwed up that sensor or put back in a windshield that was too dark in that area? if the windshield is factory original though i still bet it's in the adjustment wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #47
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I have this issue and I’ve had it since I took delivery of my car. I noticed it 10 minutes after the dealer drove off and I backed my car into the garage for the first time. The issue is unrelated to tint, it happens with or without. Below you can see pictures I took this morning backing into my work parking spot. I’m in FL and it’s sunny as can be when these were taken. As you can see in the pictures, when the displays dim it makes the backup camera output useless, you can’t see any detail.

First picture: operating with a flashlight shined to the left of the speedometer
Second picture: operating the way BMW intended
Attached Images

Fully Loaded

Last edited by pcmike; 08-22-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #48
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

I opened a formal compliant with BMW and am awaiting a phone call back. Clearly the issue lies with the way the ambient light sensor is programmed. Anyone else have any ideas?

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #49
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Any difference if driver's side window is down?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #50
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Any difference if driver's side window is down?
I'm sure there would be. That would let more light in, just like shining a flashlight at the sensor causes "more light in." I can't roll down my windows yet, but I'm confident it would affect it.

BMWNA called me back and wants me to goto a dealer and have the service manager see exactly what they took a bunch of notes on and see if it's something the dealer can fix in some way or if it's something the engineers need to look into.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #51
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, the service manager agreed with me. He has a 2018 540 and he has the same tint and he said he doesn't have this issue with his instrumentation. He thinks it's a pretty poor implementation. He's not sure if BMW can/will do anything, but he's going to report back to corporate. Said they may want my car back and BMW may want the tint removed off the front two windows for testing. I told him they can just grab any X3 off the lot or the assembly line with a digital dash, etc and it'll exhibit the same issue... no reason to play around with my car. He agreed. Left with him saying he'll be in contact.

Let's hope BMW agrees and comes up with a fix for this. More control over how the dimming works would be the best solution.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 4
focker155.00
shoptb176.00
      08-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #52
Tradecraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2019 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post
More control over how the dimming works would be the best solution.
Some settings with dimming seem like a no-brainer. My phone auto sets brightness, but I flick the brightness up or down depending on the situation pretty regularly.

Are we totally sure the issue you're having is across all X3's and not only 2019's or only your specific car?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #53
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradecraft View Post
Quote:
More control over how the dimming works would be the best solution.
Some settings with dimming seem like a no-brainer. My phone auto sets brightness, but I flick the brightness up or down depending on the situation pretty regularly.

Are we totally sure the issue you're having is across all X3's and not only 2019's or only your specific car?
Judging from this thread that stretches back to March (and thus 2018 MY), I'm fairly confident it affects every X3 that has a certain set of options (namely it probably has to at least include the full digital dash). You can let us know if it affects you when you take delivery. It's a pretty easy thing to replicate.

Some people may not be as sensitive to it for a number of reasons, but in Sunny South Florida where we routinely go from extremely bright to extremely dark (garages, etc) it's very easy to notice that all instrumentation/screens dim way too much and we have zero control over the lower boundary.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #54
Tradecraft
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
You can let us know if it affects you when you take delivery. It's a pretty easy thing to replicate.
Remind me next week and I'll do some tests!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #55
Np0531
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Had 3m crystalline 20 installed on the front windows last week and I definitely have the same dimming problem now. Also located in South Florida where it goes from bright and sunny to dark all the time. I have a 2018 m40i with the digital instrument cluster. I also tried the iphone flash light on the sensor trick and the brightness went back to normal immediately.
Appreciate 1
pcmike144.00
      08-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #56
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

I do not see the problem on my new M40i. No tint on my windows. Sounds like maybe they calibrated it knowing the transmission of the stock glass. I imagine this could be handled with a software fix.
Appreciate 1
pcmike144.00
      08-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #57
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I do not see the problem on my new M40i. No tint on my windows. Sounds like maybe they calibrated it knowing the transmission of the stock glass. I imagine this could be handled with a software fix.
Don't take this the wrong way, but how are you testing and do you notice the display dimming at all going from bright to dark? I'm asking because the issue was immediately apparent to me within 10mins of delivery when I backed my car in from 2pm straight sun into a completely dark garage.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #58
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Only testing I am doing is driving in a wide range of lighting conditions. I'm sure I'd notice if it got too dim, but so far it hasn't.

My expensive laptop has a hard time dealing with ambient light changes if I sit on our back patio with the sunset behind me reflecting off the water. For whatever reason, it seems like the light sensor is way too sensitive to minor light changes around sunset/dusk.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #59
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't notice the issue while driving around... if I pay attention to it closely while driving, it definitely does dim a little and get brighter here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's only when I go to back into my garage or the shaded parking spot at work that the dimming is really pronounced. I've yet to use a parking garage since I got it, but it may rear it's head in that situation too.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #60
Tradecraft
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't notice the issue while driving around... if I pay attention to it closely while driving, it definitely does dim a little and get brighter here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's only when I go to back into my garage or the shaded parking spot at work that the dimming is really pronounced. I've yet to use a parking garage since I got it, but it may rear it's head in that situation too.
Have had my X3 for less than 24 hours, but don't seem to have the too dim display issue. Just pulled into my garage. Was bright and sunny out (92 degrees), and my display probably dimmed a little bit, but still totally readable and easy to use the cameras pulling in.

Longshot question: Is it the same whether you back in or pull into your garage? Only ask cause I pull in and trying to eliminate variables.

Also, assume you tried this setting?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
pej744593.00
      08-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #61
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradecraft View Post
Quote:
Have had my X3 for less than 24 hours, but don't seem to have the too dim display issue. Just pulled into my garage. Was bright and sunny out (92 degrees), and my display probably dimmed a little bit, but still totally readable and easy to use the cameras pulling in.

Longshot question: Is it the same whether you back in or pull into your garage? Only ask cause I pull in and trying to eliminate variables.

Also, assume you tried this setting?
Yes sir, I have that setting all the way up. Also, I back in... I've never tried pulling in.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #62
thomaswolf
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Fading X3 M40i panel

Unfortunately, this is now a known problem to BMW North America.

I am in the Phoenix, Arizona area, where my dealer routinely applies dark window tint to all their vehicles!

Since discovering this "fading panel" problem in my new M40i, I noticed the same issue with all 3 loaners during service issues.

1. Had my Dealer-installed-Window Tint Removed, and discovered the Privacy Glass is plenty dark and blocks Uv well from tail gate and rear side windows. - Fading Panel with faulty Digital Cluster computer algorythm improved, but still not resolved. BMW North America says the dealer Tint is "unauthorized".

2. Installed 3M 70% film (almost clear) with minimal "tint" with great Uv protection... much better, but still have Fading problem with low-level Daytime lighting.

3. Problem goes away with iPhone-flash-light aimed at left side of Digital Cluster!

3. No issue after dark with photo sensor detecting night time, allowing activation of the dimming wheel.

4. I am on the VIN-# list for a Service Bulletin Fix, if BMW N. America ever acknowledges this!!

Send in more complaints to BMW North America!!

Tom W.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #63
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Just FYI, I have the same issue with my '17 X1 with 3M Crystalline 50% (legal in IL) on the driver and passenger side windows. When the screen dims lowering the driver side window corrects the problem. I've thought about having the tint removed but haven't decided yet.

I'm glad that I came across this thread as I'm currently considering a G01.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #64
RPS SoCal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i

I have the same problem with my 2019 X3 m40i. The map and HVAC goes dim often and is very hard to read. Has BMW got back to anyone with a fix?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:08 AM   #65
SWOT1
The Hammock Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC, X3 M40i, E93 M3

Garage List
Over 7 months since I posted this fading issue thread and still no solution or even acknowledgment from BMW... WTH?

- '20 X3MC | Alpine White | Black Alcantara/Midrand Beige | loaded | 295/265 PS4S
- '09 E93 M3 | Alpine White | Bamboo Beige Novillo | DCT | loaded | Chrome M220 Wheels - 275/255 PSS
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #66
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

I'm taking my 2019 in today to have the driver and passenger side windows tinted. Fingers crossed. The shop said they hadn't heard of the problem and they do a fair number of BMW's as well as some for the nearby dealership.

For some reason this doesn't seem like an issue BMW would get involved in - But you never know.
Appreciate 0