BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #1
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Who is using iphone as second phone only to get carplay on the screen?

Well, did more searching and sure enough BMW only supports carplay through wireless, no usb method of connecting iphone to get carplay. Which means, as others already said, BT and wireless are tied up for carplay. Hence phone carrier is needed to get the internet to the phone. Urgh... Just so happened that my i'm freeing up daughter's T-Mobile iphone SE, thought (initially) i would hold on to that iphone SE as dedicated carplay, keep it in the car. Primary phone is android (no plan to switch to iphone at the moment).

So, anyone so dead set on using carplay from a "second" phone, dedicated for this purpose?

Or, is this a stupid idea? Yeah, it is...

Prepaid is probably what i would consider, if at all...

Hrm...
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Unless there is a way to do it, you won’t be able to connect your primary phone via Bluetooth if the other phone is using CarPlay.

This is a big downside to CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I didn't have luck connecting iPhone SE to X3's CarPlay. If you have enhanced bluetooth, you afoul be able to connect 2 phones to your car. Although I don't know whether it's true, if using CarPlay.
      08-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have enhanced Bluetooth and can connect two phones....or, use CarPlay for one phone only.

If there’s a way to use CarPlay on one phone plus connect another phone I’d like to do that!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
I have enhanced Bluetooth and can connect two phones....or, use CarPlay for one phone only.

If there’s a way to use CarPlay on one phone plus connect another phone I’d like to do that!
What happens to the two phones (P1 and P2) connected over BT to the car, when one phone (say P1) is used to start wireless (wifi + BT) CarPlay?

Kicks out P2 and P2 is no longer BT'ed with the car and is no longer used to make and receive calls?
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
jimcolyer
Rep
Drives: X4 Sport 2

Why would you have two phones, just to use CarPlay ?

Unless I am being dumb, wouldn't you just have one phone, and make that the apple one ?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #7
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcolyer View Post
Why would you have two phones, just to use CarPlay ?

Unless I am being dumb, wouldn't you just have one phone, and make that the apple one ?
Yep, that i may consider just that, it's just that i've always owned android phones. Not that i'm strongly opposed to something different (for a change).

Let's see if i can cancel and swap the original order of Verizon Note10+ 5G for iphone.

Appreciate 2
      08-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
What happens to the two phones (P1 and P2) connected over BT to the car, when one phone (say P1) is used to start wireless (wifi + BT) CarPlay?

Kicks out P2 and P2 is no longer BT'ed with the car and is no longer used to make and receive calls?
Yes, the second phone is disconnected and unable to reconnect because BT is being used by CarPlay phone.

Is anyone else's experience different?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 01:35 AM   #9
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post

I can't elaborate since I don't have EHB, but CarPlay is using WiFi no? Even if BT and WiFi at the same time, the second phone should still be able to connect. From my view at least, don't now the technical specifications/limitations. If you turn off CarPlay, are you able to connect 2 phones through BT?
      08-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #10
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 LS430

Would it work if you have enhanced Bluetooth and used your Android phone hotspot to give data access to a spare iPhone with car play?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #11
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
I can't elaborate since I don't have EHB, but CarPlay is using WiFi no? Even if BT and WiFi at the same time, the second phone should still be able to connect. From my view at least, don't now the technical specifications/limitations. If you turn off CarPlay, are you able to connect 2 phones through BT?
To get the second phone to reconnect to BT I had to disconnect and forget the first phone.

It was such a p.i.t.a. to get CarPlay to work to begin with and then to re-establish that I stopped experimenting with it and leaving it for the one CarPlay phone only. If people have a solution I'd like to hear it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #12
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Okay, thanks all for the feedback's.

So, decided to also not muck with it any further, after all it's not even my daily drive (wife's daily), i just thought i could make easier for her. What i'm learning, it's not a smooth sail.

I'll ask her if she's up for swapping out her Note10+ 5G with iphone.

Thanks.

Now, allow me to get on my soapbox:

I drive "older" daily bmw's, 2003 and 2004 MY's. No fancy in-car electronics. Dinosaur stuffs. I guess back then (and perhaps still do now), BMW was more of "driving experience", less on "fussing with" in-car electronics. Certainly the level of in-car electronics "convenience" has improved drastically since 2004, but seems to me that BMW's focus on "driving" versus in-car electronics are on a different planet altogether, i.e. former is world class, whereas latter, BMW seems to lead the pack in implementation that is not so main stream fashion.
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #13
punknart
Rep
Drives: X5

Thats not silly. Ive got an Android as my primary phone (I dont like iphone) but had to buy an iPhone to use Carplay. I want to use my Android for calls and iphone carplay for navigation and music but havent been able to achieve it.

When I have Android via Bluetooth synched to receive calls and then connect the iphone to use Carplay, it automatically disconnects my Samsung from calls and only leaves music available.

Theres actually a message that pops up saying that the current phone will disconnect phone calls to let the other receive them. But this only happens with carplay. When I dont open carplay, I can use either phone for calls and the other for music. Maybe there is not support to disable calls in carplay and let the other phone receive them.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #14
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by punknart View Post
Thats not silly. Ive got an Android as my primary phone (I dont like iphone) but had to buy an iPhone to use Carplay. I want to use my Android for calls and iphone carplay for navigation and music but havent been able to achieve it.

When I have Android via Bluetooth synched to receive calls and then connect the iphone to use Carplay, it automatically disconnects my Samsung from calls and only leaves music available.

Theres actually a message that pops up saying that the current phone will disconnect phone calls to let the other receive them. But this only happens with carplay. When I dont open carplay, I can use either phone for calls and the other for music. Maybe there is not support to disable calls in carplay and let the other phone receive them.
Well, i guess i would be that second person, as act of desperation decided to pay +$5/mo for the plan (Verizon's Start Unlimited plan, lowest cost and adding this 4th line is $5/mo additional), and get the iphone 7 free (Verizon was running this phone as free promo).

I guess i'm little excited to try this what everyone calls CarPlay, tomorrow.

But then again, i guess mine with ID6, i missed by one generation to get the (finally) the Android Auto on ID7...
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #15
Ravenous666
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 & 2024 BMW X3

I have a 2020 model with iDrive 7 and tested today.

My primary phone is a Samsung Galaxy S9+ running Android 9. Secondary Phone is an iPhone 8 with iOS 13.3.

Both are paired and are shown to be connected to the car.

While Carplay was active i initiated a call from my Android phone. The carplay app stopped, iPhone got disconnected and the call was shown on the normal iDrive screen.

After the call on the Android phone ended, the iPhone reconnected again and the Carplay screen activated automatically.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:20 AM   #16
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous666 View Post
I have a 2020 model with iDrive 7 and tested today.

My primary phone is a Samsung Galaxy S9+ running Android 9. Secondary Phone is an iPhone 8 with iOS 13.3.

Both are paired and are shown to be connected to the car.

While Carplay was active i initiated a call from my Android phone. The carplay app stopped, iPhone got disconnected and the call was shown on the normal iDrive screen.

After the call on the Android phone ended, the iPhone reconnected again and the Carplay screen activated automatically.
Thanks, that's good to know, descent seamless transitions.

I had to take the x3 back to dealership today to go back for round 2 of ambient light strip repairs, fix and didn't get to play with carplay this morning.

Still, looking forward to getting my hands on with carplay, ... whenever that maybe...
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2020, 01:49 AM   #17
Ravenous666
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 & 2024 BMW X3

Make sure you have the latest 11-19 update for the iDrive 7 installed by the dealer. Otherwise there are some intermittent problems with pairing phones and carplay.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:08 AM   #18
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous666 View Post
Make sure you have the latest 11-19 update for the iDrive 7 installed by the dealer. Otherwise there are some intermittent problems with pairing phones and carplay.
NO.................. i have ID6... 2019 MY.
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #19
kybh
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupé

I'm using my main Android phone for calls only and an old iPhone 6S for CarPlay in my 2015 435i w/ enhanced Bluetooth and retrofitted NBT Evo (i.e. ID6).
Both devices are connected at the same time, I'm able to make and receive calls on my Android phone through iDrive, while using CarPlay to play music (Spotify).

All you need to do is mark the Android phone as an "Additonal telephone" in the "Manage mobile devices" iDrive settings menu.
This will reduce it to basic phone functionality, i.e. you will only be able to use it for calls (and texts, I suppose). If you want to use it for Bluetooth audio, the active CarPlay connection would still have to be disconnected first.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #20
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybh View Post
I'm using my main Android phone for calls only and an old iPhone 6S for CarPlay in my 2015 435i w/ enhanced Bluetooth and retrofitted NBT Evo (i.e. ID6).
Both devices are connected at the same time, I'm able to make and receive calls on my Android phone through iDrive, while using CarPlay to play music (Spotify).

All you need to do is mark the Android phone as an "Additonal telephone" in the "Manage mobile devices" iDrive settings menu.
This will reduce it to basic phone functionality, i.e. you will only be able to use it for calls (and texts, I suppose). If you want to use it for Bluetooth audio, the active CarPlay connection would still have to be disconnected first.
This is how I have it in my G01. I use my work phone, Iphone, for Carplay and my personal Android phone as a secondary phone. Both phones work simultaneously and I can receive calls and messages on both.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #21
texascfo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i Xdrive

Exclamation Carplay MMI and phone BT

I have a carplay MMI and working great except one item.

When MMI was installed, I deleted all of my IPhone BT connections and set up in carplay. Works great. However, the steering wheel phone button does not work.

I tried to set up my IPhone in IDrive again but it still does not work.

Does this mean I cannot use the steering wheel phone button while I am in Carplay?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 11:32 PM   #22
AychShake
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybh View Post

Do you have a data only sim that you're using for your iphone to play spotify? Or are you perhaps using hot spot from your android. I'm trying to do the latter but can't get it to work.
Appreciate 0