BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
DG1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 30d

Stuck cupholder cover

Anyone managed to jam the sliding front cupholder cover?Only had the X3 for a week and for whatever reason decided to close the cover. There was definitely no cups or anything else in there at the time but now it won't open. Hoping this is isn't something that has to be a dealer fix!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 2.0D X Line G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1 View Post
Anyone managed to jam the sliding front cupholder cover?Only had the X3 for a week and for whatever reason decided to close the cover. There was definitely no cups or anything else in there at the time but now it won't open. Hoping this is isn't something that has to be a dealer fix!!
Yes DG1, I too have that problem, from new in November, took it back to dealers as I had a hell of a job to open it, forced it in the end, dealer said they fixed it bu I still have the problem so now I just leave it ajar and hope I do not forget, will take it in again when things get back to normal
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

Mine stuck once, was almost closed. Really annoying.

Seem to recall pushing down on the raised bit while using a plastic trim tool to lever it, while keeping it all flat.
Tend to leave it open now.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 05:50 AM   #4
DG1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 30d

Thanks Mediaman, did exactly as you did with a plastic trim tool and suddenly it opened! Lesson Learned
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

It’s a very poor, tacky design. The demo car I tried jammed and my car is sticky. Best not to close it.
      07-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #6
smanji
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Alpine White

Garage List
If you guys are comfortable with a pry tool you can release the center console trim to see what might causing the blockage, start from point closest to arm rest and work towards front of console. There is 3 wire harnesses that need to be disconnected before you can completely remove the console, it pops back in with a little force. I did mine to wrap the gloss black sections, i would check the rails for any obstructions
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 07:33 AM   #7
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by smanji View Post
If you guys are comfortable with a pry tool you can release the center console trim to see what might causing the blockage, start from point closest to arm rest and work towards front of console. There is 3 wire harnesses that need to be disconnected before you can completely remove the console, it pops back in with a little force. I did mine to wrap the gloss black sections, i would check the rails for any obstructions
That looks great! Please post a pic back installed.

I want to wrap the gloss black on my X3MC as well. I'll likely do clear though just to protect it.

I've seen online vids where people wrapped interior car parts in place. I'd imagine it is easier when out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
smanji
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Quote:
That looks great! Please post a pic back installed.

I want to wrap the gloss black on my X3MC as well. I'll likely do clear though just to protect it.

I've seen online vids where people wrapped interior car parts in place. I'd imagine it is easier when out of the car.
This piece is quite tricky due to some of the contours, initially I did try with it in the car but it would have been impossible to get a satisfactory result. The key is knowing where to put tension to stop it from peeling back, it was my first ever attempt at anything this complex but im pleased with the result minus a few imperfections.

I can see much frustration if going with clear film, any small imperfections/dust/scratches will be very apparent on the film. I would suggest gloss black vinyl..maybe 3m 2080 series.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
This piece is quite tricky due to some of the contours, initially I did try with it in the car but it would have been impossible to get a satisfactory result. The key is knowing where to put tension to stop it from peeling back, it was my first ever attempt at anything this complex but im pleased with the result minus a few imperfections.

I can see much frustration if going with clear film, any small imperfections/dust/scratches will be very apparent on the film. I would suggest gloss black vinyl..maybe 3m 2080 series.
Wow looks great!

Good idea on the black.
Appreciate 0