BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-25-2023, 10:17 PM   #309
X4MComp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

I'm really confused with this thread, I thought we all bought these BMW M vehicles because they are a driver car handling corners beyond the competition. Bmw M are world renown for being a driver's car ! Bmw doesn't get that without engineering a tremendous vehicle sped to win our hearts, that includes rim and tire sizes. Instead we are saying changing what top engineers have specd in tires to a wide wire is a good mod ? Maybe looks I'll give you that. I stand with the previous posts on ppl who understand tires and actual driving of the vehicle it changes the whole dynamic. We should be recommending compounds and tire manufacturer instead of messing with engineering.
Appreciate 1
mtl8852.00
      01-25-2023, 11:05 PM   #310
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4MComp View Post
I'm really confused with this thread, I thought we all bought these BMW M vehicles because they are a driver car handling corners beyond the competition. Bmw M are world renown for being a driver's car ! Bmw doesn't get that without engineering a tremendous vehicle sped to win our hearts, that includes rim and tire sizes. Instead we are saying changing what top engineers have specd in tires to a wide wire is a good mod ? Maybe looks I'll give you that. I stand with the previous posts on ppl who understand tires and actual driving of the vehicle it changes the whole dynamic. We should be recommending compounds and tire manufacturer instead of messing with engineering.
Yeah, m engineering is great and all. That doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. Most already pursue the better tire manufacturer and summer compound. Changing up tires sizes vs. stock is nothing new and at the end of the the day it's an SUV. No one here is throwing racing compound tires on 21" wheels vs a 300 rated summer tire most are running, unless they are pursuing a full drag pack.
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2023, 02:20 AM   #311
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
This is true, you can't mess with German engineering. Especially when it comes to a well designed M vehicles. But putting a little extra rubber on a street driven car never hurt anyone. A wider contact patch also helps put more rubber on the road. When you do the math correctly & make sure to do your homework you'll see the X3 M40i was given wider rubber (from the factory) then our S-58 were. So, have you ever asked yourself why... ? Does this tire combo effect the handling at the limits, sure it does. Any modification & change performed on a car is going to affect things a touch. But am I making this F97 SAV a worse performing vehicle, absolutely not.

Wish we could get a Michelin engineer + M engineer in this thread to help provide some more clarity & insight for those that doubt this simple is an improvement.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2023, 05:57 AM   #312
X4MComp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
This is true, you can't mess with German engineering. Especially when it comes to a well designed M vehicles. But putting a little extra rubber on a street driven car never hurt anyone. A wider contact patch also helps put more rubber on the road. When you do the math correctly & make sure to do your homework you'll see the X3 M40i was given wider rubber (from the factory) then our S-58 were. So, have you ever asked yourself why... ? Does this tire combo effect the handling at the limits, sure it does. Any modification & change performed on a car is going to affect things a touch. But am I making this F97 SAV a worse performing vehicle, absolutely not.

Wish we could get a Michelin engineer + M engineer in this thread to help provide some more clarity & insight for those that doubt this simple is an improvement.
Ya u understand what your saying and your right you probably won't track these SAVs and sure u will look nicer with a wider tire and ya more contact path for a quarter mile launch, but as already told throughout this thread by a tire engineer it is not an improvement to the car. That's all I'm saying is that everyone has it wrong it's not improving the drive of the car as designed, it's changing the look and launch. I'm not trying to be rude but it's just people are misleading other members who don't know because people are using the words improvement. When this is just a mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 11:41 AM   #313
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Correct... a major component of the massive rears on those cars is wear around a track as those are track cars... why would bmw not throw on 295 rears? what would be their hesistancy? A tesla model s plaid w over 1000 hp and an absurd tq curve has 285 rears lol.
money. wider tires cost more. there are quite a few compromises with the F97 that BMW intentionally left off the table (front brakes, exterior design, interior materials, etc.) because of cost vs benefit.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 12:54 AM   #314
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya u understand what your saying and your right you probably won't track these SAVs and sure u will look nicer with a wider tire and ya more contact path for a quarter mile launch, but as already told throughout this thread by a tire engineer it is not an improvement to the car. That's all I'm saying is that everyone has it wrong it's not improving the drive of the car as designed, it's changing the look and launch. I'm not trying to be rude but it's just people are misleading other members who don't know because people are using the words improvement. When this is just a mod.
Okay, now I see what you're saying. So hold on a minute here. I never this tire combo would not be an improvement at the track too. If that were the case, why does Porsche & Mercedes use this exact same tire size combo on their highest performing SUV's... ?

If you really think this tire upgrade is "just a modification" for straight line performance ^^^ as you mentioned above, think again. Not going to beat a dead horse, but talk to a Porsche or Mercedes engineer if you think this mod will make our F97's perform worse at the track. Then come back & tell us what you've found out / learned from that conversation!

Appreciate 1
      01-27-2023, 01:24 AM   #315
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Technically your suggestion of changing compounds or manufacturers will effect what was engineered as well, including the characteristics of the car. There are many reasons why a tire size and manufacturer are chosen by those engineers and it is not always because they were the best. On the F80 M3 they engineered around the Michelins and the. quickly switched to continentals when Michelin couldn’t make enough tires. Didn’t think twice about it. They chose carbon fiber driveshaft and then bam when to steel which clearly was due to costs.

Yes the characteristics will change but it could be for the better (just like changing manufacturer or compound) or so negligible that living with a better looking setup is considered an upgrade.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2023, 09:29 PM   #316
X4MComp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Okay, now I see what you're saying. So hold on a minute here. I never this tire combo would not be an improvement at the track too. If that were the case, why does Porsche & Mercedes use this exact same tire size combo on their highest performing SUV's... ?

If you really think this tire upgrade is "just a modification" for straight line performance ^^^ as you mentioned above, think again. Not going to beat a dead horse, but talk to a Porsche or Mercedes engineer if you think this mod will make our F97's perform worse at the track. Then come back & tell us what you've found out / learned from that conversation!

Well first of all you can't say because a different vehicle make model, drivetrain, arrow dynamics and so forth are all the same your not comparing the same thing your stating a different car with different specs. BMW has engineered this drivetrain and vehicle to handle corners straight light and so forth with these tires widths changing that changes the game.

And yes compounds will change the drive as well I do agree I ride track on a motorcycle I understand the true importance of compound. But too much compound and too much sticky can also put stress on the drivetrain. I'm not here saying don't do this mod just trying to inform people here looking to get tires that it's more of a mod then an improvement.
Appreciate 1
JensM68.00
      01-28-2023, 12:27 AM   #317
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well first of all you can't say because a different vehicle make model, drivetrain, arrow dynamics and so forth are all the same your not comparing the same thing your stating a different car with different specs. BMW has engineered this drivetrain and vehicle to handle corners straight light and so forth with these tires widths changing that changes the game.

And yes compounds will change the drive as well I do agree I ride track on a motorcycle I understand the true importance of compound. But too much compound and too much sticky can also put stress on the drivetrain. I'm not here saying don't do this mod just trying to inform people here looking to get tires that it's more of a mod then an improvement.
While I do understand some of your logic outlined here, I certainly don't agree with all of it or a lot of it. Glad you explained some of your reasoning though. And lets not compare a 2 wheeled motorcycle to a 4,600 lb SUV with 4 tires on each corner.

Who said this tire combo will make your car perform worse at the track (I sure didn't)... ? Just because this isn't the same tire size the engineers put on the production car doesn't mean the existing platform can't improved upon. And who said that a modification is just a mod & not an improvement (again, I sure didn't)... ?

Again, these are your words & not mine. I'm the person who originally created this thread (if you haven't already noticed). I've owned 4 X3 MC's in the the past 3 years. So although I didn't build & engineer this awesome machine, I may know quite a bit more then your average owners does or ever will. And lets put it this way, if this made subtle change (you seem to say & think) make the car perform worse the car perform worse on the track, I surely wouldn't have installed in on my slightly modifies X3 MC to begin with.

Appreciate 1
95wildtt853.00
      01-29-2023, 08:59 PM   #318
MrGraff
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Here is the 295 rears and 265 fronts. Pirelli Scorpion zero all seasons. No spacers! Drives much better than stock!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-30-2023, 06:24 AM   #319
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGraff View Post
Here is the 295 rears and 265 fronts. Pirelli Scorpion zero all seasons. No spacers! Drives much better than stock!
265/40/21 and 295/35/21? Looks good!
      01-30-2023, 04:05 PM   #320
MrGraff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
265/40/21 and 295/35/21? Looks good!
yes it does... glad i found this thread!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 06:24 PM   #321
cutnsew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGraff View Post
yes it does... glad i found this thread!
just ordered mine tonight. Costco has the michellin 295 BMW star spec, 265 Mercedes benz spec, for lowest prices I've seen installed and with road hazard warranty. Annnd a $150 rebate when buying 4 tires (tomorrow is the last day for that $150 rebate)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 03:20 AM   #322
fatalius
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnsew View Post
just ordered mine tonight. Costco has the michellin 295 BMW star spec, 265 Mercedes benz spec, for lowest prices I've seen installed and with road hazard warranty. Annnd a $150 rebate when buying 4 tires (tomorrow is the last day for that $150 rebate)
I would not mix BMW spec with Mercedes spec P4Ss. They are kinda different tyres
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 07:41 AM   #323
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

Just joined the 295 club. Stayed 255/40/21 on the front because 265 wasn't in stock. 295/35/21 looks great in the back. I went with Pilot Sport all seasons.
      02-05-2023, 10:13 AM   #324
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalius View Post
I would not mix BMW spec with Mercedes spec P4Ss. They are kinda different tyres
No difference when you look at the specs between the 2.
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2129.50
      02-05-2023, 04:35 PM   #325
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
No difference when you look at the specs between the 2.
I read somewhere that the compound is different and the tires are a different shade of black. The Merc tires are made in France and the BMW are not.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:08 PM   #326
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot09 View Post
I read somewhere that the compound is different and the tires are a different shade of black. The Merc tires are made in France and the BMW are not.
It's possible on shade of black. I went with merc spec on both front and rear due to the delays for the bmw spec and they feel great. Better lettering stripes
on sidewall was a plus. That's another thing that could be different bmw vs merc when mixing them though.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:34 PM   #327
NLYFANSX3M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I love this combo!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 10:03 AM   #328
cutnsew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot09 View Post
Well… I’ll find out this Saturday and post a pic, lol! And Costco didn’t have any 265 BMW spec. So I had to either stick with the 255s up front or go with the Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 12:14 PM   #329
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalius View Post
a 265/40 MO would be a better fit for the F97 as oppose to the star spec as it's designed to be the front tire for the GLC63 AMG, as oppose to the Start spec which is strictly used as the rear tire for the F97 platform. that being said, the mismatch sidewall would be an aesthetic issue.

edit: correction, it should be MO1 for the X3M, not MO. my mistake.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE

Last edited by danniexi; 02-09-2023 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2023, 09:12 PM   #330
MrGraff
Rep

I have noticed a couple of things, when using cruise control it seems like the vehicle is pulsing acceleration wise. Seems like the ride is more dampened overall, definitely feels more planted but wind or cars passing still pull my x3 around a bit. My previous experience with an X3 was an M40i, and I dont recall it ever getting pulled around in wind or by passing cars. Anyone got input on this?

Dealer made a recommendation of getting the car realigned after the new wider tires were installed, said otherwise it would make the tires wear incorrectly.
Appreciate 0