BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
kocsis
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3Mcomp

Comparing X3M to Tesla Y - apples and oranges

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I recently test drove (quite extensively) each of the 2020 X3M, X3M40i and the Tesla Y Performance. Amazing contrast. The Tesla is essentially an appliance that ferries its occupants from to their destinations. There is no engagement with the "driver" - no aural feedback (i.e. engine noise) or tactile feedback (i.e. pedal feel) to acceleration; completely different feel to breaking (once you let up your foot, the vehicle slows and almost stops); entire cabin feels detached. The sole display in the cabin is the center 15" screen - by not having dials and controls, there is a complete detachment of the car's performance from the driver. Due to the low center of gravity because of the battery array, the agility of the X3 is completely absent. While the "superior" acceleration of the Tesla is touted, there is no sense of exhilaration during acceleration.
This is, I believe, intentional on the part of Tesla - consistent with the auto-driving aspects of the car, which are being continually refined. Nothing wrong with the car - I suspect most people drive because they have to get to places, not because they enjoy the experience. But any comparison from the standpoint of driving enthusiasts is completely misplaced.
Appreciate 2
kzg19691299.00
AlexFL7834.00
      02-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #2
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocsis View Post
There is no engagement with the "driver" - no aural feedback (i.e. engine noise) or tactile feedback (i.e. pedal feel) to acceleration; completely different feel to breaking (once you let up your foot, the vehicle slows and almost stops); entire cabin feels detached.
True dat
      02-04-2021, 12:23 AM   #3
RHILE_MAB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CURRENT: 20 F97, 24 iX50 & M60

I have both, a '20 Comp and a '20 MYP. It's funny, people think they're essentially the same car, (similar size and performance), but you're right in that they're very different.

The Y is more cushy and MUCH larger inside, with tons of legroom in front and back as well as a larger trunk floor area. It's great for moving the family around in spaciousness, but good god is it noisy. I won't take lengthy trips in it on the highway. My Comp, with all of its roaring and burbles and glorious sounds, doesn't induce a headache like the Y. My M3P wasn't nearly as loud, and my MXP was a vault (and a lemon).

The Comp is far more fun and garners a lot more attention - they're beautiful cars inside and out - and even though my Y was $61k, my Comp was cut from $84k down to $68 and change. It just feels like a ton more bang for the buck.

The M3P was fantastic, though. I miss the feel of that car every time I get in the Y as they are very, very different, but its low entry and exit and "the dog doesnt go there" trunk forced the change.

I've actually found that nearly no one cross shops these two cars - you're probably the 3rd or 4th I've ever heard mention them as comparisons - and the others only mentioned them when they see ours parked next to each other. That speaks volumes about the brands themselves, let alone these two specific models.

I love EVs, but they're the angel on the left shoulder. The Comp...right shoulder.

PAST: 2016 F85 X5M "Beast"

Previous Forum ID: M3_e36CA
Appreciate 5
kzg19691299.00
AlexFL7834.00
sd306380.50
      02-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Nice reviews here. I’m considering a new model s long range with the refresh for our second car when our lease is up on a Lexus rx350 this fall. I’m waiting to see how the roll out goes and also see if I can get a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

I drove a Model S in 2014, and wasn't blown away. The instant torque got old fast without any attendant drama (noise, feel, etc.). Beyond that, it was an iPhone with wheels, so I passed. I had a test drive for a new Model S scheduled this week that I had to cancel because of snow, but it's mainly so I can say that I did, and gave it a shot. Unlikely I will get one, because again, not enough soul. Very cool car though.

I wouldn't touch a M3 or MY if you paid me. They will eventually get their quality control improved, but they aren't there yet. There's a lot to be desired if you just need simple transportation and don't want to take a bus or Lyft/Uber, but I don't have time to be daily driving a car 12-15k miles/year and worrying if my roof will rip off, the radio knob will fall off, or if my battery pack will leak and catch fire. None of this is likely to happen over a 3 year lease, but just having it there in the back of my mind every time I drive just isn't worth it.

Neat cars though!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

M3P is a hoot until you get bored with it. I presumed Model Y perf would be similar to the M3P but not as good so didn't bother with it. Sounds like I made the right choice. BMWs are just nicer cars to be sure but for the tech fans, zero emissions fans, and the prius crowd, Teslas are excellent options.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #7
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I can appreciate the engineering that goes into a Tesla but they are not performance cars. That's not a knock on them, it's just the reality, regardless of how good the specs and lap times look. Not only that, but they aren't bought by enthusiast drivers by and large.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #8
justmill
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3MC

No HUD on Tesla's is a critical flaw for such a techy car. I don't think I will own another car without one.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7834.00
      02-04-2021, 11:14 PM   #9
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I am attracted to the Tesla as our daily driver, around town, driving downtown in stop and go traffic, etc. save on gas, auto driving while in downtown highway traffic all sounds pretty exciting.

I will still have my X3MC for fun more spirited long road trips.

One electric and one ICE car seems like the perfect combo right now
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #10
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

Interesting...I am looking at a PHEV to replace my BMW 640 GT in a year or two. I am looking at the Toyota Rav4 Prime, BMW X5e and the Tesla Y. I recently got a 2020 Toyota Prius Prime and actually love it for errands around town as it gets 30 miles of range and its surprisingly fun to drive. It is really peppy at low speeds. The X3e doesn't have enough range and I wish the BMW X5e had more for such a big heavy expensive car. The electric Tesla Y is still in the mix but the ride is harsh and the quality issues bother me. My BMW 640 GT is on 18" non runflats with air suspension and is a really smooth luxurious car. I think in a year there will be alot more choices. BMW has to increase its range in BHEV's to be competitive. Right now Toyotas range is at least twice as much. Also electric cars will probably have a bigger tax savings. Lastly another car I am waiting for is the Rivian SUV which could be a contender. Audi has a new e-tron too. Lots of great new cars to see.

Last edited by Machinebuilder; 02-23-2021 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0