BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-13-2024, 04:40 PM   #1
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40 2019

X3/X4 M40 engine brace kit

Hey everyone,

Introduction:
I wanted to share an exciting project I've been working on for the X3/X4M40 community. This is just the start, many more projects to come!

Goal:
My primary goal with this project is to offer an engine brace kit that doesn’t require any retrofitting and uses the stock mounting locations while offering a bit of pop to the engine bay.

Design Phase

After about 30 revisions and 3 separate designs with the opinions of many shops, Rottweiler and Burr001 I have finally decided on a design that works without the need to retrofit any parts and it looks good! The design uses all the stock bracing mounting points and will come with upgraded bolts.

Current phase: Prototype Testing:
Now that the design phase is complete I'll be moving on to the prototyping phase. This will involve 3D printing prototypes to test the fitment and looks of the design in the engine bay. This step is crucial to ensure that the final product meets the highest standards of quality and precision.

I just got my 3D printer this weekend and will start printing the parts this week. Will post pictures as they come along.

Community Involvement:
I'm genuinely excited about this project and eager to involve the community every step of the way. Your feedback and suggestions are invaluable, so please don't hesitate to share your thoughts.

Closing:
Stay tuned for further updates as this project progresses! I'll be sharing more details, including photos and videos, as we move through the various stages of development.
Once I get closer to production I will be adding the price!

Looking forward to your continued support and involvement,

Ashtonpjt
Attached Images

Burr0013377.00
speedsnice1209.00
Keefy1654.00
BigMart114.50
TXGrey1306.50
GOGOII37.50
      05-13-2024, 04:49 PM   #2
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Awesome. Are you planning to mill flat/bar stock? I know a lot of "cheaper" braces end up being flattened tube stock that is crimped at the ends and drilled for attachment points.

In terms or bracing for rigidity, I'm curious about why y'all decided to go with elongated mounting holes versus more precision mount points. Is there some degree of adjustability that one could glean from a half inch of mounting point slide?
AshtonPJT358.50
      05-13-2024, 04:54 PM   #3
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
Awesome. Are you planning to mill flat/bar stock? I know a lot of "cheaper" braces end up being flattened tube stock that is crimped at the ends and drilled for attachment points.

In terms or bracing for rigidity, I'm curious about why y'all decided to go with elongated mounting holes versus more precision mount points. Is there some degree of adjustability that one could glean from a half inch of mounting point slide?
So the part will be made of billet 6061-t6 aluminum so very strong and ridged. The main reason for the elongated mounting hole is to allow a little bit of play when installing as a precision hole would only allow 1mm of play which can end up with a pita install. Once everything is torqued down it doesn’t really affect anything.
      05-15-2024, 10:28 PM   #4
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep

3d printing phase has started! Will update with pictures as parts are finished
Attached Images

speedsnice1209.00
Keefy1654.00
abbike18717.50
      05-17-2024, 07:20 AM   #5
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

You want a cross brace to spread the load over more than one strut tower screw. Most I've seen usually span over 2 screws minimum, most have a circular mount that screws into all the strut bolts to properly distribute the load.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 07:29 AM   #6
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The side struts can function with just a single bolt on each end but the primary strut base that goes between the struts needs to bolt down to at least 2 of the strut bolts, preferably have a ring that bolts across the entire strut top using all the bolts to distribute the load evenly across the strut.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 08:28 AM   #7
deviation01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40I

Looks intriguing.

I am very in intrigued by this strut plate. It looks to take over the engine bay but it may provide good rigidity as it spans across.

https://www.blackhawkjapan.com/products/cpm-csrp-b401

With that said can you make the strut instead of 3 parts one piece?

I guess for profitability you can sell the sides and the "main" bar separate but I think it removes some of the rigidity.

Leem40i has some very good points.

AshtonPJT where in Florida are you in case you need another X3 to test fit
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 08:55 AM   #8
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
You want a cross brace to spread the load over more than one strut tower screw. Most I've seen usually span over 2 screws minimum, most have a circular mount that screws into all the strut bolts to properly distribute the load.
Do you think it would be better to add more rigidity to the brace by adding more bars and still use the 4 stock location mounts or come up with a design using the strut mounts like the X3M brace does? Only issue i can think of with the X3M mount style is the need to retrofit some trim pieces or having to cut them. I can do either way!

Other option would be I could use the Side cross braces then add a bar across the front of the engine bay. Then create a bracket to use the strut mounts
      05-17-2024, 08:59 AM   #9
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviation01 View Post
Looks intriguing.

I am very in intrigued by this strut plate. It looks to take over the engine bay but it may provide good rigidity as it spans across.

https://www.blackhawkjapan.com/products/cpm-csrp-b401

With that said can you make the strut instead of 3 parts one piece?

I guess for profitability you can sell the sides and the "main" bar separate but I think it removes some of the rigidity.

Leem40i has some very good points.

AshtonPJT where in Florida are you in case you need another X3 to test fit
I could defiantly make it one piece, Ill have to check the pricing to see the deference or do you think the design I posted in the comment above would be better? Im in the Panama City Beach area if thats close. Do you have a Prelci or LCI. I do have another product I will need someone to test after I do my first round of testing!!!
      05-17-2024, 09:17 AM   #10
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Sub’d
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 09:40 AM   #11
deviation01
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonPJT View Post
I could defiantly make it one piece, Ill have to check the pricing to see the deference or do you think the design I posted in the comment above would be better? Im in the Panama City Beach area if thats close. Do you have a Prelci or LCI. I do have another product I will need someone to test after I do my first round of testing!!!
Honestly its just personal preference as I am no engineer but the less "cuts" you introduce to a brace the more rigid it may be and the more points it bolts on the better. I can totally see space for both types in the market for sure. If people want to keep their side "rods" OEM and just add a middle connecting brace it can be another option.

I have LCI. You are way in the North while I am all the way down south by Miami.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 09:52 AM   #12
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep

Quote:
Honestly its just personal preference as I am no engineer but the less "cuts" you introduce to a brace the more rigid it may be and the more points it bolts on the better. I can totally see space for both types in the market for sure. If people want to keep their side "rods" OEM and just add a middle connecting brace it can be another option.

I have LCI. You are way in the North while I am all the way down south by Miami.
Yeah honestly I feel the same way. I can see how having multiple bolts for the strut mount would be good but at the same time this will be billet aluminum not crappy sheet metal like most other options, I think they’re would be marginal gains moving the mount to the top strut mounts. Take for instance Rottweiler first strut brace it simple just clamped on to the cross brace. Using actual mounting holes even just 2 is still majorly different.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind changing my design that’s the whole point of this project is to come up with something easy to install and looks good while adding rigidity to the chassis.

The cost will definitely be more once we switch to strut tower mounts. Right now with the design above the price is cheaper than buying the x3m retrofit and upgraded cross braces.
      05-17-2024, 12:58 PM   #13
deviation01
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah honestly I feel the same way. I can see how having multiple bolts for the strut mount would be good but at the same time this will be billet aluminum not crappy sheet metal like most other options, I think they’re would be marginal gains moving the mount to the top strut mounts. Take for instance Rottweiler first strut brace it simple just clamped on to the cross brace. Using actual mounting holes even just 2 is still majorly different.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind changing my design that’s the whole point of this project is to come up with something easy to install and looks good while adding rigidity to the chassis.

The cost will definitely be more once we switch to strut tower mounts. Right now with the design above the price is cheaper than buying the x3m retrofit and upgraded cross braces.
Makes total sense. Your design is better than majority of stuff you find out there anyway. The cheap Ali express one even bends in the middle

Last edited by deviation01; 05-17-2024 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
AshtonPJT358.50
      05-17-2024, 01:07 PM   #14
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep

Quote:
Makes total sense. You design is better than majority of stuff you find out there anywa. The cheap Ali express one even bends in the middle
Yeah so we know when mounting on the stock back mounts that it provides flex can be corrected with a brace. Those mounts are also reinforced by the strut tower so their not weak by any means.
The brace will also be made from billet 6061-t6 aluminum so plenty strong and won’t flex and bend like the cheap sheet metal options from Ali. I think the current design will provide plenty of rigidity while being easy to install without the need to take apart half the engine bay, 5 minute install max!
      05-17-2024, 04:30 PM   #15
deviation01
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah so we know when mounting on the stock back mounts that it provides flex can be corrected with a brace. Those mounts are also reinforced by the strut tower so their not weak by any means.
The brace will also be made from billet 6061-t6 aluminum so plenty strong and won’t flex and bend like the cheap sheet metal options from Ali. I think the current design will provide plenty of rigidity while being easy to install without the need to take apart half the engine bay, 5 minute install max!
Still too slow. We need 1:30m install tops

Apart from jokes the final product will be nice
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 04:32 PM   #16
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep

Quote:
Still too slow. We need 1:30m install tops

Apart from jokes the final product will be nice
😂😂😂 start a competition who ever installs the fastest gets $100 back or 25% off another product
      05-17-2024, 05:31 PM   #17
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [6.83]
Quote:
Take for instance Rottweiler first strut brace it simply just clamped on to the cross braces...
Fwiw, I’m gonna post this in the classifieds now for the price of the shipping tube and shipping cost

You can pm me if interested
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 04:24 PM   #18
deviation01
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
😂😂😂 start a competition who ever installs the fastest gets $100 back or 25% off another product
You have nice steep discounts I may buy from you

I was thinking whoever wins they get a 6 pack.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 04:51 PM   #19
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep

Quote:
You have nice steep discounts I may buy from you

I was thinking whoever wins they get a 6 pack.
6 pack would definitely be better on the wallet😂😂
      Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #20
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep

Finally got everything 3d printed and test fitted! Install was all of about a minute.
Attached Images

Keefy1654.00
      Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #21
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
Any reason why this wouldn’t fit the 30i?

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:22 PM   #22
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
Any reason why this wouldn’t fit the 30i?
It most likely would just don’t have one to test fit the design on