BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

F25 X3 Feedback

OK, here is some feedback after week. Hope some of it's useful!

Love the following:

- Sunroof - makes such a difference to the light inside the car. Really missed not having one on my last car

- Google search combined with SatNav. Search for curry house, get list with distance, choose one, call to book a table, click flag for destination, off you go

- The fact that all of these appear in the dash: Nav directions with graphics showing direction and 1 mile to roundabout etc - very useful, last dialled numbers, radio stations and track names - all great design

- Cruise control setting – green marker (so cool) appearing next to selected speed and set speed appearing in dash

- Favourite buttons that you can use for DAB stations, calling home etc

- Voice commands seem to work quite well for addresses etc. I was expecting more mistakes

- Tyre pressure monitor - and graphics!

- Angel eyes - really enjoyed seeing the 4 rings of my daytime running lights reflecting off the back of the car in front of me at the traffic lights!

- Auto dimming mirrors very useful. Folding mirrors that close when you hold the lock button also very useful. I use this is a lot.

- The fact that start stop can be controlled dynamically by how hard you press the brake pedal. I may ultimately switch it off but not for now.

Suspension

I have the dynamic package with sports suspension and 19” alloys and think the ride is pretty smooth. It’s relatively firm but I like it and I’m really glad I went for it.

Responsiveness

Plenty fast enough for me but my GTI days are now behind me . Auto seems to always get it right (much better than Audis I have driven which seem slow to react sometimes) - not had any moments where I’m left waiting for it to accelerate - yet!

Servotronic

I love the steering!! I like the fact it’s so effortless at low speeds and I think it works well cornering at higher speeds. Not had any issues with it all. Again, pleased I didn’t go for VDC or variable sports steering as I don’t think I need it at all

Stereo

I think I'm glad I went for business rather that forking out for pro. Good quality and quite impressed with it. OK, it's only 200W and I had 600W on my last car but it's good enough quality for me. If I didn't have such a big option bill and was choosing again I might consider pro

OK, that's all good and now a couple of bad.....

Offset pedals / seat position

I’m finding the pedal position a little bit uncomfortable. I seem to keep ending up with my right foot at 45 degrees and wanting to shift my heel. Also my legs are too long for the foot rest on the left so I keep my left foot in between the brake pedal and the rest. I may get used to this and it might have something to do with the shorter height between the chair and the floor where my feet are. I tried making the seat higher but then I can’t see the top of the dash! I'm a bit annoyed I can't put the steering wheel any higher than the max height (my GTI allowed it to be higher). At the moment, I’m shuffling around a lot trying to get comfortable. Hopefully I’ll find a winning position eventually. It's still early.

Fuel consumption

Eeek. Only 35 mpg over 400 miles and half of that was on the motorway and not doing much more than 80 mph. Can't see me even getting 40 mpg . I am keeping a note of the mileage and the amount of fuel I put in and will keep you posted. I think the 19" alloys and run flats both impact on the advertised mpg but I was hoping for a little better.

Overall though, I'm very very happy and 100% sure I made the right choice. Joy!!!!!!!!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Congratulations! Could you please elaborate on how the Google search works? I saw the pictures you took of the screen, but I'd like to know more about the procedure you need to follow (you mentioned an activation and an email too), if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Bimmer Bertie
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe 325i

Cool.....

Wish BMW didn't have a blooming 6-7 month wait
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
Congratulations! Could you please elaborate on how the Google search works? I saw the pictures you took of the screen, but I'd like to know more about the procedure you need to follow (you mentioned an activation and an email too), if possible.

Thanks in advance!
It may be slightly different in the UK to Canada but here you need to register for BMW ConnectedDrive. They give you a user name and password that you need to enter in your car under the BMW Online menu. I applied online Sat 26 and it was activated yesterday. Once activated in the car, the Google search and Google Send to Car features are all enabled.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

sfax,

great post

wait for 10k miles when the motor is run in and then you'll see good mpg

I'm concerned about the offset pedals (BMW are idiots, how can they screw it up) I hope you find a suitable driving position and pls keep us posted.

Steering feel - and I don't mean resistance to turn wheel but how natural does it feel and can you feel what the tyres are doing in relation to the road?

Enjoy your new car
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
sfax,

great post

wait for 10k miles when the motor is run in and then you'll see good mpg

I'm concerned about the offset pedals (BMW are idiots, how can they screw it up) I hope you find a suitable driving position and pls keep us posted.

Steering feel - and I don't mean resistance to turn wheel but how natural does it feel and can you feel what the tyres are doing in relation to the road?

Enjoy your new car
Thanks, some caveats on my comments:

Offset/Comfort. I'm 6' 3" so the offset / comfort might be less of an issue if your legs are shorter than mine

Steering. A lot of you guys have lots of BMW experience and experience with larger cars. I don't have any BMW experience and I've only owned VW Golfs up until now. I expect the steering to feel different on a much heavier and bigger car than my 3-door GTI. It is different but I like it. I think if I had a 28i or a 35i I would opt for VDC but I just don't think it's necessary in a 20d. I don't intend to drive the car like a sports car so I don't need it to feel like one. If you test drive an X3 with no VDC or VSS and you don't like the steering then go for VSS or VDC if you have the budget. For me, I'm glad I didn't.

Oh and tailgate - Forgot this one. Lots of people have said they found it too heavy but I don't have a problem with it and neither does the wife so far. We're both pretty fit, 31 and 33, I still remember what the gym looks like and she's very active . Will let you know if my opinion changes but absolutely no regrets for not getting a powered tailgate.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

Sfax, I'm starting to regret not specifying the Professional Media Package. You rate it highly.

I was always going to go for the auto as both the X3 and Q5 had negative feedback on the offset pedals. I didn't notice any problems on the test drive which was an auto.

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
Sfax, I'm starting to regret not specifying the Professional Media Package. You rate it highly.

I was always going to go for the auto as both the X3 and Q5 had negative feedback on the offset pedals. I didn't notice any problems on the test drive which was an auto.
I didn't notice it on my test drive in manual or auto. I'm hoping it will just take some time to get used to. When I test drove the Q5 I did notice it and I never felt comfortable.

Re. professional mm, yup, very pleased I went for this, although to be honest the main driver was the internal HDD for music - shame it doesn't have a little more free capacity. I'm a technophile so I'm enjoying all of the Google integration. I'll find faults with it after a while but so far so good.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #9
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

Funny that you mention the cruise control indicator in the speed dial :-)

When I noticed that during my test drive I suddenly knew that I wanted that car. The widescreen sat nav with the beautiful bird's view and this stupid little green light at the speed dial made my nerdy side very happy!
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreeze View Post
Funny that you mention the cruise control indicator in the speed dial :-)

When I noticed that during my test drive I suddenly knew that I wanted that car. The widescreen sat nav with the beautiful bird's view and this stupid little green light at the speed dial made my nerdy side very happy!
That green light is definitely in my top 5!

Nothing quite like German engineering and design....

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Did you see the green light switch between red and green? Whole 'nother level . . .

Or the dash details switch from white to red? I dig that part, too.
      03-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Thanks, some caveats on my comments:

Offset/Comfort. I'm 6' 3" so the offset / comfort might be less of an issue if your legs are shorter than mine

Steering. A lot of you guys have lots of BMW experience and experience with larger cars. I don't have any BMW experience and I've only owned VW Golfs up until now. I expect the steering to feel different on a much heavier and bigger car than my 3-door GTI. It is different but I like it. I think if I had a 28i or a 35i I would opt for VDC but I just don't think it's necessary in a 20d. I don't intend to drive the car like a sports car so I don't need it to feel like one. If you test drive an X3 with no VDC or VSS and you don't like the steering then go for VSS or VDC if you have the budget. For me, I'm glad I didn't.
I'm not too bothered how hard or light the steering per se is but how well does it communicate what the tyres are doing in relation to the road? Jaguar for example has lighter steering than BMW but is far better at communicating to the driver what is going on. All the reports I have read so far on BMW EPAS system is that it is very poor at communicating and feels unatural so I'm keen to hear from forum members what they think.

Last edited by Ant Man; 03-02-2011 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #13
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

+1 Ant man. I have gone for variable sports steering for now but now wonder if it and the servotronic feature are worth the £380? They sound good in the brochure but I have not been able to try them (although I have similar on my Merc). Great post by the way an keep enjoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

On the mpg point, you are worrying me about my choice of the 3.0d! Maybe my town driving with stop/go will generate bigger benefits?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
On the mpg point, you are worrying me about my choice of the 3.0d! Maybe my town driving with stop/go will generate bigger benefits?
I doubt it! I think stop-start only adds a few % at best.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
I'm not too bothered how hard or light the steering per se is but how well does it communicate what the tyres are doing in relation to the road? Jaguar for example has lighter steering than BMW but is far better at communicating to the driver what is going on. All the reports I have read so far on BMW EPAS system is that it is very poor at communicating and feels unatural so I'm keen to hear from a forum members what they think.
I haven't felt anything unusual wrt steering and feel of the tyres on the road. It is different to what I'm used to but I like it. I did thrash the steering around on some country lanes looking for problems but it passed my rudimentary tests

I have got sports suspension and servotronic so the feel will likely be different without sports suspension or without servotronic

Last edited by sfax; 03-02-2011 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: for clarity
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Did you see the green light switch between red and green? Whole 'nother level . . .

Or the dash details switch from white to red? I dig that part, too.
Woooooah. Green to red. What is this sorcery?! Is that what happens after you brake and before you hit resume?

And white to red. Do you just mean when the headlights are on/off or am I missing out on some colour customisation?

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Stop/go/regeneration is meant to save up to 7% so proportionately 7% of a bigger engine will be morse than 7% of a smaller engine. Or a I deluding myself?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Stop/go/regeneration is meant to save up to 7% so proportionately 7% of a bigger engine will be morse than 7% of a smaller engine. Or a I deluding myself?
Clearly delusional . 7% is brought to you by the same people who say you'll get a combined 50 mpg.

The huge factor in all of this is obviously how it's driven. I know I would be much more likely to drive it less efficiently if it was an xDrive30d. I need look no further than my last 2l petrol turbo for evidence!

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Calm music = calm driving = better mpg

Its all in the music

Give it a try!

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #21
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Where do screaming small children fit into mpg calculations? Sorry. Off topic. Please do add more feedback as it emerges.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #22
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

sfax,
is the current gear displayed on the dash? You say you the engine has so far been responsive with the 8 speed auto. I'm pleased, this sounds far better than the manual 6sp. Could you try slowing down (off throttle without braking) from say 30 / 40 mph to say 5/10mph and then floor the accelerator and report back? And also do the same but use the brakes instead? If you are able to see what gears the gearbox selects and when would also be very interesting. I'd like to know if you do experience any delay in the car building speed.
Appreciate 0