BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
RickSand
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Repair from timing chain jump

The timing chain jumped on my 2013 X3 at 130,000 miles (beyond the extended warranty). The dealership says it needs a $14500 engine replacement. My local import car mechanic says a $4000 repair to all the timing system components might do it, unless they find more damage after starting the repair, which would be an engine replacement. They suggested I have a 50/50 chance at avoiding the engine replacement. I’m looking to calibrate on the odds here. Anyone have experience (successes or failures) repairing an engine after a timing chain slip? I pulled over a hundred feet after getting the drivetrain malfunction error and the engine shutting down.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
GNX423
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28xi

Rick, I looked into it with mine. Purchased all of the updated parts and a few tools. Once I removed the valve cover and seen how much of the timing chain guide was missing, I know I would have to pull the oil pan (no easy feat on a awd car). Additionally I decided to run a leak down test to see if any of the valves were bent. Sure enough, cyl 1 had bent intake valves at a minimum. Then I was going to dig further by pulling the head, changing valves etc... and realized a low mileage engine is a much better option. Found an engine for $2K with under 50k miles. Changing an engine is not easy on these cars, but they are out there. I have a fair amount of auto experience and tools to do it.

Your mileage may vary with changing the timing gear, but if you have to pull the pan (integral part of the whole assembly) Its easier to pull the engine. Wish it were easier, but just not the way these engines are designed.

good luck with it,
Mike
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
RickSand
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the feedback. I should ask them to do the leak check. Also, I got to find a cheaper engine option. They said $7000 for a new one!
Appreciate 0