BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #1
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Any one feels the tranmission is too busy & jerky at low speed?

I have a 2014 35i and in slow or stop and go traffic the SUV is both laggy and jerky.

Way too many shifts from the transmission. Some of the downshifts are decidely unessecery, especially with the massive torque of the N55 engine.

The transmission should be programmed to ride the awesome low-end torque of the N55. But instead it always like to downshift prematurely, as if it is mated to a tiny revvy 4 cylinder. Maybe BMW used the same transmission calibration for all the gas engines?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

The transmission should learn how you drive over time .... You have to drive it like you stole it and it will become less jerky supposedly
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92 View Post
The transmission should learn how you drive over time .... You have to drive it like you stole it and it will become less jerky supposedly
that worked for me ( I also did the throttle body reset thing) when i can get up to speed.

But when caught up in city traffic for extended period, the transmission seem to revert back to the "jerky mode".
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

That's strange. Do you have the sport transmission or standard?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
AlphaMendoza
Admiral
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI 20D

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
I have a 2014 35i and in slow or stop and go traffic the SUV is both laggy and jerky.

Way too many shifts from the transmission. Some of the downshifts are decidely unessecery, especially with the massive torque of the N55 engine.

The transmission should be programmed to ride the awesome low-end torque of the N55. But instead it always like to downshift prematurely, as if it is mated to a tiny revvy 4 cylinder. Maybe BMW used the same transmission calibration for all the gas engines?
I have the UK 2.0D version LCI (new engine - but a 4 pot!). The auto transmission is generally brilliant but, if it has a fault, it is pulling away from standstill. It seems to do exactly the same as yours - rev a lot and shift too many times. I don't always want to shoot away at traffic lights but I feel I could do a much better job with manual shifts.

Once on the move I could not fault it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMendoza View Post
I have the UK 2.0D version LCI (new engine - but a 4 pot!). The auto transmission is generally brilliant but, if it has a fault, it is pulling away from standstill. It seems to do exactly the same as yours - rev a lot and shift too many times. I don't always want to shoot away at traffic lights but I feel I could do a much better job with manual shifts.

Same thing with my 20d. Not much acceleration under 1600rpm but it shifts like 3 times. I've gotten used to it. I find it drives and shifts better, if I drive heavy-footed, which is more fun anyway.... LoL
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #7
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Exactly... Pulling away from standstill it revs a lot but not fast, takes at 2000rpms revs and many annoying shifts just to keep up with the traffic. With manual shifts I launch at 2nd gear, smooth and very fast take off.

Your 2.0D is a diesel right? it should have lot of torque. I found the tranmission programming generally prefer to "rev" instead of using "torque". Which is quite odd given how much focus is put on MPG nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92 View Post
That's strange. Do you have the sport transmission or standard?
Yeah, this kind of thing doesn't show up unless you are caught in creeping/stop and go traffic for extended time. Once it gets up to speed it is all good.

I have the standard transmission, but I assume the shifting should be the same under the normal mode? Sport ones has paddles and faster shifts only under sport+ mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:07 AM   #9
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I have the 20D and find that I don't like the shift change in stop-start traffic. I had the programming of the gearbox checked out by BMW as I thought it was faulty, but they said it was fine. What I now do in traffic, is shift manually and then I have exactly the right gear for the conditions. I enjoy driving my car a lot more since making this change!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:19 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:

I have the 2013 (63) X3 xDrive30d MSport (UK) and I do not get any of these reported problems.

I find if I use it in Sport Mode it really is fine. It is away from the traffic lights like a scalded cat. If that is what I want to do.

If I leave it in Comfort Mode with a small amount of throttle it is really smooth and with my wife as a passenger says she hardly feels like it is changing gear.

I cannot help thinking the UK 2.0d (old and new engine) is working differently (more gear changes) to keep itself in the optimum tighter rev range for economy, whereas with the larger 3.0d this is not so critical.

Anyway with 8 gears this is going to happen more often than with the older auto gearboxes on previous cars.

That is my view anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:38 AM   #11
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
I have the 20D and find that I don't like the shift change in stop-start traffic. I had the programming of the gearbox checked out by BMW as I thought it was faulty, but they said it was fine. What I now do in traffic, is shift manually and then I have exactly the right gear for the conditions. I enjoy driving my car a lot more since making this change!
I think my 20d shifts quite smoothly when driving "civilized" in comfort mode. However in stop and go traffic or when quickly changing lanes in traffic, it gets a bit jolty. Therefore - and this may sound silly - when I am in traffic I activate sportmode. This way it gets more responsive and stays in a gear longer using that great diesel torque (380nm) as of about 1700 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I find the 8sp on mine pretty well adapted. If there are two drivers in the car make sure you use separate keys and driver profiles. That would ensure the shift adaptations are tailored to your style.

That being said, I never really feel shifts or hunting on this very smooth transmission. Only under light throttle I notice the car "asleep " and I need to be more assertive to get it moving.. either a shift to DS or toggle to Sport will do the trick.

On my dad's 2011 I find I gotta drive it for awhile before it sorts itself our as there are four drivers on that end.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #13
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Exactly... Pulling away from standstill it revs a lot but not fast, takes at 2000rpms revs and many annoying shifts just to keep up with the traffic. With manual shifts I launch at 2nd gear, smooth and very fast take off.
If you want it to hold a gear longer, use the sport mode. There is a software update for jerky transmission at low speed, talk to your dealer about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #14
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you want it to hold a gear longer, use the sport mode. There is a software update for jerky transmission at low speed, talk to your dealer about it.
I have a 2.0D as well. Are you referring to Nov2014 update? I had my car flashed last week at the dealer and it upgraded from July to Nov update and changed a few things. I was there at the dealer and he let me watch but didn't allow me to get a PDF of the final report.

In the first 3 weeks of the car it was always in city traffic so I had the same objervations as well. Had to push it to go types. However I was taking it slow since I was in the runnin period. I am now on a 900KM road trip and trying 150-160km/l and it's just like butter - effort less and happy to go more but I am restricting myself till I clock 2000km as per the manual. The bright side is when I am now at my destination, I see the normal city driving is also much smoother like the car understood what I like and working to it. But after reading this thread it looks like when I go to my normal office life with being greeted with stop and go traffic, things will become sluggish again??
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #15
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Manage to avoid most city driving issues - but do find in slow moving ( rather than stop start ) traffic that pushing it into sports mode does the trick.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #16
AlphaMendoza
Admiral
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI 20D

Quote:
Got my LCI end of May 2014, so its sounds like there was a software upgrade in Nov 2014 that would be worth trying. I have not been back to my dealer for 6 months!

Also I will try the Sport mode as suggested, and play around with Manual shifting.

I will report back.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #17
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

I wish I had known about this a week ago when I went in for my first scheduled service.

I first noticed this when on a trip out of town when I took my father along. I've had car problems before when on vacation, and it would be worse on a road trip in a new car. Something just didn't seem right.

I finally decided that it was just me being more aware, because I was away. But this thread indicated the other reason. I was probably being more careful with acceleration, which makes the shifting more apparent. And I was normally using Eco Pro mode on this trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 04:26 AM   #18
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrueb View Post
I think my 20d shifts quite smoothly when driving "civilized" in comfort mode. However in stop and go traffic or when quickly changing lanes in traffic, it gets a bit jolty. Therefore - and this may sound silly - when I am in traffic I activate sportmode. This way it gets more responsive and stays in a gear longer using that great diesel torque (380nm) as of about 1700 rpm.
Atrueb, I have tried sport mode in heavy traffic and the problem I find is that it holds a gear too long and is revving higher than I would like. I know, there's no pleasing some people;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #19
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Yeah, this kind of thing doesn't show up unless you are caught in creeping/stop and go traffic for extended time. Once it gets up to speed it is all good.

I have the standard transmission, but I assume the shifting should be the same under the normal mode? Sport ones has paddles and faster shifts only under sport+ mode?
I'm confused because I ordered my car with the 2TB standalone transmission option ("Sport Automatic with Paddle Shifters") but my car will not have M-Sport or DHP (sadly) so I believe that means no Sport+... So I think it must make it shift faster in Sport too? I hope...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #20
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
Atrueb, I have tried sport mode in heavy traffic and the problem I find is that it holds a gear too long and is revving higher than I would like. I know, there's no pleasing some people;-)
I felt that too. The first gear is way too short (at least for the large engine on x3 35i or 35d), almost like i am free reving the engine At 25% to 50% throttle, I get much better acceleration from 2nd gear.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #21
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, any detailes on the that update? My dealer's default answer is "your car is up to date" unless I throw the TSB# in their face...

Actually either sport and eco mode helped: sports mode holds a gear longer, eco mode prevents premature downshifts. The comfort mode is the least comfortable of all under stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #22
abee20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Quote:
I felt that too. The first gear is way too short (at least for the large engine on x3 35i or 35d), almost like i am free reving the engine At 25% to 50% throttle, I get much better acceleration from 2nd gear.
I too find 1st gear to be a little short on my 35i. Sooo much smoother when I manually take off from 2nd. I wish there were a way to lock out 1st gear without having to shift manually.