BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #23
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

So an update... I bought my last set of maps from a vendor here for $50 US, and this "lifetime" business intrigued me, and for $10 less, I thought why not give it a shot, as worst case, even if it's not lifetime, I'm no worse off.

So I went ahead and bought a set from hurvajs77 on Ebay, and everything went perfectly. The guy's got great service, he's quick (even gives you MD5 checksums to check if you want to make sure the files you downloaded from his FTP site came thru fine, before unzipping them). And the map of course works fine!

He said that the Way the code works is that I'll never have to Input it again whenever I upload new maps, and he'll email me as new ones are available!

Just thought I'd pass it along. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #24
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
So an update... I bought my last set of maps from a vendor here for $50 US, and this "lifetime" business intrigued me, and for $10 less, I thought why not give it a shot, as worst case, even if it's not lifetime, I'm no worse off.

So I went ahead and bought a set from hurvajs77 on Ebay, and everything went perfectly. The guy's got great service, he's quick (even gives you MD5 checksums to check if you want to make sure the files you downloaded from his FTP site came thru fine, before unzipping them). And the map of course works fine!

He said that the Way the code works is that I'll never have to Input it again whenever I upload new maps, and he'll email me as new ones are available!

Just thought I'd pass it along. :thumbup:
Welcome to the ever increasing group of converted people using the lifetime codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 06:00 AM   #25
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Update on BMW FSC codes. Warning.

There are some people on ebay and other sites (not this one) selling BMW "lifetime FSC activation codes". These lifetime codes no longer work as of the latest released map "Europe NEXT (NBT) 2016-2".

I have it on good authority that BMW have inserted new programming instructions into the latest map "Europe NEXT (NBT) 2016-2" release to prevent the use of lifetime codes. See note below.

Under previous map updates when a "lifetime code" had been used in the vehicle, when the new map on the USB stick was inserted into the USB slot the car's navigation map just automatically updated without any input of the FSC code being required. I knew this was fact because I updated 4 maps without any problem.

From "Europe NEXT (NBT) 2016-2" when the USB stick is inserted into the USB slot, the iDrive system defaults to the input screen for inputting FSC code characters. As soon as the previously obtained lifetime code is input, it advises "entered activation code is incorrect".

It goes without saying that if you have a "friend" who has the hardware and software who had previously supplied a now non working "lifetime" code, then you need to go back to him/her and obtain a new code for each map.

My own personal view is that BMW have not gained anything financially by doing this, because as we all know you can come to this site and send a PM to the appropriate supplier and pay far less for a code than you would to BMW when each map is released.

Note. I can only confirm for UK Europe NBT maps as my vehicle is in the UK and I only use Europe NBT maps. I have no knowledge of other types of maps for other countries.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #26
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I will chime in on my own experience, as I just updated my maps with North America 2016-2 (which was my first map update since the purchase of a lifetime version last year with the 2016-1 maps), and it went just fine. The screen did not prompt me for a code again, so hopefully my code will keep on working in future.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #27
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I will chime in on my own experience, as I just updated my maps with North America 2016-2 (which was my first map update since the purchase of a lifetime version last year with the 2016-1 maps), and it went just fine. The screen did not prompt me for a code again, so hopefully my code will keep on working in future.
Good to know. I just wonder how many times it will let you do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #28
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

As far as I know, the FSC code gives a date where maps are valid until. When you add a map, it checks to see if the FSC code date is past what the map files are. So the lifetime codes will be a date a few years in the future. At least that's kind of the explanation I got when I got a code last time.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #29
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
As far as I know, the FSC code gives a date where maps are valid until. When you add a map, it checks to see if the FSC code date is past what the map files are. So the lifetime codes will be a date a few years in the future. At least that's kind of the explanation I got when I got a code last time.
It is a little hit and miss. It all depends on who creates the code and their understanding of it.

There is no such thing as a lifetime code from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #30
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
It is a little hit and miss. It all depends on who creates the code and their understanding of it.

There is no such thing as a lifetime code from BMW.
So this is not generated by the person's contact within BMW?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #31
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So this is not generated by the person's contact within BMW?
I cannot answer that, but whenever I have spoken to people on this subject they have told me there is no such thing as a lifetime code from BMW.

Anybody can produce a certificate! Easy to do! Go to India and find out how you can be a registered masseur for only a few rupees.

Now back to you question. Perhaps you should ask ShawnSheridan or Dracon who supply FSC activation codes on this forum. I am sure they answered the question on another thread a long time ago saying BMW did not do lifetime codes. Perhaps I miss read what was said. If so my old age and senility are getting the better of me.

I would love to know the real answer myself, but my supplier says no such thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #32
Mooneypilot
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

ebay FSC code

I updated my 2013 X3 35i MSport from the ebay seller. All worked perfectly, but a week later, my satnav quit entirely. Going into the Service menu, it tells me that I have no antenna connection. I don't understand how a software update can cause a hardware fault, so I'm calling it a coincidence. Now I need help to fix my antenna problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #33
blackcat06
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30

Hi everyone, I know this is a old thread, but I have a NBTevo id4 does this mean lifetime code still works for this model?

I have seen people on youtube that have id4's using lifetime codes.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 02:42 PM   #34
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat06 View Post
Hi everyone, I know this is a old thread, but I have a NBTevo id4 does this mean lifetime code still works for this model?

I have seen people on youtube that have id4's using lifetime codes.

Thanks
It appears that the generated clandestine lifetime codes have not worked for quite a while. Some years back on my pre lci 2013 F25 X3 xDrive 30d MSport, I used to update the map regularly when the new ones were released. The lifetime code was supplied by a guy who did this for many people at a knock-down price.

One day, I started to carry out the update procedure and the car asked for a new FSC code. When I went back to my friend who had supplied the code, he said that BMW had altered one of the files and that lifetime codes would not work anymore. He generated another one for me, but one year later new code was asked for. He gave me another one, but I sold the car later, so I did not see what happened later.

Note. This was in the UK, so it might be different down in NZ.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 04:53 PM   #35
blackcat06
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
It appears that the generated clandestine lifetime codes have not worked for quite a while. Some years back on my pre lci 2013 F25 X3 xDrive 30d MSport, I used to update the map regularly when the new ones were released. The lifetime code was supplied by a guy who did this for many people at a knock-down price.

One day, I started to carry out the update procedure and the car asked for a new FSC code. When I went back to my friend who had supplied the code, he said that BMW had altered one of the files and that lifetime codes would not work anymore. He generated another one for me, but one year later new code was asked for. He gave me another one, but I sold the car later, so I did not see what happened later.

Note. This was in the UK, so it might be different down in NZ.
Thanks Peter.

Yeah, reason why is I am looking at doing some changes on VO and Shawn has advised that the map loaded will not work without a new FSC. I was kind of hoping to get a lifetime one without having to input a new one every time I change something.

Cheers
Appreciate 0