BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
Donnadonna
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3

Rear door child proof lock?

2019 X3 rear doors cant be opened by the rear passengers. Must be opened from outside. Is there a way to program this that Im missing?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnadonna View Post
2019 X3 rear doors cant be opened by the rear passengers. Must be opened from outside. Is there a way to program this that Im missing?
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, what you're missing is to

Name:  child lock.JPG
Views: 6418
Size:  35.6 KB

Last edited by pungo; 07-06-2019 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
Donnadonna
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3

Yea thanks, its my sisters car. I have not had the chance and although she did... it didnt take.
Im used to the Ford Super Duty forum where people j
answer questions... or if they have something snarky to say... they post a laughing smiley face.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #4
DeirdreGill
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, what you're missing is to

Attachment 2092866
Good one. It's the door lock actuator causing the problem. Done 3 of these already, two rights and a left. If you remove the bottom seat cushion, then use a thin flat trim tool to feel out, then pop up clips that hold in the rear door sill plate. You can then remove the inner felt weatherstrip, making it easy to remove the door panel without damaging the door panel. Takes about 20-25 minutes now to get a rear door open since I figured out the back seat removal & sill plate weatherstrip removal so easily facilitates the removal of the inner door panel. The guys from West Valley Locksmith helped me solve the problem.

Last edited by DeirdreGill; 07-26-2021 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 06:40 AM   #5
Cecopal
Banned
Rep
Drives: x3 2014

Try to have a look on the inside of the door, there can be something like kids lock - its a safety lock on the internal part of the door. In case it's not that, try to call a locksmith tower hill to solve this issue, I am very sure they will easily fix this for you
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 07:28 AM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreGill View Post
Good one. It's the door lock actuator causing the problem. Done 3 of these already, two rights and a left. If you remove the bottom seat cushion, then use a thin flat trim tool to feel out, then pop up clips that hold in the rear door sill plate. You can then remove the inner felt weatherstrip, making it easy to remove the door panel without damaging the door panel. Takes about 20-25 minutes now to get a rear door open since I figured out the back seat removal & sill plate weatherstrip removal so easily facilitates the removal of the inner door panel. The guys from West Valley Locksmith helped me solve the problem.
The OP said the doors can readily be opened from the outside, so why would he need to do any of this? What you describe would only be necessary if the door cannot be opened at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 07:30 AM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecopal View Post
Try to have a look on the inside of the door, there can be something like kids lock - its a safety lock on the internal part of the door. In case it's not that, try to call a locksmith tower hill to solve this issue, I am very sure they will easily fix this for you
A locksmith is a pretty expensive way to read the manual, but I suppose it would work.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 12:27 PM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Just so you know, the OP hasn't logged onto this site in nearly 3 years, so your reply to them will probably not be read. As well, hopefully they figured it out within the last 3 years

BTW, post #2 has a pic for how to use the kids lock
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 10:14 AM   #9
Poyite
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
It will cost you 100£ +. It sounds like a good option but I would try to fix it on my own
Appreciate 0