BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-29-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Adaptive Suspension - LOWER or not?

All of the BMW marketing materials, and press stuff says that the Adaptive Suspension option lowers the car by .4 of an inch... can anyone actually confirm or deny this?

I've seen X3M40i's side by side both with and without this option, and couldn't tell the difference. If I had a tape measure with me I'd have confirmed it, but alas I did not.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Let's measure them up.
From the centre of the wheel hub to the bottom of fender.

M40i

440mm front
430mm rear
Appreciate 1
yllwwgn170.00
      03-29-2018, 11:44 PM   #3
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Let's measure them up.

M40i

440mm front
430mm rear
Thanks voyagergab... btw are you on the Adaptive or standard suspension? And let’s get someone else to measure theirs (ideally NOT what voyagergab has).
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 12:04 AM   #4
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwwgn View Post
Thanks voyagergab... btw are you on the Adaptive or standard suspension? And let’s get someone else to measure theirs (ideally NOT what voyagergab has).
M40i only comes with
Adaptive M Suspension (at least in Canada)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 01:17 AM   #5
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
M40i only comes with
Adaptive M Suspension (at least in Canada)
It's an option for the m40i in Sweden
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 02:41 AM   #6
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I dont think the adaptive lowers the suspension. But may be wrong!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
3geekfamily
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mini Hardtop JCW

Pretty cut and dry, straight from BMW.

Appreciate 1
f30ser321.50
      03-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3geekfamily View Post
Pretty cut and dry, straight from BMW.

I beg to differ... I think the OP wants to know what that drops by 0.4 inch means. Is that in "sport+" mode? Or is it always 0.4 inch lower, etc? What are the different things it can do?

IMHO BMW really dropped the ball on all the marketing/option config stuff. How do I know? I was cross-shopping with Audi Q5, you can find a lot more explanations on the options/feature on their config tool.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
3geekfamily
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mini Hardtop JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
I beg to differ... I think the OP wants to know what that drops by 0.4 inch means. Is that in "sport+" mode? Or is it always 0.4 inch lower, etc? What are the different things it can do?

IMHO BMW really dropped the ball on all the marketing/option config stuff. How do I know? I was cross-shopping with Audi Q5, you can find a lot more explanations on the options/feature on their config tool.
Sorry, that might be YOUR question, but that isn't the question the OP asked. I answered the OP's question, in that the suspension is .4" lower with the adaptive M suspension.

I've not read anything at all about the ride height changing at all on the car, and I'm certain that the car does not have an air suspension, so that part isn't likely. It would also add a ton of cost and complexity to the suspension for changing the ride height less than half of an inch.

The SQ5 changes ride height based on suspension modes - but that moves a relatively large 1.5".
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
f30ser3
Private
Rep
Drives: On foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post

With adaptive BMW suspension is regulated only stiffness of dampers so that means X3 with M adaptive suspension is 0,4 inches always lower than without ordering this suspension. If you have suspension button in "comfort" or "eco" ride is more comfy if you have it in "sport", ride is much more stiffer. This function can be used independently of driving modes. So you can have drive mode sport but suspension still in comfort if you like. In sport driving mode car shifts quicker, rpm are higher, steering is more direct and throttle response is more sensitive.

I think that you already know that standard suspension on M40i is lower than standard suspension on for example X3 30i. In the matter of fact "standard" suspension in M40i has different geometry and so on compared with suspension of regular versions of X3( 20i, 20d, 30i,...).

Here you can look briefly when BMW's suspension engineer for X3(g01) talks on this topic.

Otherwise if you want adjustable stifness and height you must buy air suspension which is standard on new cayenne or you can order in GLC, Q5 or Macan. I think that BMW made good decision to not offer air suspension on SUV X3 because it's already height enough for 90% of situation and air suspension adds a lot to vehicle weight. You need air compressor(usually in trunk) for air suspension...
But if you want BMW and air suspension then you can get this in new 6 gt series.

I personally have car at least 6 years and because of that I wouldn't chose adaptive or air suspension as we all know that this things have high tendency to break after warranty is gone. German spare parts are insanely pricy and if you have adaptive or air suspension then you must buy only original parts with big car producer margin. With "regular" suspension you can get same quality parts from Monroe or whatever producers for half of Mercedes', BMW's or Audi's price.

Last edited by f30ser3; 03-30-2018 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 3
ando2005.00
yllwwgn170.00
      03-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwwgn View Post
All of the BMW marketing materials, and press stuff says that the Adaptive Suspension option lowers the car by .4 of an inch... can anyone actually confirm or deny this? I've seen X3M40i's side by side both with and without this option, and couldn't tell the difference. If I had a tape measure with me I'd have confirmed it, but alas I did not.
Quote:
Let's measure them up. From the centre of the wheel hub to the bottom of fender. M40i -

440mm front
430mm rear
We have the X3 M40i but did not opt for the Adaptive Suspension. I measured with a 2' level with metric and inch scales so I could insure I was 90 deg vertical as viewed from the side. Not an exacting measure as hub is inward c/w fender's edge, but I get ~428mm front and rear, +/- 2mm or so.

Last edited by Max Well; 03-30-2018 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
ando2005.00
yllwwgn170.00
      03-31-2018, 01:10 AM   #12
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
We have the X3 M40i but did not opt for the Adaptive Suspension. I measured with a 2' level with metric and inch scales so I could insure I was 90 deg vertical as viewed from the side. Not an exacting measure as hub is inward c/w fender's edge, but I get ~428mm front and rear, +/- 2mm or so.
Thanks Max, and everyone else. I was asking about the static height of the Adaptive Suspension... no airbag stuff as our cars don’t have those. I know the marketing materials say it’s lower, I have no reason to doubt that, I just can’t see it even when the models are side by side. No worries, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
Samartt
Registered
Rep
Drives: ‘15 Audi S3

I have standard M sport suspension. I measured 429 mm front only. Is the standard M sport setup .4” lower than adaptive?
Appreciate 1
yllwwgn170.00
      04-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #14
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Let's measure them up.

M40i

440mm front
430mm rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samartt View Post
I have standard M sport suspension. I measured 429 mm front only. Is the standard M sport setup .4” lower than adaptive?
And this is why I posed the question, because we have 3 responders and the delta/range is basically THE SAME for owners with, and without the Adaptive Suspension. This is also what I've observed on the dealer lot. I'm not stating BMW is intentionally misleading in their marketing materials, but so far NO DIFFERENCE IN RIDE HEIGHT has been observed. I just picked mine up the other day, I'll measure tonight when I get home, and update with my measurements.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #15
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Does the height in adaptive depend on the setting? Sport+ should be the lowest?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuySweden View Post
Does the height in adaptive depend on the setting? Sport+ should be the lowest?
No it's not a "height-adjustable" type of setup, like some of the Audi stuff. The dampening of the shocks changes with the settings... but the ride height is set to a STATIC height, regardless of setting. It's the Adaptive Suspension option that is supposed to lower the height always. At least that's how BMW presents it. But so far it doesn't appear to be the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #17
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Ride height is defined by springs - not shocks. Theoretically BMW could use other springs on adaptive, but probably not. It`s more likely all M suspensions are lowered 10 mm. In that case Marketing screw up with wrong INFO.

I have H&R springs - original M Sport adaptive shocks on my car, X4 35i. A bit rough chassis comfort, but improved steering precision - similar to X4 M40i-even without the Michelins.
Appreciate 0