BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-01-2020, 08:51 PM   #1
05cobra
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 m50i and bmw x3 m40i

X3 M40i vs X5 M50i ownership experience

Hi guys,

I recently added an X5 M50i to go along with the X3 M40i and just thought I'd leave some initial impressions of the vehicle and how they differ.

X5 M50i has the extended shadowline with Black Sapphire and a Canberra Beige interior.
X3 M40i is in Carbon Black with Canberra Beige interior (black seat belts though).

Lets start with the pros and cons of the X3:
Pro's
The engine is great. The B58 has to be one of the best engines I've ever driven with the smoothness and how it builds power, whilst encouraging you to still go higher in the RPMS.
The weight balance and smaller size. This allows the car to just handle like it has no right too and it definitely handles better than most of its competitors. The steering feel is a bit dead but everything else about the car is great. You can even slide it in the wet and it'll feel natural and progressive.
The build quality on our particular example is extremely high quality. No rattles or squeaks anywhere and with the sensatec leather on the dash and soft touch anywhere you will normally touch, the car feels like you just spend $100k+ (AUD).
That cold start is fantastic and it really lets people know you have something special under the hood.[/INDENT]
Cons:
The Harman Kardon sound system is absolute trash. My Nissan Altima with Bose and Jeep Grand Cherokee with its Alpine system sound 100x better and that should not be acceptable at this price point.
The materials feel a little sub-par when you step into an X5 M50i.
The steering column should be electric and allow for easy-entry.
You don't hear much of the exhaust inside the car even with the windows down.
The tires wear out relatively quick.
The M-sport brakes produce incredible brake dust and the wheels look horrible because of this.
(Personal one) Carbon Black is horrible to maintain.
The brakes can get squeaky really easily.

Pro's for the X5:
The car feels like its worth $180k (AUD) with its luxurious interior finish and high quality leather everywhere. The new iDrive 7 screen is huge and the ambient lighting on the lighter interior really set a special atmosphere. The suspension is significantly softer to the point it almost feels floaty even though it's optioned with the Dynamic handling pack.
The V8 engine is great and it has incredible torque low down. You really don't need to go above 2,000 rpm to get to reasonable speeds around town.
The Harman Kardon system is significantly better than the X3 but still not good enough for a car at this price point.
The car looks incredible! Definitely the best looking SUV in this price point with the M-sport bodykit in darker colours.
It has all the driving assistance and technical features you would expect in a car at this price point.
It has a great turning circle for its size!

Cons:
The engine doesn't seem to 'pull' as hard as the B58 even though the car is moving just as quickly if not quicker.
The car doesn't handle anywhere near as sharply as the X3 and feels floaty. The Integral active steer creates an uneasy feeling on the motorway, with the car seeming like its floating and feeling nervous in comparison.
The car has virtually no sound from that V8 even with the flaps open.
The car should really have a quad tip design to show off the V8.
My car doesn't have the M-sport buckets or massage seats, so definitely feel like I'm missing out a bit there.

Overall, I really love both cars for different reasons and am now looking to get a bit of a sound increase out of both cars for a reasonable price without introducing drone into the cabin as we do use them on Motorways frequently.

The X5 truly is just a luxurious cruiser with power and the V8 just adds to the vehicle by making it so easy to drive and get up to speed. It's truly relaxing and feels ultra-luxury. I like the suspension softness but just wish I could get rid of that floaty feeling in sports mode.

The X3 is a little bit simpler, especially with its slightly older interior design. I think the Dash in the X3 (iDrive 6) looks much better than the iDrive 7 in the X5 but can appreciate the use of both. I wish BMW would let us configure how we want it to look, so we can all find a setting that we like! I also hate the way multiple driver profiles are set in iDrive 7 and wish they wouldn't have changed that.

Both of the cars are definitely the best value propositions in the segment and are heavily under-rated for their capabilities.

I just wish BMW would add in the off-road modes to the X5 so we can atleast take it to the sand dunes.

Comparatively, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland had a really intuitive software system and amazing off road capability. I also think its one of the best looking SUV's around and definitely underrated by people who think of them as unreliable (having kept it for 3 years before buying the X3 and a SRT in the family for 4) they offer great features per $. If they were to add a bit more soft touch materials lower on the door and cut a bit of weight out of the chassis, the cars would become serious value propositions as to me - they look and compete against prestige cars vs the Toyota Landcruisers (interiors just don't match up and nor does exterior look).

Just thought I'd post this here and share my experience with all of you guys!
Appreciate 5
shoptb176.00
Rbrown2765.50
M40eye54.50
Alias1431795.00
      12-02-2020, 01:35 AM   #2
redblaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Great experience sharing. I test drove a X5 M50i without a dynamic handling package a few days ago and that floaty boat feeling was a deal breaker. But even with that package it is still floaty? A bit disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 03:28 AM   #3
05cobra
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblaze View Post
Great experience sharing. I test drove a X5 M50i without a dynamic handling package a few days ago and that floaty boat feeling was a deal breaker. But even with that package it is still floaty? A bit disappointing.
Yeah, it seems like they purposely went for the floaty sensation to avoid the critics saying it rides too hard. I have the 22in rims on mine and I think the suspension as a whole is very well damped in terms of comfort but the rear-wheel steering and overall floaty sensation makes me not want to throw the car into a corner.

Another issue with the X5 is that the road noise on a bad/rough surface is extremely unbearable and my tyres aren't even runflat. So go figure.

Now to try and get an exhaust on both of these cars at an affordable price
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #4
Joker Eh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Great comparison. As a new bmw owner of an x3 M40i I love the driving and engine as you mentioned but there are several disappointing missing features in the x3 that for this price point leave me feeling sort of short changed.

Remote Starter
Ability to update iDrive Remotely without having to go to dealer.

Now I have been told the reasons but I don't take those reasons as valid. Not at this price point and in 2020.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      12-02-2020, 11:23 PM   #5
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Eh View Post
Great comparison. As a new bmw owner of an x3 M40i I love the driving and engine as you mentioned but there are several disappointing missing features in the x3 that for this price point leave me feeling sort of short changed.

Remote Starter
Ability to update iDrive Remotely without having to go to dealer.

Now I have been told the reasons but I don't take those reasons as valid. Not at this price point and in 2020.
Agreed. If cars one-third the price can have it, there's no excuse. That goes for the sound system, too, HK or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 05:07 AM   #6
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Great write up there, Cobra, some awesome detail in there.
Nice coming from an Aussie, always a bit more relevant when we know the context of the roads you are on.

The X5m50i must be very soft, as I consider the X3m40i to be quite soft with a decent amount of body-roll already.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:38 AM   #7
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I agree the X5 looks much better than the X3..but did you consider it worth exactly double the X3 m40i?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #8
05cobra
Rep

Hey BulkBen, yeah the X5 is significantly more comfortable in terms of ride and softness, however, the roll is not substantially more because of the additional tech underneath the chassis (I also haven't pushed it hard enough yet to be able to discern exactly how much it will roll. The car weighs substantially more and that doesn't make you want to drive it in corners as hard. Also, I'm still getting used to the rear-wheel steering and find that it makes it harder to judge the car's behaviour around corners. I suspect it'll understeer at the limit.) The X3's lean isn't that bad if you have the entire car set up in Sports Plus because it allows you to really feel what the car's doing and therefore, push closer to the limit. Driving it in the wet - you can easily do powerslides out of corners which is just amazing in a SUV - especially when it feels as progressive and easy as it did in my S15 Silvia with 1.5 way diff.

Hey Satz, the car definitely isn't 'worth' 2x more than a comparable X3 but as you go up in price - there definitely is some small changes which make it a touch nicer. E.g - the real leather on the dash and top of the doors, the soft close doors, rear wheel steering, significantly better stereo, bigger screens, more comfortable seats, illuminated tread sills and lastly a V8 producing 390kW that you don't need to drive above 2k rpm to get upto road-legal speeds. The car feels very regal and probably does Range Rover better than Range Rover if you don't consider off-roading. The way I've been feeling in it recently is that I'm driving a budget Rolls Royce Cullinan due to how effortless the car is. It's ridiculously comfortable for a BMW 'M' car and just so quiet.

I do still love my X3. I think it is definitely the best bang for buck you can get in the prestige segment. If only it had a significantly better stereo - the car would be so hard to beat in terms of value for money.

Also FYI we paid around 50% more than we paid for our X3 for the X5. Still not sure if we got a good deal on both but I sure hope so as I have a very close friend at BMW (didn't buy the car off them because they didn't have stock both times, who thinks the pricing was great).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #9
ALGAPO
Rep
Drives: X5 35i

Another Comparison Question

Gents, great thread.

When the X3M (not the m40i) and the X5 m50i were released, I test-drove both (not for long, just a lengthy suburban loop around the delaership which took maybe 10 minutes each). I currently have a 2012 (yes...) x5 Sports and in the past (pre-kids) had an M3. I thought both felt great, but clarly the X3M felt like a "car" not really an SUV.
I am looking to finally upgrade and am VERY much in doubt between ther both and even a "more discreet" x5 simply with M-sport package (obviosly there would be a huge engine difference).
Why am I in this doubt? My kids are getting to where they don't need car seats and anyways I drive most of the time solo. Thus, I don't really need the size, especially since the x5 is slightly larger today than mine. However, I have never really liked the x3 design (inside and outside) and the only one I would ever consider is the M, be it for the body style, be it for the obvious M3-like punch.
Engine-wise, I always thought that my x5 was anemic from 0-60 but not bad once it revs up a bit. Ideally I would want some more punch.
Lastly, I also want to consider the redesign cycles. As you see, I like to keep cars for some time and would not want a redesign on me say one year after I upgrade.
I figure that the three cars are going to all cost within a span of $ 10k from each other....
I welcome thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #10
anotherguitarplayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

Garage List
2021 BMW M550  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGAPO View Post
Gents, great thread.

When the X3M (not the m40i) and the X5 m50i were released, I test-drove both (not for long, just a lengthy suburban loop around the delaership which took maybe 10 minutes each). I currently have a 2012 (yes...) x5 Sports and in the past (pre-kids) had an M3. I thought both felt great, but clarly the X3M felt like a "car" not really an SUV.
I am looking to finally upgrade and am VERY much in doubt between ther both and even a "more discreet" x5 simply with M-sport package (obviosly there would be a huge engine difference).
Why am I in this doubt? My kids are getting to where they don't need car seats and anyways I drive most of the time solo. Thus, I don't really need the size, especially since the x5 is slightly larger today than mine. However, I have never really liked the x3 design (inside and outside) and the only one I would ever consider is the M, be it for the body style, be it for the obvious M3-like punch.
Engine-wise, I always thought that my x5 was anemic from 0-60 but not bad once it revs up a bit. Ideally I would want some more punch.
Lastly, I also want to consider the redesign cycles. As you see, I like to keep cars for some time and would not want a redesign on me say one year after I upgrade.
I figure that the three cars are going to all cost within a span of $ 10k from each other....
I welcome thoughts.
The G05 X5 40i with the B58 moves just fine off the line. It won't throw you back into your seat, but it's more than acceptable when you need to get on it. I recently traded in my 20 X3 M40 for a 22 X3MC, but still enjoy getting behind our X5. The X3 just went through its LCI for MY22. It brought the tech up on par with our X5 (full iDrive 7, larger screen in some models, remote start, OTA upgrades, drive recorder, comfort 2.0, drivers assistant pro, etc.). The center console stack was also updated to match the other new models. The M40 got the 48V mild hybrid update that some others with the B58 got last year. The base X3M got a modest HP boost and both X3M models (X3MC) got a torque increase. The front and rear changed a bit cosmetically. The X5 will go through its LCI next year for MY23. Those particular changes are all rumored at the moment. One rumor includes iDrive 8 which is found in the new electric vehicles. Those current implementations include a large curved display, which I'm not a fan of. It's possible the 40i would get a little power bump. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate getting a X3/X5 at the moment with regards to changes coming down the road. However, the parts shortages have impacted both in some capacity. You would want to look around and see what some of those current deletions are. One current deletion for the X3 is the digital key, which allows your iPhone/watch to open/start the vehicle. Also, deals that most are used to getting out there are pretty non-existent right now.

Last edited by anotherguitarplayer; 11-21-2021 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #11
ALGAPO
Rep
Drives: X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguitarplayer View Post
The G05 X5 40i with the B58 moves just fine off the line. It won't throw you back into your seat, but it's more than acceptable when you need to get on it. I recently traded in my 20 X3 M40 for a 22 X3MC, but still enjoy getting behind our X5. The X3 just went through its LCI for MY22. It brought the tech up on par with our X5 (full iDrive 7, larger screen in some models, remote start, OTA upgrades, drive recorder, comfort 2.0, drivers assistant pro, etc.). The center console stack was also updated to match the other new models. The M40 got the 48V mild hybrid update that some others with the B58 got last year. The base X3M got a modest HP boost and both X3M models (X3MC) got a torque increase. The front and rear changed a bit cosmetically. The X5 will go through its LCI next year for MY23. Those particular changes are all rumored at the moment. One rumor includes iDrive 8 which is found in the new electric vehicles. Those current implementations include a large curved display, which I'm not a fan of. It's possible the 40i would get a little power bump. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate getting a X3/X5 at the moment with regards to changes coming down the road. However, the parts shortages have impacted both in some capacity. You would want to look around and see what some of those current deletions are. One current deletion for the X3 is the digital key, which allows your iPhone/watch to open/start the vehicle. Also, deals that most are used to getting out there are pretty non-existent right now.

Thank you, great input!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #12
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

I’m surprised you think the HK sound is absolute trash. I’d consider myself somewhat of an audiophile and think the hk in my ‘22 x3 sounds fantastic. No it doesn’t have that overpower boomy base so many people seem to want, but it’s well balanced, GREAT phasing, extremely clear mids and highs and seems to be getting smoother as it breaks in. Using lossless Apple Music and usb fyi.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #13
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Thanks for the write-up! After six months of driving my X3 M40i, I wanted something with more room and softer ride and was looking into the X5 M50i. Due to the chip shortage and reduction of features and options has held me off. And now, I'm pretty set now on getting a Cayenne GTS.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      11-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #14
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

I'm currently cross shopping both the X5M50 with the X3M40. I currently own a 2019 X5 Msport 40i.

After driving both my impression is that the X5M50 feels basically the same as the 40i with the exception of the engine. The steering is too light and the suspension is too soft for my taste. The car I drove did not have DHP, but I have hated active steering in every BMW I have ever driven. The engine noise is pretty minimal and the gas mileage is terrible.

Basically, I don't get the X5M50, after driving it I would stick with the 6 cylinder.

The things I like about the X3 are the motor which I agree is a masterpiece, and the steering which is far sharper even though it's still a bit dead. The piano black on the center console is awful though and I agree it should have a power steering column. Also the seats are nowhere near as comfortable as the X5.

I find it amazing that to get a nice interior out of a BMW you basically have to buy a big and bloated car. None of their smaller cars have interiors that compare to the X5 or higher trims. It wasn't too long ago that you could get a very nice interior from the 3 series, but times have changed and cost cutting is very evident now.

The stereo sucks in both cars, and in general the H/K is garbage in every current BMW I have driven. This is a far cry from 10 years ago when you were truly getting a quality upgrade by optioning it.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      11-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #15
GS - X3
Best of Both Worlds
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3 M40i - ‘19 R1250GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05cobra View Post

I do still love my X3. I think it is definitely the best bang for buck you can get in the prestige segment. If only it had a significantly better stereo - the car would be so hard to beat in terms of value for money.
For what it’s worth, I had the same opinion of the HK upgrade in my M40i. I was not at all impressed by the lack of sonic range.

I came across a HK thread that mentioned the same issues we are currently discussing, and it turns out that there have been documented instances where a faulty amplifier has been replaced under warranty. I mentioned the fact that the lower range seemed particularly weak when I brought mine in for its first Service, and sure enough, they determined that an amplifier was faulty, and replaced it. An added bonus was the software was also updated with the replacement.

The most interesting thing to me was that the Dealer just happened to have a replacement amplifier on the shelf in their inventory. That tells me that mine was not an isolated occurrence...

I am now happy with the system since change has been made. There are definitely better systems that are available out there, but they also cost significantly more than what we paid to upgrade to the HK.
Appreciate 0