BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-22-2020, 11:24 PM   #1
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

N55 OFHG replaced but still leak

Not the main ofhg seal that’s attached to the cylinder head but the front that connects to the oil cooler.
First one I replaced was oem brand. Drove about 2,000 miles and still pooling. Replaced it again with Mahle brand. Drove for 3 days and is pooling again. I know its not from the oil filter cap because the the whole radius area below the cap is dry.
Im stumped. Ive replaced a couple ofhg on previous n55 and they all turned out perfectly sealed.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Are you certain you removed every piece of the original gasket from the grooved area prior to fitting new gasket?
What about the hose- could that be the possible leak point?

Are torx bolts securing with proper torque?

Did this on N52 recently- suggest you stick with genuine BMW gasket- it's made in Japan; think it's superior to Euro made stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Even over torque it a few nm over after some heat cycles.
Im very meticulous with my work, everything is clean very well.
Ive been reading that people lube the seals prior to installing. I’ve always lube O-ring seal but not these compression seals.
My first seal was geniune bmw, second was Mahle(bmw logo on pkg).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm out of ideas, ugh.

I never lube THESE gasket seals, not required.

Highly unlikely, but maybe the aluminum housing has small crack or the like that only shows issue after few heat cycles. perhaps look over the assembly in very fine detail next time it's in pieces.

good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

I have N20 and OFHG was replaced by dealer 3 times and it's still leaking, I'm think could be the housing it self is bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Are both surface dead flat when accurately checked?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:29 PM   #7
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Looking from the top where the two pieces meet, I don’t see any gaps. Looks perfectly even. The new seals had at least 1-2mm extending out to be compressed.
If oil is leaking out, who knows if the coolant and oil is mixing inside. This is madness.
Ill try one more Genuine seal. Maybe 3rd is a charm.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:13 AM   #8
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Best of luck, I'm following this one- keep us posted, damn this is not a complex component by any stretch, we must all be missing something simple (?).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:56 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
Looking from the top where the two pieces meet, I don’t see any gaps. Looks perfectly even. The new seals had at least 1-2mm extending out to be compressed.
If oil is leaking out, who knows if the coolant and oil is mixing inside. This is madness.
Ill try one more Genuine seal. Maybe 3rd is a charm.
What I meant by accurately checking, was NOT by visually looking at the interface, but rather by using a straight edge and feeler gauge to measure the flatness of the interface surfaces to the thousands of an inch. Something may be slightly warped.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #10
dk15jm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive 35i

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but did your third gasket replacement stop the leak? I'm in a similar predicament having replaced the oil cooler gasket twice now and still having oil pool up by the oil filter cap. After first replacement I only had oil leaking on to the upper radiator hose area which I now believe was the oil cooler end cap gasket. After the second replacement oil started pooling near the oil filter cap. This is such a pain I have other leaks I need to focus on and I used OEM Elring gaskets both times. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #11
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk15jm View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but did your third gasket replacement stop the leak? I'm in a similar predicament having replaced the oil cooler gasket twice now and still having oil pool up by the oil filter cap. After first replacement I only had oil leaking on to the upper radiator hose area which I now believe was the oil cooler end cap gasket. After the second replacement oil started pooling near the oil filter cap. This is such a pain I have other leaks I need to focus on and I used OEM Elring gaskets both times. Thanks in advance!
Recently ran into this, 18 month old / 8000km Elring gasket failed in -30 C. It did it last winter too in -40 (4 month old / 1500km) but I dismissed it as the oil filter cap. This time it's certainly the gasket as it's seeped out above/below.

Symptom: Minor oil leak at Oil Filter Housing to Oil Cooler connection.

Conditions: -30 Celcius or colder ambient temperature, engine is started after vehicle has sat outside and the engine has cooled to ambient temp. May also happen in slightly warmer conditions (but still below -10), but I'm usually garage parked and haven't been driving much the last two years since Covid hit. Zero leaks in the spring/summer/fall. Might also be impacted by a reduction in humidity.

Conclusion: Elring gasket does not meet the latest spec for the gasket and is not suitable for cold climates. Use only BMW/OE for this gasket.

Did some research, others have had issues with Elring (which is OEM, not the same as genuine/OE). Apparently it's thinner than the BMW gasket which is made by Kibi in Japan. I never had this problem with the factory gasket, only once it was replaced with Elring in fall 2020 as preventative maintenance.

I will be replacing these nearly new gaskets with BMW/Kibi.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 09:20 AM   #12
dk15jm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT_Addict View Post
Recently ran into this, 18 month old / 8000km Elring gasket failed in -30 C. It did it last winter too in -40 (4 month old / 1500km) but I dismissed it as the oil filter cap. This time it's certainly the gasket as it's seeped out above/below.

Conditions: -30 Celcius or colder ambient temperature, engine is started after vehicle has sat outside and the engine has cooled to ambient temp. May also happen in slightly warmer conditions (but still below -10), but I'm usually garage parked and haven't been driving much the last two years since Covid hit. Zero leaks in the spring/summer/fall. Might also be impacted by a reduction in humidity.

Conclusion: Elring gasket does not meet the latest spec for the gasket and is not suitable for cold climates. Use only BMW/OE for this gasket.

Did some research, others have had issues with Elring (which is OEM, not the same as genuine/OE). Apparently it's thinner than the BMW gasket which is made by Kibi in Japan. I never had this problem with the factory gasket, only once it was replaced with Elring in fall 2020 as preventative maintenance.

Thanks for the info 6MT_Addict! I’ll be doing the same as it’s leaking bad now. Just wondering if this applies to other gaskets as well
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 02:24 AM   #13
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk15jm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT_Addict View Post

Thanks for the info 6MT_Addict! I’ll be doing the same as it’s leaking bad now. Just wondering if this applies to other gaskets as well
You're welcome! No idea on other gaskets, personally I would use BMW only or consider the Bav Auto gasket as it's apparently designed for lifetime use.

Appreciate 0