BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
MHF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sedan

Hi All,

I'm considering picking one of these up and was hoping to get some feedback from those who own one, particularly any red flags to be aware of or costly maintenance items. All the reviews I've read seem to suggest that overall this is a solid vehicle. I have an F30 with the N20 and am privy of the timing chain issues, but from my understanding the 2015 after a certain date (March?) onward are unaffected by this. Primary use would be a work commuter.

Also before I'm told, I would love to get the V6, but it's out of my range at this time.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Edit: Title was supposed to be 15/16
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

My wife as a 16 X3 sdrive28i and uses it for her daily commute to work. It's been almost flawless. Only two minor issues so far in 5 years of ownership. 1) window seal on rear passenger side door failed fresh out of factory. 2) driver seat bottom ripped. Both replaced under warranty.
No other mechanical or electrical problems.

Only other annoyance is it seems to burn a quart of oil every 1k to 2k miles. We've started using a slightly heavier weight oil (factory wants 0w-20, we started to use 5w-30) and it hasn't burned any since.
Appreciate 1
MHF30123.50
      09-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHF30 View Post
Hi All,

I'm considering picking one of these up and was hoping to get some feedback from those who own one, particularly any red flags to be aware of or costly maintenance items. All the reviews I've read seem to suggest that overall this is a solid vehicle. I have an F30 with the N20 and am privy of the timing chain issues, but from my understanding the 2015 after a certain date (March?) onward are unaffected by this. Primary use would be a work commuter.

Also before I'm told, I would love to get the V6, but it's out of my range at this time.

I have a 2016 with N20 and tuned with BM3....bought CPO.... have 57000 miles now.

Not one problem.
      09-21-2020, 11:55 PM   #4
MHF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
My wife as a 16 X3 sdrive28i and uses it for her daily commute to work. It's been almost flawless. Only two minor issues so far in 5 years of ownership. 1) window seal on rear passenger side door failed fresh out of factory. 2) driver seat bottom ripped. Both replaced under warranty.
No other mechanical or electrical problems.

Only other annoyance is it seems to burn a quart of oil every 1k to 2k miles. We've started using a slightly heavier weight oil (factory wants 0w-20, we started to use 5w-30) and it hasn't burned any since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHF30 View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2016 with N20 and tuned with BM3....bought CPO.... have 57000 miles now.

Not one problem.
That's great to hear. Consumer Reports rates it pretty highly too. I think it ranks third for the 2016 model year amongst it's competitors in terms of reliability, bested only by the RDX and NX. Going to test drive one this weekend hopefully, should be interesting to see how it does.

Also, regarding the oil weight, I did the same on my F30 and noticed I haven't had the issue since (happened once or twice).
Appreciate 0