BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #23
hamy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Thank you so much for confirming! I'll have mine in for service next week and see if they come to the same conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #24
monmart
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gray X3 M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydP View Post
here is a video.... you can really hear the metallic rattle starting at 0:10

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ojl...ew?usp=sharing
Dude that is the SAME sound I have (but louder). It's louder when cold and then it quiets down after it's warmed up or you've been driving around right?

My wife has the car now but I will do a video in the morning.

ALSO... I wanted to note that I only started noticing this sound AFTER they installed some aftermarket cat-less downpipes. I took it back to the shop but the car was already warmed up and it made no rattle noise. But in the morning it's loud as F***. Makes you feel your driving a piece of crap leaving the house.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #25
LloydP
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 X5MC, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monmart View Post
Dude that is the SAME sound I have (but louder). It's louder when cold and then it quiets down after it's warmed up or you've been driving around right?

My wife has the car now but I will do a video in the morning.

ALSO... I wanted to note that I only started noticing this sound AFTER they installed some aftermarket cat-less downpipes. I took it back to the shop but the car was already warmed up and it made no rattle noise. But in the morning it's loud as F***. Makes you feel your driving a piece of crap leaving the house.

I'll keep you guys updated.
The issue I had was constant and most noticeable at light accelerations and in noise acoustic boosting areas (parking garage, next to a tall, dense wall, etc).

Turned out to be a broken exhaust bracket and work ticket is below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sd306380.50
      09-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #26
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I was going to post about a broken exhaust bracket weld as I had that on my F80 and it needed a whole new system as it's a one piece unit.
Well they're telling me there is a part, but if they don't get a date for the part by Xmas I'll push harder. Not too bothered about getting a new exhaust given the time it will take to fit versus the bracket!
Only Takes about 10 days to ship a new Akrapovic exhaust system. Even comes with extra horsepower. Rattle fixed!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      09-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #27
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Only Takes about 10 days to ship a new Akrapovic exhaust system. Even comes with extra horsepower. Rattle fixed!
You have it installed already?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #28
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
The only annoying noise I've got is a little brake squeal occasionally when feathering to a stop at traffic lights, after its rained when the brakes are slightly damp. Not in the dry, not in the wet. Seems to be the front left. It's apparently common with M car brakes and BMW see it as a feature. May or may not go away as they bed in. Anyone else?
Same here had will all the BMW's I've owned but is definitely worse on this car. Dealer had the car for another issue and basically serviced all the brakes (new parts etc) but like you I was also told is a feature of an M car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #29
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

My 2020 Z4 M40i has this rattle, but only at highways speeds. I have it booked in for next wednesday at the dealership.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #30
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
You have it installed already?
Not yet I'll post as soon as I have it. Between Covid and wildfires and then a late addition of the exhaust my timetable for delivery keeps getting pushed back. We're still waiting for the wheels to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #31
Evchambs15
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M

Hey Moff - I was hearing a sound similar to a turbo whistle, but deeper pitch. Turns out it was the rear diff. Had to wait 2.5 weeks for that to get fixed...and as I'm about to get it back, they notice the AC isn't working. Thursday will be a month I haven't had it. Not even 1500 miles yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #32
twinturbomann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i, 2022 X6 X40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evchambs15 View Post
Hey Moff - I was hearing a sound similar to a turbo whistle, but deeper pitch. Turns out it was the rear diff. Had to wait 2.5 weeks for that to get fixed...and as I'm about to get it back, they notice the AC isn't working. Thursday will be a month I haven't had it. Not even 1500 miles yet.

Holy sh*t, mine was making this same sound under the same low speed conditions and after a month they replaced the rear diff and both turbos. After I got the car back i noticed the sound was still there, but wanted the car back for a bit. Going to schedule to take it back with this great info. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:33 AM   #33
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

My 2020 X3M with 13000km just had its muffler replaced for the exhaust rattle. Seems fixed for now, will update if it comes back.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 08:37 AM   #34
penfold2105
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d M Performance

Hey I know it's not an X car but engines are same I guess.

Hey I wonder if anyone knows what this noise is. Happens when the engine is cold. Sounds like some rattle with the rpm.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j6z...w?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 0